Searching for journal articles by author

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1977
Mark | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 21 2016 5:40 PM

Is it possible to search in all journals for every article written by a particular author?  I am not asking about finding an author's name in an article.  I am asking if I can search and find all articles written by a particular author.

Posts 1648
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 21 2016 6:05 PM

Mark:
Is it possible to search in all journals for every article written by a particular author?  I am not asking about finding an author's name in an article.  I am asking if I can search and find all articles written by a particular author.

1. Create a collection of your journals, i.e. type:journal.
    If collections are new, see https://wiki.logos.com/Collections
  2. Start a Basic search in your "Journals" collection (or whatever you called it).

3. Instead of searching "all text", use the search field "author".

Note that some of the older journals may not have been undated so as to mark the author to match this search. But this finds the articles where the author has been marked.

Posts 1977
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 21 2016 8:54 PM

Thanks.  I seemed to have forgotten about the search fields.  Thanks

Posts 27967
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 21 2016 9:31 PM

Or you could simply do what HELP suggests:

{Label Journal Article WHERE Author ~ "whomever"}

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 53
LogosEmployee
Michael Meiser (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2016 10:00 AM

MJ. Smith:

Or you could simply do what HELP suggests:

{Label Journal Article Where Author ~ "whomever"}

Thanks for your addition here, MJ. I was curious to see if the author field and the new labeled data for journal articles were running on the same dataset. So I ran a couple searches to check. It appears that they are not from two searches I ran of the same collection. Here is the first on the name "keller."

Here is the same search using the name "carson."

I highlighted the difference here in the second query. My thought is that the field search is a separate dataset that is older and more comprehensive in nature than the newer searchable labels. Older journals that have not been included in the new journal collections (e.g. JETS and Faith & Mission) appear to not be included in the newer labeled data set. I found this very interesting, and thought I should share as an FYI.

Free Logos Tutorials on YouTube: Digital Bible Study Made Easy

Posts 10297
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2016 11:49 AM

Mike, 

thanks for sharing. 

Mike Meiser:
Older journals that have not been included in the new journal collections (e.g. JETS and Faith & Mission) appear to not be included in the newer labeled data set. I found this very interesting, and thought I should share as an FYI.

This seems to be true for Emmaus Journal (yellow box) as well. However, what I found more disturbing is the Label seems not being present in some volumes of the same series, such as Semeia and BRPR, PRR (red boxes): 

This inconsistency is IMO worse than not having the data available at all.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2016 1:26 PM

Mike Meiser:
My thought is that the field search is a separate dataset that is older and more comprehensive in nature than the newer searchable labels. Older journals that have not been included in the new journal collections (e.g. JETS and Faith & Mission) appear to not be included in the newer labeled data set.

I was thinking along the same lines. To capture both, the search string would need to be:

{Label Journal Article WHERE Author ~ "whomever"} OR author:whomever

(also note the uppercase WHERE which was missing from MJ's suggestion)

Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2016 1:32 PM

NB.Mick:
This seems to be true for Emmaus Journal (yellow box) as well. However, what I found more disturbing is the Label seems not being present in some volumes of the same series, such as Semeia and BRPR, PRR (red boxes): 

Looking at Semeia 77 as just one example, two out of 14 articles are missing journal tagging (highlighted in red):

Ethics, Bible, Reading as If
Gary A. Phillips and Danna Nolan Fewell

Drawn to Excess, or Reading Beyond Betrothal
Danna Nolan Fewell

Samson and the Son of God or Dead Heroes and Dead Goats: Ethical Readings of Narrative Violence in Judges and Matthew
Richard G. Bowman,

Hearing the Children’s Cries: Commentary, Deconstruction, Ethics, and the Book of Habbakuk
Chris Heard

‘Tis a Vice to Know Him.’ Readers’ Response-Ability and Responsibility in 2 Chronicles 14–16.
Gerrie Snyman

“I Saw the Book Talk”: A Cultural Studies Approach to the Ethics of an African American Biblical Hermeneutics
Abraham Smith

Biblical Interpretation as a Technology of the Self: Gay Men and the Ethics of Reading
Ken Stone

Do We Want Our Children to Read This Book?
Francis Landy

A Nice Jewish Girl Reads the Gospel of John
Adele Reinhartz

Aesthetic Fascism: Heidegger, Anti-Semitism, and the Quest for Christian Origins
Shawn Kelley

Parables for Our Time? Post-Holocaust Interpretations of the Parables of Jesus
Tania Oldenhage

George Eliot’s Rescripting of Scripture: The “Ethics of Reading” In Silas Marner
Efraim Sicher

When Ethical Question Transform Critical Biblical Studies
Daniel Patte

Hammering Out a Response from One Mennonite’s Perspective
Jo-Ann A. Brant

Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2016 1:33 PM

And in Semeia 79, it's like this - only 2 out of 8:

Introduction: Interpreting Resistance, Resisting Interpretations
Vincent L. Wimbush

The Sermon as “Art” Of Resistance: A Comparative Analysis of the Rhetorics of the African-American Slave Preacher and the Preacher to the Hebrews
Darryl L. Jones

Who’s on Third? Reading Acts of Andrew as a Rhetoric of Resistance
Rosamond C. Rodman

Hailstorms and Fireballs: Redaction, World Creation, and Resistance in the Acts of Paul and Thecla
Margaret P. Aymer

“I Responded, ‘I Will Not …’ ”: Christianity as Catalyst for Resistance in the Passio Perpetuae Et Felicitatis
Lisa M. Sullivan

Christianity, Magic, and Difference: Name-Calling and Resistance Between the Lines in Contra Celsum
Mihwa Choi

Resistance by the Book? Some Questions in Response
Virginia Burrus

Outrageous (Speech) Acts and Everyday (Performative) Rebellions: A Response to Rhetorics of Resistance
Gail Corrington Streete

Posts 27967
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2016 1:42 PM

I agree Mike, NB, Mark ... but

• we are given no indication in HELP of the incompleteness of the tagging
  • we have no simple way to know which resources have the tagging; therefore we have no way to separately search untagged items
  • this is a long standing problem ... last year I found some resources not tagged for the deuterocanon
  • the basic user is affected when the Factbook tags (person, place, thing, event) where the drop down box encourages the use of incomplete tagging for more accurate results ...with no indication that the results are incomplete

I would suggest yet again that

• Logos make all the automatic collections available to the user through the drop down menu (an unrelated item)
  • that the resource searched counts distinguish those without tagging vs. tagged and not found
  • documentation make it clear what Search arguments work only on a subset of resources and identify those resources by type of tagging required
  • the library have available whether or not a resource has a particular type of tagging (yes, no, n/a) and that metadata be available for creating collections.

I sincerely wish / strongly urge Logos to recognize that their expanding of Search functionality is greatly appreciated and a major advantage ... but only to the degree it works. It is acceptable to be an incomplete work in progress only if the user knows it is incomplete and knows a more tedious way to get the rest of the way to complete results.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1107
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 23 2016 11:47 AM

FYI I'm looking into issues addressed by this thread. There are several issues at play that I'd like to address.

For starters: about the missing labels for Semeia. Initially I thought it was a matter of missing labels. Unfortunately, it has turned out to be much more complex than that. At this point I know what's causing the labels to be missing but I don't know why that is.

Posts 1977
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2016 9:37 AM

Kyle

I appreciate attention being brought to this issue.  I just did a search:

{Label Journal Article WHERE Author ~ "Gooding"} OR author:Gooding

and I come up with many articles that have captured "Good" and not just "Gooding". 

I have done other searches, and it does not appear that I am getting what I want.

What I want is to know how many journal articles for example, were written by Carson or by Gooding or by someone else.  I am not wishing to see how many times an author is mentioned in an article, though I could see the benefits of that.  But rather, how many articles were actually written by that author.

Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2016 10:04 AM

Mark:
and I come up with many articles that have captured "Good" and not just "Gooding". 

The syntax is correct for what you want. You just need to turn "Match all word forms" off.

Posts 1977
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2016 10:50 AM

Mark Barnes:
You just need to turn "Match all word forms" off.

I am not seeing that option.

Posts 10297
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2016 12:31 PM

Posts 1977
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2016 6:19 PM

Thanks MB Nick.

Posts 10297
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 19 2016 8:50 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

FYI I'm looking into issues addressed by this thread. There are several issues at play that I'd like to address.

For starters: about the missing labels for Semeia. Initially I thought it was a matter of missing labels. Unfortunately, it has turned out to be much more complex than that. At this point I know what's causing the labels to be missing but I don't know why that is.

Thanks Kyle. From your post in the other thread I assumed the issues now being fixed with an updated three- to four-digit number of journal resources rolled out to us users.

Unfortunately, recreating the search from above shows nearly the same results for me:

I note that Emmaus Journal (yellow) as well as PRR (red box below the yellow one) which showed up as wrong in the initial discussion have not been updated - whereas many of those that seemed correct have been.

What really suprised me was that BR&PR 1967 Vol 39 (red box above the yellow one) has been updated but still misses the author label for Smith!

Regarding the Semeia journals, about half of them have been updated, which means Semeia 77 now has the author label, which fixes one out of formerly ten missing resources. The other one, Semeia 83/84 has not been updated.

So I find that 20% of the resources showing wrong results for this (arbitrary) label search have been updated at all, with a success rate of 50%.

Somehow I expected more... to make matters worse, the update offsets the one correction with the introduction of a new error: "Goldsmith", the author of the "Themes in Hinduism" book review is wrongly labeled as author "Smith" in an updated Themelios magazine (small red box in the left tab above - note that "match all forms" is off in my search) as can be seen here in detail:

Posts 1107
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 20 2016 12:51 PM

I should mention that the fix I mentioned targeted the issues Mark found. It did not address journals that have not been updated since introducing the journal label scheme.

With that in mind, I'll try to respond to all of NB.Mick's questions:

Issue #1: No Author Label for Smith in The Biblical Repertory and Princeton Review, 1867, Vol 39, Nos. 1-4 (BRPR39)

Cause: The discrepancy is caused by an overly liberal use of the author field. According to our production standards it was probably a fair use of the label but also probably not desirable in this case.

Label search is correct. In this instance adding a journal label would have been incorrect.

Issue #2: No Author Label for Smith in Emmaus Jounals Volumes 1, 2, and 11

Cause: As you correctly identified, this resource has never received sermon label data.

Issue #3: No Author Label results for Smith in The Presbyterian and Reformed Review

Cause: These journals have never been updated for journal label tagging.

Issue #4: No Author Label results for Smith in Semeia 83/84

Cause: This was missed in our rebuild mentioned above. I'll rebuild it and it'll be pushed out with the next batch of updates.

I'm going to expand our search results to look to see if any others fell through the cracks.

Issue #5: Weird results for Smith in Themelios Vol. 17

This resource was not updated so there shouldn't have been any changes in search results.

Further I am not able to replicate. I tried different search parameters that you might have used but could not replicate your findings.

Posts 2165
LogosEmployee

Kyle G. Anderson:

Issue #5: Weird results for Smith in Themelios Vol. 17

This resource was not updated so there shouldn't have been any changes in search results.

Further I am not able to replicate. I tried different search parameters that you might have used but could not replicate your findings.

This is because as of 6.13 Beta 2, label searches are case insensitive. Label searches have always returned partial matches as valid results.

Posts 8132
LogosEmployee

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
Label searches have always returned partial matches as valid results.

Clarification: Label searches that use the ~ operator return partial matches. The = operator returns only exact matches.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS