Android App vs. IOS App Which Tablet?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 2 2016 6:47 PM

I am considering getting a new device, and the Logos app will be one of the main uses.  I am considering getting either a Samsung Tab S2 or an iPad Pro (or possibly an Air 2).  I know that early on the IOS app was far ahead of the Android app.  How do they compare now?

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2016 7:12 PM

I will let others speak of the virtues of the two apps... One thing that troubled me is quality of the android tablets. My helper's son got a samsung tablet shortly after I got my 3rd gen iPad... within a year he was having a lot of troubles with it within 2 years it was completely dead. My iPad is still working perfectly other than running out of space. Now maybe samsung tabs are built better or you do not want something that will last. But just bringing these things up for you to consider. 

-Dan

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2016 7:15 PM

Dan Francis:

I will let others speak of the virtues of the two apps... One thing that troubled me is quality of the android tablets. My helper's son got a samsung tablet shortly after I got my 3rd gen iPad... within a year he was having a lot of troubles with it within 2 years it was completely dead. My iPad is still working perfectly other than running out of space. Now maybe samsung tabs are built better or you do not want something that will last. But just bringing these things up for you to consider. 

-Dan

That is certainly a consideration, but I think it has to do with the open source nature of Android.  There are so many companies making cheap devices that run Android.  Many of them cost around $100.  I think the Samsung devices should be on the same level of quality as the Apple devices.  

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 948
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2016 9:05 PM

I've had an Asus Transformer Prime since they came out and now issues.  I think the apps are on pad with Android pulling ahead.  

Posts 2002
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2016 9:37 PM

Android book covers are still on low quality when compared to iOS. But Samsung's contrast, I believe, is better for reading.

Anywho, if I have the money I'd buy iPad Pro. Great for preaching (make sure its already on the pulpit-stand before you go up), and great for bed reading. vs Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 that hasn't been updated in 2 years.

On the side note, don't get Air 2, get Air 1 instead, almost identical & cheaper.

Posts 30536
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2016 4:36 AM

mike:
On the side note, don't get Air 2, get Air 1 instead, almost identical & cheaper.

They just dropped the price. The Air 2 starts at $399.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27

I have the Galaxy Tab S2 and it is great.

I got mine on a fantastic Black Friday week deal and got the 64 GB version cheaper than than the 32 GB.

The Logos app runs very well and I have plenty of space to have all of my commentaries available offline.  When deciding which tablet to get don't forget that most Android tablets let you add storage via SD card.

While I haven't tried it yet I know that I am able to also use a mouse with my tablet and so I could use remote desktop to access the full Windows Logos software if I needed and be "productive like a boss".

Posts 1271
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2016 6:15 AM

The only real differences I've noticed are that on iPad you can select which interlinear lines are visible and also the accessibility features make it possible to listen to you book in text to speech.

On android you can't do either of those but... I have an iPad and a Kindle Fire. I tend to reach for the Kindle Fire when I'm using Logos because the smaller device is more comfortable for reading. I'm not bothered by the screen being less good - it's still better than computers I was using until recently. I had been using the Send to Kindle feature to make it possible to listen to my books on the Kindle Fire too. (naturally I've sent almost all my books to Kindle this month so I can keep enjoying this.)

My experience with the Kindle Fire has caused me not to upgrade my iPad from a 3rd gen. I'm thinking to simply sell it. I am well aware it is a far superior device and able to do lots more but in almost every case were I was preferring my iPad to the Kindle I was also  preferring my macbook to the iPad. Essentially the iPad seems to be a way over powered tablet and way under-powered laptop. That's my thoughts...

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2016 7:08 AM

I very much doubt you'll choose from your question. The two product lines are very competitive.

I choose ios for a single reason ... one company driven to secure. We also use Google's hardware for the exact same reason, and both good. Single company, frequency of updates. Reasonable designs. Wide range of apps.

Why secure a reason?  Of course, banking, but medical is next.  I look forward to the day my charts are on my device ... not hidden in the doctor's hands. And the conversation is on the go.

Logos-wise, I refuse to touch the android version. When I select Bible, I select to read, not look at Faithlife stuff. Maybe Logos changed this ... Kevin can correct me.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2844
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2016 8:22 AM

For me the biggest reason I went Apple/iOS was getting updates to my device as long as possible. Fragmentation of operating system/lack of updates for Android devices that are not new is a big problem. 

As the attached chart shows which came out about 4 weeks ago, 79% of ALL operating iOS devices are on the latest version of the software. The other chart shows that in the Android world, over 60% of all Android devices are KitKat or older, which is 2.5 years old or more and three or more generations of OS behind - an eternity in the world of security updates, much less improved features/functions. Marshmallow, the latest version of Android OS, has been out for 6 months this week, and only 2% of devices are on it. That was a deal killer for me.

These days there are devices that are regularly updated in the Android world, but most are not - if you decide this is important to you, do the research to find out (I think Google's own branded devices are updated regularly, for example). 

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2016 11:06 AM

Thanks for all of the replies!   I ended up getting and 64GB iPad Air 2.  I got it for many of the reasons specified here, and it always bothered me that the dictionary didn't work in the Android version.  I know that is a small thing, but I use it a lot on IOS devices.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS