English Bible Collection (27 vols.) - THIS REALLY NEEDS A PUSH!!!!!

Page 2 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 82 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 9274
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 3:06 PM

This one's a head scratcher for me. I thought it would quickly go into production. That was over 3 years ago.

I guess a few of us want it a lot and a lot of us don't want it at all.

For about $1 a Bible it seems more than reasonable. (I'm sure they are better than those Amish romances on Vyrso for the same price.)

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2478
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 3:11 PM

I bid $50 in 2014. I'm praying this forward. I realize that it's not for everybody, but being able to see how something was translated does provide insight to their interpretation in a given era. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 536
Fasil | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 5:01 PM

Mark Smith:

. (I'm sure they are better than those Amish romances on Vyrso for the same price.)

Big Smile

Posts 7498
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 5:11 PM

I wonder why Moffat's NT is not included. I already own it since Moffat's NT Commentaries use that text, but it'd be nice to have it as an actual NT copy.

DAL

Posts 29606
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 5:21 PM

DAL:
I wonder why Moffat's NT is not included.

Most likely because the final version is still under copyright if I read my sources correctly.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 560
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 5:27 PM

DAL:
I wonder why Moffat's NT is not included. I already own it since Moffat's NT Commentaries use that text, but it'd be nice to have it as an actual NT copy.

Agreed Yes

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 7498
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 5:48 PM

MJ. Smith:

DAL:
I wonder why Moffat's NT is not included.

Most likely because the final version is still under copyright if I read my sources correctly.

I'm sure Logos could do something about that, since e-sword has it. But oh well, no rush :)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 7:33 PM

I am mainly interested in the following Bibles:

I'd gladly give $50 to get these.  I wish the bidding grid would allow bids that high.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 29606
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 7:43 PM

DAL:
I'm sure Logos could do something about that,

Correct. But items under copyright normally go into pre-pub not community pricing. Did I misunderstand your question?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 7498
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 7:54 PM

MJ. Smith:

DAL:
I'm sure Logos could do something about that,

Correct. But items under copyright normally go into pre-pub not community pricing. Did I misunderstand your question?

Yes you did, but I didn't explain myself. I was wondering why it wasn't available in general, not just CP.  I wouldn't mind if it had to make it through prepub, but it may be one of those items that might never grace the Logos platform. At least I have the commentaries and the e-sword module (I think, the disk may have gotten lost when I moved a while ago).

DAL

Posts 2611
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 12:31 PM

I just received an update:

Order update: English Bible Collection (27 vols.)

You are receiving this email because you bid on the English Bible Collection (27 vols.).

The following volumes are being removed from this collection:

• The Bishop’s Bible
  • Matthew Bible
  • The New Testament in Greek and English

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 1585
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 12:56 PM

Not having the Bishop's Bible or the Matthew Bible included in an English Bible collection is a bit odd. I got the email as well. I was hoping for an explanation.  

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 257
Gary Osborne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 12:57 PM

As was I.  This is highly disappointing.  Getting that email was easily the lowlight of my day.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 1:05 PM

Jan Krohn:

The following volumes are being removed from this collection:

• The Bishop’s Bible
  • Matthew Bible
  • The New Testament in Greek and English

I wonder if they are trying to reduce the time and effort to get it done so they can get it out sooner.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 919
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 1:07 PM

Todd Phillips:
I wonder if they are trying to reduce the time and effort to get it done so they can get it out sooner.

Correct. The cost of production for the Bishop's and Matthew Bibles was stalling progress on this project. We're going to offer them as standalone products so that we can ship this collection sooner.

Director, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 1083
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 1:09 PM

Todd Phillips:

That would make sense, but if so, the Bishop's Bible and the Matthew Bible wouldn't be ones that you'd expect them to cut - there are a number of much more obscure versions in the collection.

EDIT: I see that Ben replied, and I was mistaken - it sounds like those specific Bibles were in fact holding up the process for some reason.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 1:14 PM

EastTN:
EDIT: I see that Ben replied, and I was mistaken - it sounds like those specific Bibles were in fact holding up the process for some reason.

It's probably something to do with the quality of the source materials, archaic wordings or typefaces, non-standard verse mappings, etc.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2933
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 1:23 PM

Very disappointing from a customer perspective.  Now this will cost about three times what it was. Plus, not having the Bishop's Bible represents a major disruption in the timeline of development of the bible in English.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 5301
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 1:23 PM

Todd Phillips:

EastTN:

It's probably something to do with the quality of the source materials, archaic wordings or typefaces, non-standard verse mappings, etc.

“God is my sheephearde, therfore I can lacke nothyng: he wyll cause me to repose my selfe in pasture full of grasse, and he wyll leade me vnto calme waters. He wyll conuert my soule: he wyll bring me foorth into the pathes of righteousnesse for his name sake. Yea though I walke through the valley of the shadowe of death, I wyll feare no euyll: for thou art with me, thy rodde and thy staffe be the thynges that do comfort me. Thou wylt prepare a table before me in the presence of myne aduersaries: thou hast annoynted my head with oyle, and my cup shalbe brymme full. Truely felicitie and mercie shal folowe me all the dayes of my lyfe: and I wyll dwell in the house of God for a long tyme.”

(Psalms 23:1–6 The Bishop’s Bible)

So it is a odd for those of us use to modern english. I fortunately have this version in Accordance for curiosity sake. Now the Accordance version has no translation notes which may be a good reason to have it in Logos, but I am not aware of how extensive it's footnotes are.

-Dan

Posts 4809
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 1:37 PM

Ben Amundgaard:

Todd Phillips:

Correct. The cost of production for the Bishop's and Matthew Bibles was stalling progress on this project. We're going to offer them as standalone products so that we can ship this collection sooner.

Ben - was it the triacle that gummed up the works?

Page 2 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS