Logos is too slow

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 675
Jim | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 29 2016 12:21 PM

I've noticed that the latest version of Logos, 6.9 SR-1 6.9.0.0044 (on a Windows 7 system) as well as the Android app take much more time to start up than the previous versions. It's getting to the point that if I want quickly call up and read a Bible passage and Logos isn't open, its far faster to us a web browser. Even though the Android app is already in the  queue it is taking much longer to recall the app to a useful state. Is there an effort to get Logos to start faster? 

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 25212
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 29 2016 12:51 PM

Jim:
I've noticed that the latest version of Logos, 6.9 SR-1 6.9.0.0044 (on a Windows 7 system) as well as the Android app take much more time to start up than the previous versions.

I've seen similar reports but haven't seen the problem myself - what sort of load times are you seeing on your Windows platform?

Posts 29802
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 29 2016 1:41 PM

Jim:

I've noticed that the latest version of Logos, 6.9 SR-1 6.9.0.0044 (on a Windows 7 system) as well as the Android app take much more time to start up than the previous versions.

For clarification: the desktop and mobile apps are completely unrelated. If you are having troubles with your android phone, you should create a thread in the Android forum. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3349
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 29 2016 9:38 PM

See above but a just little Hint. Dit you try open with blank Layout?

Posts 675
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2016 8:36 AM

Graham Criddle:
what sort of load times are you seeing on your Windows platform?

About 30 seconds.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 675
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2016 8:38 AM

Sascha John:
Dit you try open with blank Layout?

A blank layout is definitely faster, but then I have to wait to load a usable layout. For a long time I've been hoping Logos would improve their load and screen switching times, but the latest release seems much slower.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 25212
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2016 8:39 AM

Unless you are opening to a complex layout this seems more slower than would be expected.

Please enable diagnosis logging and post logs after starting and stopping Logos.

Details at https://www.logos.com/support/logos6/windows/report-problem 

Posts 255
Pastor James | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2016 11:59 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but are you talking about how long it takes to initially Launch Logos? If you are, I would love to have it launch in 30 seconds. I just tested mine at 84 seconds.

Posts 25212
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2016 1:40 PM

Pastor James:
Forgive my ignorance, but are you talking about how long it takes to initially Launch Logos?

Yes

Pastor James:
If you are, I would love to have it launch in 30 seconds. I just tested mine at 84 seconds.

In which case please go ahead and post logs as per my post above. Ideally in a new thread so if the causes are different they can be treated separately

Please also provide details of your system configuration.

Posts 3076
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2016 2:37 PM

Mine took 75 seconds to open and an additional 14 seconds before it would respond to any input (on my laptop). This is a Dell laptop running Win 7 SP1 with 4GB RAM and an i5 2.5GHz processor, 32-bit.

My desktop took a 114 seconds to open, and it would respond immediately. This is a Dell Optiplex 780 running Win 7 SP1 with 2GB RAM and a Duo Core CPU at 3 GHz, 32-bit.

Both my computers at home are 64-bit machines. I'll try it again when I get home tonight.

I've just accepted this is how slow the thing is.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 25212
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2016 3:29 PM

Doc B:
with 2GB RAM

I think this amount of memory could be part of the issue on that system.

What type of disks do you have? If conventional hard disks what RPM?

Posts 3076
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2016 10:50 AM

Graham Criddle:

Conventional and I'm pretty sure they are 5400.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 25212
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2016 11:00 AM

Doc B:

Graham Criddle:

Conventional and I'm pretty sure they are 5400.

5400 has often been suggested as the cause of slow Logos operation - I wouldn't be surprised if that's the issue 

Posts 1565
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2016 11:55 AM

I have a new Toshiba Satellite Radius 12, 256GB SSD, i5 Core 6200U CPU, 8GB RAM, Windows 10. It feels a lot faster than my previous 2GB RAM Atom (Windows 8.1) tablet with Logos installed on MicroSD card.

I'm generally happy with the performance of Logos 6. But it's still by far the slowest and most sluggish app I use.

I haven't timed the startup time of Logos until now. It opens in 50 seconds (from click of icon to responsive).

Is that considered acceptable? Slow?

The reasons I'm asking are:

1) If this is relatively slow for this laptop's specs, I still have time to return it.

2) I remember when I first installed Logos on my previous tablet last year, the response time was snappier (didn't think to time it then). Then it got slower and slower until it became not usable and I had to buy a new machine. I'm afraid this may happen to my new laptop (as Windows OS has a way of aging very rapidly in my experience).

Any advise is welcome, thanks!

Peter

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2016 12:13 PM

Graham Criddle:
5400 has often been suggested as the cause of slow Logos operation

Hardware advances over the last few years have superseded that old axiom! 5400 will always be slower than 7200 and 10000 RPM disks but data density increases have improved access speeds to the extent that a well-maintained* 1 TB, 5400 RPM, 2.5 inch drive isn't slowing Logos when coupled with a  decent multi-core CPU (e.g. Core i7-5500U**), dedicated graphics, 8 GB or more memory and a decent mainboard. That's my system! Under Windows 10, Logos opens in 20s.

* defrag regularly and don't let free space drop below 25% (I usually have over 40% free).

** a low power, two-core i7 with 4 threads @ 2.4 - 3.0 GHz

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 675
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2016 3:23 PM

Logos 6 is, and always has been, the slowest program to load on my computer too. (Lenovo laptop, with Intel Dual core i5 CPU, 16GB Ram; 7200 RPM 500 GB HDD with plenty of free space and defragged frequently). This morning it took 135 seconds to load to a usable state. I haven't yet had time to debug it.

Recently I upgraded a program called MindManager from MindJet which, though not as slow as Logos was always slow - also for over 15 years of use. Somehow MindManager 2016 now opens and closes almost instantly. I know it's a complex issue but it seems that there is hope for improvement. 

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 25212
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2016 3:23 PM

Thanks Dave

Very helpful

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2016 10:32 PM

PL:
I have a new Toshiba Satellite Radius 12, 256GB SSD, i5 Core 6200U CPU, 8GB RAM, Windows 10. It feels a lot faster than my previous 2GB RAM Atom (Windows 8.1) tablet with Logos installed on MicroSD card.

I haven't timed the startup time of Logos until now. It opens in 50 seconds (from click of icon to responsive).

Does moving Logos to 256 GB SSD change startup time ?  Logos wiki has => https://wiki.logos.com/Install_in_different_folder_or_drive

Opening 6.9 SR-1 to a blank layout took 22 seconds on a laptop with Windows 7, Crucial 512 GB MX100 SSD, i7-3610QM, 16 GB RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M.  Windows Task Manager showed some CPU spikes while application was opening.

Passmark shows i5-6200U benchmark of 3,899 while i7-3610QM benchmark is 7,464 => http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-6200U+%40+2.30GHz so this 3rd Generation i7 is 91 % faster than this 6th Generation i5 model.  The 512 GB Crucial MX100 SSD has sequential write speed of 500 MB/s with sequential read speed of 550 MB/s.  The best MicroSD card has top write speed of 55.8 MB/s with read of 92 MB/s  => http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-microsd-card/

Suspect SSD and CPU speeds account for startup time difference.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3349
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 3 2016 12:11 AM

24 Sec to start (Desktop, Windows 10)

Posts 1565
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2016 8:38 AM

KS4J, thanks for your analysis. Neither the SSD nor the CPU is something I can change at this point, so I'll have to live with it.

Thanks,

Peter

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS