Journals stagnating?

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 32 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 9842
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 17 2016 4:13 PM

Matthew Miller:

MJB 2.1 will not be shipping in March.

I know some will be disappointed but that is good news for those of us wanting to invest in March Madness winners.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 17 2016 4:30 PM

Thanks Matthew! That's all I needed to know. 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 3271
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 17 2016 10:28 PM

The response to the first round of journal bundles was really positive. Based on that, we planned to do quarterly updates, where we'd add the latest volumes/issues from the existing journals and any new journals we'd licensed since the last update. But this is proving to be too much too quickly for enough customers to keep funding journal production at that pace. We'd still love to ship quarterly updates, but I think we're going to have to be more intentional about how many new journals (as opposed to updates to existing journals) we add each quarter to ensure that the price is workable for enough people's budgets.

We're digging in to what it would take to cover the deficit and ship 2.1, and we're also planning to try smaller releases each quarter moving forward.

Question: What is your budget for journals? Knowing this will help us decide how to pace our acquisition and development. Take this short survey to help us decide.

Posts 2583
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2016 12:26 AM

I think the survey is a great idea.  I am not sure what "subscription" means.  Temporary access?

~~Shudder~~  

If it means subscribe to permanent journal updates---that would be more interesting.

Posts 1272
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2016 3:21 AM

I'm hugely in favour of the rental model. I think it will make the material accessible to more people in the long run. I'm totally against it being offered without a great option for me as someone who invested lots of cash already. I don't want to open a can of worms but I will feel hugely disappointed if it costs the same for me to keep my master journal bundle up to date as someone who is only renting. Essentially my big spend will have been wasted.

My preferred option for journals is to pay something like $8.99 per month or $89.99 per year and have the latest issues of whatever I have included as ownership preferably the same day they are available in print! This would function exactly like a journal subscription! If someone wants this months issues they buy or subscribe this month. If they want back issues then the back issue catalogue is available to purchase or rent.

In brief please offer a journal subscription which is non rental just like in print!

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 179
Jim Snowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2016 3:53 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

We're digging in to what it would take to cover the deficit and ship 2.1

Hi Phil

I don't understand what that means. Is it that there are a lot of things not done that were in the original list for 2.1 and you are deciding whether to do them or not?  Is there no timescale now for the production of 2.1?

Jim

Posts 9842
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2016 8:26 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
I think we're going to have to be more intentional about how many new journals (as opposed to updates to existing journals) we add each quarter to ensure that the price is workable for enough people's budgets.

I think this is wise.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 5206
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2016 8:47 AM

I wish they would update Master's Seminary Journal.  The last volume was from 2007 (Volume 18)

Posts 3271
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2016 9:49 AM

Jim Snowden:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

We're digging in to what it would take to cover the deficit and ship 2.1

Hi Phil

I don't understand what that means. Is it that there are a lot of things not done that were in the original list for 2.1 and you are deciding whether to do them or not?  Is there no timescale now for the production of 2.1?

Jim

The cost to produce all the journals in 2.1 is higher than the amount that's been committed to the Pre-Pub. The only things in question are (1) when to ship (not if) and (2) how to generate enough sales to cover all of the production costs.

Posts 1272
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2016 10:07 AM

Phil, I I think the reason you haven't got enough sales yet is because you aren't offering a reasonable deal yet. My Master Journal bundle is ok for finding the odd old paper but it isn't going to keep me in the loop with the latest thinking/research like a subscription to a real journal would. I think if you were offering a proper journal subscription you'd see some proper investment...

That's my thoughts...

Thanks, John

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 179
Jim Snowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2016 10:25 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

The cost to produce all the journals in 2.1 is higher than the amount that's been committed to the Pre-Pub. The only things in question are (1) when to ship (not if) and (2) how to generate enough sales to cover all of the production costs.

There might be a problem though with delaying the completion in order to wait for more to sign up to the prepub. The longer the delay, the more likely it is that people will drop their current prepub bid and move the allocated money to something else or source the latest journals elsewhere. Then it will never be completed and you might lose the money spent so far on the bundle production Of course, I don't know what percentage of the  production has been completed so far - whether 5% or 95%, nor how much of the total cost has been covered so far by prepubs. But I thought that prepubs were only moved in to the "In Development" stage when a good proportion of the costs had been covered by prepub orders?

Posts 1074
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2016 11:26 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

(2) how to generate enough sales to cover all of the production costs.

I completely understand this requirement. But it also highlights one of the pitfalls with increasingly complex tagging and "value additions" to resources. My preference has always been for more offerings at lower production costs even if tagging were not as detailed. Now, I can't believe Novum Testamentum is feasible in Vyrso format, but something like a Logos-lite would work for me, because the real "thinking" when encountering a journal article is done more with human brains than searches, anyway.

Besides, if we could look 20 years into the future, as tagging gets more and more complicated and costly, pre-pubs to journals (and other resources) may eventually never cover production costs.

(Saying this reveals my ignorance to the nuts and bolts to resource production, but on some level, it seems like the concept is sound.)

Posts 259
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2016 11:45 AM

Lew Worthington stated: My preference has always been for more offerings at lower production costs even if tagging were not as detailed.

I agree.  I tend to fish for books with a rod rather than a net. Follow Lew's proposal, I  could acquire the right books in an area of interest and do so at a better cost.  Then as I explore other waters, I could again buy what I need.  I would spend more this way over time.

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS