AYBD Compared With IVPD

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 977
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 26 2016 8:25 AM

I currently have the Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary and am wondering what advantages and/or differences there would be in comparing it with the IVP Dictionary Series that is on-sale this month.  I would welcome the thoughts of those that may have both resource sets.

Thanks.

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 26 2016 8:40 AM

I tend to put my concise dictionaries first and move down the list to the more in depth dictionaries. I have the IVP dictionaries between my concise dictionaries and the AYBD when I prioritize them. I can't really compare them because I find them both useful. The IVP stuff is in the Mobile Ed courses more than the AYBD at least in the courses I have completed or are doing.

Posts 10762
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 26 2016 9:26 AM

You'll likely end up with both, so take advantage of sales.

But having read your posts, I'd suspect AYBD is a better fit. Tends to take a broader swath of info for the reader's consideration. A little older.

The IVP series has good depth, but sands off the edges for its targeted readership. I use both.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 3689
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 26 2016 11:15 AM

Sorry had to modify that URL if you get email notifications... typed it in wrong so check back for correct URL

Posts 3689
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 26 2016 11:16 AM

Search the logos blogs from 2008 for an AYBD promo code.  I used it two weeks ago for a good chunk off if you go that way.  Personally I prefer the IVP, ISBE, and Baker Encyclopedia

Posts 977
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 26 2016 12:51 PM

Thanks for linking to the other thread.  Missed it completely.

Posts 7053
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 26 2016 2:30 PM

Mattillo:

Search the logos blogs from 2008 for an AYBD promo code.  I used it two weeks ago for a good chunk off if you go that way.  Personally I prefer the IVP, ISBE, and Baker Encyclopedia

They are better for ministry. AYBD is more for academic use, that's why I sold my copy. I might buy it back someday if I have money to spare.

DAL

Posts 3689
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 26 2016 2:42 PM

DAL:

Mattillo:

They are better for ministry. AYBD is more for academic use, that's why I sold my copy. I might buy it back someday if I have money to spare.

DAL

I completely agree with you DAL. I grabbed the ABD due to its extensive use in Faithlife products like the FSB but I usually prefer Baker and ISBE. I like the ivp but navigating it is a pain with 8 different books and no index 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS