Read aloud other than Bible

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 948
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 24 2016 7:54 PM

Anyone got a link or work around for reading books aloud in Logos? I'd like to listen while I'm driving.

Posts 3075
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 24 2016 8:25 PM

James White rides hundreds of miles a day on his bike, and he has spoken numerous times about how he does it. He uses a particular bit of software to put files of all types on his iPod where they are then read to him as he rides.

A search of his website might turn up his tricks...it has been a while since I heard him talk about it and I've forgotten most of the details.

His website is aomin.org

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 24 2016 8:30 PM

Everett Headley:

A work around for reading books aloud in Logos

If you use an iPhone you can have it read what is on the screen to you. this doesn't work within the logos app so what you have to do is select the text and send it to yourself in an email and then your phone can read it to you. I have done this for several books

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 636
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2016 2:04 AM

If you have an iPhone you can use the Speak Screen feature (it will turn the pages for you.)

Go to settings - accessibility - speech - speak screen to turn it on.

Then open your book in Logos and swipe down with two fingers.

It will use your siri voice to read the book (I find the male siri voice more natural sounding than the female one).

It's not perfect and it does take some getting used to, but it's workable and I've listened to several books this way.

Ryan

Posts 5858
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2016 3:44 AM

Ryan:

If you have an iPhone you can use the Speak Screen feature (it will turn the pages for you.)

It will use your siri voice to read the book (I find the male siri voice more natural sounding than the female one).

It's not perfect and it does take some getting used to, but it's workable and I've listened to several books this way.

Ryan

This is a great feature on the iPhone, use it often, simple to setup, simple to use.

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2016 7:11 AM

Ryan:
open your book in Logos and swipe down with two fingers.

Yes I forgot it does work right in app. thanks for the reminder. I think it was on Android that this feature doesn't work with emailing sections of it to yourself

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2016 4:18 PM

Voice Dream is the best app I have found on iPad for reading documents. You can export a file from Logos on your computer to PDF, send it to your phone, and then open it in Voice Dream and it will read it to you.

I would love for something of the quality of VoiceDream to exist in Logos

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 3075
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2016 6:24 AM

Here's a link to James White's methods-

http://www.aomin.org/aoblog/index.php/2013/09/27/faq1/

Also found this blog post today-

http://www.pastorsweek.com/make-iphone-read-kindle-books/

HTH.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 948
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2016 9:16 AM

So I am on Android...any options for me?

Posts 29792
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2016 10:01 AM

Everett Headley:

Check in the Android forum. You will be more likely to find the right people to help there. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 778
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2016 1:44 PM

Ryan:

Ryan

I had used this technique on my iPad, but it was touch and go on my iPhone.  The iPad page turning is done by swiping from the right or left is page by page, so a two-finger swipe is not ambiguous.  But on the iPhone, the resources scroll continuously up and down.  Thus, the two-finger swipe usually resulted in the document rolling to a different location.  I have been able to get the reading feature to work, but I have to start with my fingers on the upper border of the screen.

David

Posts 778
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2016 1:46 PM

Everett Headley:

Everett,

I have looked on the Android forums and not found anything helpful.  I know my son was interested.  So if you find anything, please post it back here.

Thanks,

David

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS