SUGGESTION: Reclaiming the Bible for the Church

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 25827
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 20 2016 8:04 PM

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9758
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 20 2016 9:46 PM

I usually prefer that Logos book suggestors supply the Really-Long-River.com address, so I can conveniently buy it. But my long-river quest was interesting.

First, I'd think this book would be a winner in the Logosian world.  Indeed I'm surprised it's not in Logos; it really speaks to some key issues that lay between church guidance and Logos' raison-de-existance.

Second, reviewers (some) see it as contra-Spong. That led me to ....

Third, the dastardly Spong's book this year is rudely suggesting my literalist denomination is a gentile heresy. Goodness.  But interesting points, so, ok.

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2016 12:52 AM

Denise:

I usually prefer that Logos book suggestors supply the Really-Long-River.com address, so I can conveniently buy it. But my long-river quest was interesting.

First, I'd think this book would be a winner in the Logosian world.  Indeed I'm surprised it's not in Logos; it really speaks to some key issues that lay between church guidance and Logos' raison-de-existance.

Second, reviewers (some) see it as contra-Spong. That led me to ....

Third, the dastardly Spong's book this year is rudely suggesting my literalist denomination is a gentile heresy. Goodness.  But interesting points, so, ok.

Here's your "Really-Long-River" link:  http://www.amazon.com/Reclaiming-Bible-Church-Carl-Braaten/dp/0802808980/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1463816557&sr=1-1&keywords=reclaiming+the+bible+for+the+church 

I agree that Spong is a … well, I won't go there.  The only work of his that I've read is Why Christianity Must Change or Die.  I would say that if the church and its faith were to change as he appears to suggest then it's already dead.  While many on the fora would disagree with me especially on the doctrine of inspiration, I would maintain that the NT sets forth the faith of the early Church so that if one differs appreciably from the faith in Jesus Christ as set forth there then it has lost its connection with what it means to be christian and does not deserve to be called such.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2676
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2016 1:14 AM

George Somsel:
 I would say that if the church and its faith were to change as he appears to suggest then it's already dead.  While many on the fora would disagree with me especially on the doctrine of inspiration, I would maintain that the NT sets forth the faith of the early Church so that if one differs appreciably from the faith in Jesus Christ as set forth there then it has lost its connection with what it means to be christian and does not deserve to be called such.

Is this really coming from George's pen? From time to time you do surprise me in a positive sense with what you write; having said that I do note we differ on the doctrine on inspiration. 

I do not want to hijack M.J's thread so I better stop nowZip it!.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2016 1:18 AM

Ted Hans:
Is this really coming from George's pen?

No, it came from my computer — no pen involved.  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2676
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2016 1:26 AM

George Somsel:
No, it came from my computer — no pen involved.  Big Smile

Stick out tongueSmile

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS