Help with searching Hebrew phrase

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
Jane Nicholas | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 12 2016 7:40 AM

I am doing a study on John 1:14 - where Jesus is said to be full of grace and truth.  Several commentaries refer back to Exodus 34:6 saying these words are closely related to the Hebrew "hesed" and "emet" - which the commentaries mention are used to describe God's nature in other places in Scripture.

I am a lay person.. completely knew to the languages.  The videos have been educational, but I have not been able to figure out how to use LOGOS to search for both Hebrew words used together. 

If anyone can advise, I would appreciate greatly!

Jane

Posts 99
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 12 2016 9:21 AM

Hi Jane,

There are probably better ways to do this, but here's how I do it:

- Go to Ex 34:6

- Right click on "steadfast love" (or whatever your English translation has for hesed).

- On the right side of the menu, choose "Lemma" where it says "hesed" phonetically and it says "loyalty; joint obligation."

- On the left side menu, choose "Search: this research." This will open up a new tab with the "Morph" search already selected and your first word already in the search field. (You could have just clicked on the main Search button, clicked Morph, and typed in "h:hesed." I'll explain that in a second.) 

- After it says "lemma:2:hsd" type in WITHIN 5 WORDS h:emet

- A drop-down menu will appear with Hebrew words and their gloss meanings, select the one that says "truth; firmness" etc.

I got 50 results in 25 verses. Of course, you could change the number of words in "WITHIN X WORDS" and you might get a different result.

So here's what we've done: We've gone to the Search area and told it we want to do a Morph search. Then we told it we wanted to search for two words that are within X number of words from each other.

The part you needed to know is how do we search for Hebrew words without knowing those words or how to spell them in Hebrew. You can use the transliterated line of your reverse interlinear pane to get how to spell the Hebrew word in English. Then in the Search area you simply type"h:" followed by the word in English and let the drop-down list show you what it thinks you're looking for, and select the right one. It will then enter the actual Hebrew for you. You can do the same think for Greek by typing "g:" followed by the transliterated Greek word.

Like I said, I'm sure someone like MJ. Smith could show us ten better ways to do it, but this is what I know to do.

Hope it helps!

Posts 99
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 12 2016 9:36 AM

...I also tried just typing in the two words without the WITHIN 5 WORDS" operator and I got 69 results in 33 verses. Just go to Search and Morph and type "h:hesed h:emet" (and choose the right word from the drop-down of each).

Posts 2
Jane Nicholas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 12 2016 10:30 AM

Thank you so much!  I was able to get it to work the second way you suggested.  The first way made sense, but each time I tried to type ("WITHIN 5 WORDS") after the Hebrew text for 'hesed' in the search tab - it would take the cursor to before the Hebrew... I guess because Hebrew writing goes right to left?

But for some reason it allowed me to keep entering left to right the second way. 

I appreciate you taking the time to help!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 12 2016 1:24 PM

Jane Nicholas:
The first way made sense, but each time I tried to type ("WITHIN 5 WORDS") after the Hebrew text for 'hesed' in the search tab - it would take the cursor to before the Hebrew... I guess because Hebrew writing goes right to left?

Welcome Big Smile

Inline interlinear can show Surface text and Transliterated Manuscript.  Hebrew Transliteration using English letters is Left to Right:

FYI: Old Testament Manuscript is primarily Hebrew.  Some parts of the Old Testament are written in Aramaic: Ezra 4:6–6:18 , Ezra  7:12–26 , Daniel 2:4–7:28 , Jeremiah 10:11 and two words in Genesis 31:47

Hebrew is written from Right to Left so can use Right arrow key to move cursor to the end of Hebrew lemma:

followed by typing " WITHIN 5 WORDS " then type Hebrew transliteration so can choose lemma from pop-up

Another right click menu option for lemma is Bible Word Study (BWS):

BWS has translation rings to show range of English words used.  Sense section shows Bible Sense Lexicon range of usage.  BWS has more sections to explore.

Screen shot has Morph Search of:

lemma:חֶ֫סֶד:2 WITHIN 5 WORDS lemma:אֱמֶת

Copied Morph Search panel to a new tab followed by changing to Bible Search with a collection of my preferred Bibles.  Note: Top Bibles only searches the Top Five Bibles while a collection of preferred Bibles allows more to be searched.  My primary use for preferred Bibles is Bible Search with Grid results so can compare usage in many Bibles.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10864
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 12 2016 1:28 PM

Jane Nicholas:
The first way made sense, but each time I tried to type ("WITHIN 5 WORDS") after the Hebrew text for 'hesed' in the search tab - it would take the cursor to before the Hebrew... I guess because Hebrew writing goes right to left?
I was able to construct a similar search in MS Word and then paste it into the search field.

(lemma:תּוֹרָה) WITHIN 5 WORDS (lemma:מֹשֶׁה)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS