Closing Active Layout

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 152
Dustin Pearson | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 8 2016 10:16 AM

In the Layout drop down is an option to close the active layout. When that is selected is it supposed to close the layout? In other words should the open windows close?

If not, why not? When I think of this option I am expecting the layout to close, and in my case go to the homepage.

Thoughts?

Posts 29934
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 8 2016 12:12 PM

Why don't you just click the homepage button?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 152
Dustin Pearson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 8 2016 12:36 PM

The idea here is to close out the active layout to start something new...

Posts 29934
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 8 2016 12:46 PM

I still don't understand. When you start something new, it will close the current layout. Am I missing something? FWIW - I don't start new layouts often, nor use the homepage. What I DO want is "projects," but I have beat that horse dead. 

Posts 152
Dustin Pearson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 8 2016 1:11 PM

Ok, I'll often start with a resource and wind up with a lot of windows open as I worked my way through. I'll want to save this as a layout for later, and want to work on something else.

So I thought "Close Active Layout" would work for this, but it seems to be horribly miss-labeled. Seems all it does is "deactivite" the layout for saving purposes and doesn't actually "close" anything....

When I think of "close active layout" I expect it to actually close it, not just deactivite it....

Posts 29934
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 8 2016 1:24 PM

Dustin Pearson:
When I think of "close active layout" I expect it to actually close it, not just deactivite it....

What do you mean "deactivate"? I don't understand how that is different than "closing" a layout. To be honest, the whole system is a mess (imo). 

Posts 27262
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 8 2016 2:44 PM

Dustin Pearson:

Ok, I'll often start with a resource and wind up with a lot of windows open as I worked my way through. I'll want to save this as a layout for later, and want to work on something else.

So I thought "Close Active Layout" would work for this, but it seems to be horribly miss-labeled. Seems all it does is "deactivite" the layout for saving purposes and doesn't actually "close" anything....

After the "Close" you can modify the un-named layout and save this "Now" layout (in Layouts menu) as a new "Named" layout. However, you don't have to close it in order to rename it! So I've never used "Close Active"...

See https://community.logos.com/forums/p/96922/668197.aspx#668197 for the official explanation.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 10853
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 9 2016 3:03 AM
It seems that you are looking for the "Close All" command. Close Active Layout—as you have discovered—simply deactivates (that is, closes) the active layout. To close all open windows, type "Close All" in the command box (without the quotes). On the Mac, Cmd-Opt-W Accomplishes the same thing. Don't know the Windows equivalent.
Posts 932
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 9 2016 11:17 AM

Type "Close All" into the command box, then drag it onto the bar next to it. That will create a  shortcut which will leave you with a blank screen. 

Posts 25355
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 9 2016 11:25 AM

Jack Caviness:
On the Mac, Cmd-Opt-W Accomplishes the same thing. Don't know the Windows equivalent.

Ctrl-Shift-W on Windows.

Posts 10853
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 9 2016 4:30 PM

Graham Criddle:
Ctrl-Shift-W on Windows.

Thank you for the information Graham.

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2016 5:44 AM

Dustin Pearson:

What I have is a layout called "Blank Layout" which is an extremely minimalist layout. When I want to start something brand new, I'll switch to that layout and fairly quickly save it to a new name.

Donnie

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS