Graham Criddle ... does your Bible Comparison work in Esther?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 10309
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 23 2016 7:21 PM

I think he's busy on his day job (the important one).

When I used my Bibles collection, the Bible Comparison tool (L6) went into a 35% CPU loop, when looking at Esther 2:14 (or any other Esther numeric verse).

I played around ... it looks like Esther A causes the problem (typically some of the Catholic Bibles).

Not critical ... 

Posts 26999
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 7:31 PM

I have no problems with the section ... what Bibles are you using? What is your highest priority Bible and how did you specify the passage?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10309
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 8:02 PM

Answering your queries:

- I'm pulling maybe 20-30 Bibles, english versions (collection)

- I don't prioritize Bibles; they're sorted by name in the collection

- Example: Est 2:14 (or simply select from the drop down)

The reason I queried Graham, is he (and you) would be more familiar with Bibles that use versification like Esther A:2 (which works in the comparison tool). It's when a numeric is used as above, the problem.

Did you try Bibles that have lettered chapters? eg New Jerusalem, etc?

Posts 26999
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 8:14 PM

I had first tried one of my common selections of Bible:

Then I tried all English Bibles without a problem

However, because I have the NRSV as my highest priority Bible because of its broad canon, and because it has both Esther and Greek Esther, I don't indicate verse mapping nor does it need to add a verse mapping parameter. It does slow by 2 or 3 seconds if I specify mapping.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10309
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 8:36 PM

Thank you for testing.

I decided to do it one at a time by elimination ... all the ones that have lettered chapters.

Brenton LXX English seems the bad boy, though can't tell if (a) my copy or (b) Brenton in general, or (c) versification for Brenton.

Logos is impressive as it 'slams in' verse ID qualifiers (eg Nabre Est 10), or shifts from A:1 to 11:something to greek extra Esther. I hadn't seen this before. Pretty neat.

Posts 26999
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 9:58 PM

It is really nice ... I've found only one problem which is when I make the NJB the Bible referenced as it uses letters to distinguish what other Bibles treat as verses and Logos cannot distinguish them from the letters used as a portion of a verse ... but somehow I don't think its a problem many will encounter ... and those who do will see that it is easily worked around.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 10:54 PM

Denise:
Brenton LXX English seems the bad boy, though can't tell if (a) my copy or (b) Brenton in general, or (c) versification for Brenton.

Found initial verse range using Verbum 6.11 SR-1 to peg one CPU; changing verse range allowed quick text comparison.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 22077
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 24 2016 12:17 AM

Denise:

The reason I queried Graham, is he (and you) would be more familiar with Bibles that use versification like Esther A:2 (which works in the comparison tool). It's when a numeric is used as above, the problem.

Sorry Denise, not ignoring you but I don't have access to my computer at the moment.

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 24 2016 1:53 AM

Denise:
When I used my Bibles collection, the Bible Comparison tool (L6) went into a 35% CPU loop, when looking at Esther 2:14 (or any other Esther numeric verse).

I can reproduce this problem when Brenton is included.

Posts 10309
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 24 2016 5:58 AM

Thank you, MJ, KS4J, Graham, and Mark.

MJ may be the expert in this area ... I'd think to fix, two issues ... the loop, and Brenton. Since not likely affects many, I'd much prefer the various verse-schemes be tightened up for LXX/Catholic type Bibles.

Graham ... I assumed you'd see on Monday ... I much appreciate your comments.

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 24 2016 9:15 AM

I've reported the bug in the beta forum. It's much more likely to get noticed there: Bug: Text Comparison doesn't work with Brenton LXX

Denise:
I'd much prefer the various verse-schemes be tightened up for LXX/Catholic type Bibles.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. It seems to work quite well IMO.

Posts 10309
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 24 2016 9:38 AM

Thanks on the bug report.

I defer to MJ and you ... but while I was trying to divine the problem, I was amazed at the susbstitutions it was making in the verse-text box. I'll leave it at that ... some of the changes it was making seemed pretty bizarre. Not my issue, so I'll shut up.

Posts 26999
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 24 2016 1:06 PM

Denise:
some of the changes it was making seemed pretty bizarre.

The list of verse maps is given here: https://wiki.logos.com/Verse_Mapping 

A rough guide to the maps is given here: https://wiki.logos.com/Bible_Verse_Maps

Mapping of Bibles to verse maps is given here: https://wiki.logos.com/Bible_Datatypes

Unless you specify the verse map you want used, it searches for one that works - I agree that it can sometimes seem bizarre. However, your choice of Bible priorities and gradually learning when you want to specify verse map can make it quite predictable.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS