What do you think of this?

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 410
James C. | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 3 2016 10:12 AM

Here is a video where a man discusses the "dangers" of using electronic devices to read the Bible during the public/corporate worship service.

What do those of you who use electronic devices during the worship service think?

https://youtu.be/lkC4I371OmI

Posts 30051
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2016 10:29 AM

He has a point, which is completely lost due to the low production level of his video. The continual cuts, the dramatic music in the background... too much. 

Of course, people can get distracted with a print book/bible easily too. Or candy. Or your pocket planner. Or... whatever.  

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2877
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2016 10:40 AM

The title was dishonest link bait. He wasn't talking about the danger of reading the Bible on electronic devices. He was talking about the danger of distractions during worship in the context of using electronic devices. The easily distracted will get distracted by the maps in the Bible, the bookmark their Sunday school teacher gave them, the stained glass son the wall the birdie in the tree outside the window they're sitting next to and any number of other potentially distracting things.

That said, I agree that people need to stay off Facebook and Safari and Angry Birds during worship.

Posts 948
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2016 12:17 PM

I agree much with Kevin.

I have bee digital for years now and do not find that using Logos (with links and all) is distracting, nor is any notification.  It takes the same discipline to swipe those away as it does to daily be in the Word.

I am an active listener so when I am listening to someone preach and they reference something I either write it down and look it up.  Being on an electronic device, some have wrongly thought that I (their pastor, lol) was playing a game during a service.  That has passed much now, but it was fun while it was around.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2016 12:54 PM

When I take notes on my Windows tablet during worship, I turn on a high contrast theme that blackens the screen. This prevents a bright white screen from being a distraction to those sitting around me.

Posts 9701
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2016 12:54 PM

I pretty much exclusively use my iPhone to access my Bible during services. For sure it has the potential to be distracting and like anything must be used with discipline and care. Anything that distracts us from fully participating needs to be avoided but I'm also convinced that it can be used in an appropriate way. Also, let's face it, this is not a fad that will be going away soon. Electronic devices will become more popular as time goes on. We just need to use them well.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2016 1:06 PM

I have use a digital bible for close to 15 years now. I do not play games (indeed I have my iPad muted lest homer simpson comes out with a notification from Tapped Out), check Facebook, or compose mail during a service. When I use to have a paper Bible i would cross reference things and such often during a sermon, I still do occasionally during a sermon, probably more efficiently since if I do not know the exact location I can do a very quick search. I have no real problem with the one who started searching JFK after a reference in the sermon in our easily distracted culture that search may remind him later on to investigate further. Distractions from the worship are not good, enhancement of worship through better engagement of the message is very good.

-Dan

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2016 1:34 PM

James C.:

Here is a video where a man discusses the "dangers" of using electronic devices to read the Bible during the public/corporate worship service.

What do those of you who use electronic devices during the worship service think?

https://youtu.be/lkC4I371OmI

At one time bibles were chained to the pulpit so they weren't available for the parishoners.  I wonder whether they thought it a distraction when it became possible for everyone to have a bible in their very own hands?  That said, I don't care for the use of electronic media during the service (that includes projections).  Do you really think that having such projections is preferable to having the parishoners use a printed hymnal or a prayer book?  In the Anglican tradition it is called the Book of Common Prayer.  What is common when each has a different translation before him in electronic form?   I don't think I can recall any passage which tells us that it is necessary to gather together for worship (I know of some passages which have wrongly been interpreted thus), but we do so to be united in one purpose.  Call me old-fashioned if you like, but I would rather stick with common print sources when we unite.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 34356
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2016 2:03 PM

George Somsel:
At one time bibles were chained to the pulpit so they weren't available for the parishioners

Er... ah ... old wife's tale. They were chained to the pulpit so that they could be available to parishioners and not be stolen. Did you know Dominican's don't take a vow of poverty because as itinerant preachers they carried their own books ... and the books were so valuable as to have been a violation of a vow of poverty. I, like you, am not fond of media in a service ... one should be actively engaged in the worship of God not trying to get another stack of personal notes ... but I know there are others who don't agree.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 30051
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2016 2:06 PM

George Somsel:
Do you really think that having such projections is preferable to having the parishoners use a printed hymnal or a prayer book?  In the Anglican tradition it is called the Book of Common Prayer.

The idea of "projection" is beyond the scope of the OP, but I'll play along. Smile

You have to remember that most Logos users aren't Anglican and are "broadly evangelical." In such churches, users will have multiple translations. There may or may not be "pew bibles." 

For my current church home, I do think a projection is preferable. We have a large percentage of "unchurched" or "rechurched" from a diversity of backgrounds who attend. It is good to have everyone reading the same translation. It is also good to have everyone focused on the verse(s) that are currently being read/discussed. 

Additionally, while I prefer to have a single text as the basis for the sermon, other speakers may not. When texts are flying, it is much easier to keep everyone on board with the text projected. Even when someone preaches from a single primary text, he/she may reference other texts, so the principle remains.

...back to the OP's question: Having an electronic source provides the option for the reader to utilize the translation of the speaker. In some traditions, that isn't an issue. For other churches, however, each member of the teaching team may have his/her preferred translation. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2016 2:10 PM

MJ. Smith:

George Somsel:
At one time bibles were chained to the pulpit so they weren't available for the parishioners

Er... ah ... old wife's tale. They were chained to the pulpit so that they could be available to parishioners and not be stolen. Did you know Dominican's don't take a vow of poverty because as itinerant preachers they carried their own books ... and the books were so valuable as to have been a violation of a vow of poverty. I, like you, am not fond of media in a service ... one should be actively engaged in the worship of God not trying to get another stack of personal notes ... but I know there are others who don't agree.

Not an old wife's tale.  The bibles were chained to the pulpit and THEREFORE not available to the parishioner DURING THE SERVICE.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 238
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2016 2:13 PM

I have a Pastor friend who preaches off his iPad and does everything digitally from his devices.  I guess I'm old fashioned because I like to use my print Bible and typed or written notes when I preach.  Big Smile

In Christ,

Charles

2017 27" iMac 5K, Mojave, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iOS 12.0, Catalina beta, iPadOS Beta  

Posts 34356
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2016 2:23 PM

George Somsel:
Not an old wife's tale.  The bibles were chained to the pulpit and THEREFORE not available to the parishioner DURING THE SERVICE.

Ah - a qualification I hadn't picked up on ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2016 2:34 PM

MJ. Smith:

George Somsel:

Ah - a qualification I hadn't picked up on ...

It obviously wasn't stated since I had assumed we were speaking of the context of the service.  I am opposed to "each man [reading] that which appears right in his own eyes" during the service.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2016 2:44 PM

George Somsel:
It obviously wasn't stated since I had assumed we were speaking of the context of the service.  I am opposed to "each man [reading] that which appears right in his own eyes" during the service.

Addendum:  "unless it is the original text."

george
gfsomsel

Posts 34356
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2016 2:53 PM

alabama24:
It is good to have everyone reading the same translation. It is also good to have everyone focused on the verse(s) that are currently being read/discussed. 

I think the divide is deeper than this - think the purpose of the (Sunday) service and the Biblical model employed. I think The Lamb’s Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth by Scott Hahn captures the divide extremely well and Scott's view certainly applies to more than the Catholic Mass - including George's Anglican service. FYI the Anglican The Shape of the Liturgy by Gregory Dix applies to all ACELO churches and many mainline Protestants which is why it is such a classic.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2016 2:56 PM

MJ. Smith:
all ACELO churches

Does it apply only to churches in the northeast corridor?  OOps !  That's ACELA.  I assume that means Anglican, Catholic, Evangelical, Lutheran and Orthodox.  Smile

george
gfsomsel

Posts 34356
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2016 3:10 PM

George Somsel:
I assume that means Anglican, Catholic, Evangelical, Lutheran and Orthodox.  Smile

Try Anglican, Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Lutheran, Oriental Orthodox ... I wish yours was accurate Smile Every now and then one sees a glimmer of hope ...

Posts 792
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2016 3:48 PM

Point. If you can preach effectively behind the pulpit with a paper Bible or digital w/projections then there shouldn't be an issue as long as the Gospel is being preached.

God doesn't care as long as the Word is being digested.

Posts 34356
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2016 4:02 PM

James Hiddle:
as long as the Gospel is being preached.

Assuming that is the purpose of the gathering ...

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS