Zeroing into relevant part in BDAG and HAL

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 31
Arthur Yeo | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 25 2016 7:48 AM

When I am already at a Scriptural text and I hover over a word, the Information pane on the top right would retrieve the English dictionary meaning together with the first few lines of what BDAG/HAL says.

Then, I click on BDAG (for example) and it opens a additional pane in the commentary section. Often, BDAG has many shades of meaning and I had to glance through to look if BDAG has a reference to the verse in question.

Is there a fast way to jump straight into that shade of meaning relevant to that word in BDAG without needing to glance through the whole thing looking for that reference?

If not, is there a way to suggest to LOGOS for this improvement?

Posts 711
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2016 8:35 AM

Arthur, you can open a "Search" pane, then click on the "Search" icon (the magnifying glass in the top left corner) and enter in the "Search" window the Biblical book and range of Scripture in which you are working (for example, "Psalm 20"). You will want the "Search" line to read "Search All Text in Hebrew lexica for". Then, just double click on a word in your Hebrew (or Greek) text and, when that word opens, click on "Search Result near the top  right corner of the lexicon page.

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2016 8:58 AM

Perhaps the best way is to turn on "emphasise active references". Then, if BDAG refers to the passage that is open in your Bible, it will be highlighted in red:

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2016 9:09 AM

Arthur Yeo:

When I am already at a Scriptural text and I hover over a word, the Information pane on the top right would retrieve the English dictionary meaning together with the first few lines of what BDAG/HAL says.

Then, I click on BDAG (for example) and it opens a additional pane in the commentary section. Often, BDAG has many shades of meaning and I had to glance through to look if BDAG has a reference to the verse in question.

Is there a fast way to jump straight into that shade of meaning relevant to that word in BDAG without needing to glance through the whole thing looking for that reference?

If not, is there a way to suggest to LOGOS for this improvement?

While it seems an attractive option to have the meaning/gloss identified specifically for you, I recommend looking through the entire entry and examining the references given so as to determine WHY a particular meaning/gloss might be preferable.  Usually any identified meaning/gloss will be correct, but you need to be able to determine why that is (or is not) the correct understanding.  Does it require more time and effort?  Definitely, but that is how you learn.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2016 9:58 AM

I don't know how 'usually any identified meaning/gloss will be correct' could be demonstrated, absent simply saying it's correct. Religious-wise anyway. The principle is easy to demonstrate by prattling on what the pastor  meant in Sunday's sermon, while he's sitting there grimacing. 

I'd think simply clicking on the translation of ones choice and it popping up with the exact same word should do the trick.

Morning, George.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2016 10:08 AM

Denise:

I don't know how 'usually any identified meaning/gloss will be correct' could be demonstrated, absent simply saying it's correct. Religious-wise anyway. The principle is easy to demonstrate by prattling on what the pastor  meant in Sunday's sermon, while he's sitting there grimacing. 

I'd think simply clicking on the translation of ones choice and it popping up with the exact same word should do the trick.

Morning, George.

It can be demonstrated to be correct by reference to the context in which such a meaning/gloss is used elsewhere.  If a meaning/gloss is contrary to its understanding in other similar contexts, it is not correct.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 31
Arthur Yeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2016 2:59 PM

Mark Barnes,

Great find. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS