Emphasize Active References

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 19 2016 9:49 AM

I decided to write this for two reasons: 

(1) This is discussed in a recent video on BDAG but if someone does not watch the video to the end, they may miss this (happened to me).

(2) It has come up in the course of other threads but in a less focused way.

It is the new "link to open panels". What it does is that when you have a resource that is organized according to references, if you open another resource that mention this reference, it will be highlighted so as to make it easier to spot. For instance, in the case of BDAG, if you had Romans 3:24 opened in your Bible and looked up "redemption" then selected "Emphasize active references" (EAR) in BDAG, you would see highlighted in the lexical entry the place where your passage is discussed. Of course, if your passage is not specifically listed, nothing will be highlighted.

I think it only works from primary sources such as Dead Sea Scrolls, Josephus, church fathers, etc, and commentaries that are indexed according to these datatypes. For instance, if I have a commentary opened at Zechariah 9:9 and open a journal that mentions it and have EAR on, the reference in the journal will be highlighted. However, an entry in Nave's that has Zech 9:9 will not cause highlighting in the journal article, because -- I think -- Nave's is not organized by reference, but by headwords. 

So, there you have it. Feel free to add material I have missed or correct anything not quite so in what I wrote. But for those who did not know, now you understand the importance of being all ears when you study in Logos!

Posts 26795
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2016 12:43 PM

Francis:
However, an entry in Nave's that has Zech 9:9 will not cause highlighting in the journal article, because -- I think -- Nave's is not organized by reference, but by headwords. 

Correct. But the Zech 9:9 entry in Nave's will be highlighted by a commentary/bible opened at Zech 9:9

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2016 3:18 AM

Works also with Perseus/Loeb volumes, but not with the Harvard Classics since they are versified.

Posts 5
David Reed | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 1 2021 5:40 PM

I cannot get "emphasize active references" to work at all in BDAG.

Posts 24885
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 1 2021 10:09 PM

Hi David - and welcome to the forums

David Reed:

I cannot get "emphasize active references" to work at all in BDAG.

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

As you can see, this is working for me:

This is an old thread in a forum relating to a no-longer supported product.

Please start a new thread in https://community.logos.com/forums/155.aspx (assuming you are running Logos 9) and provide as many details as possible including:

• which platform you are running on
  • which version of Logos you are using
  • a screenshot (use the paperclip icon in the forum editor) showing the word / reference you are examining in BDAG

Graham

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS