"Copy Location As" option (Resource Panel menu)

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1688
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 28 2016 9:21 PM

Which format should I use: URL, or L4?

I'm using Copy Location As (from the Resource Panel menu) to copy the spot in a book and paste it into either a Notes file in Logos or a document in MS Word. I need these links to work when off-line. 

I understand this was changed in version 6.11.When I pause over URL on the Resource Menu, a pop-up tells me it "requires an internet connection to work." So should I avoid this option?

Back in March when this was in beta testing, Bradley Grainger said:

BTW, we do intend for Logos 6 to completely handle any ref.ly URL internally, without going out to the Internet. (That is, the software should rewrite the link to go directly to the destination inside the software, without launching a browser.) If you find a place where that doesn't happen, please let us know.

A quick test confirms that this seems to work (just pulling the Ethernet plug without rebooting in off-line mode). Can I trust this for the future? Or should I revert to the old L4 format (which seems to be the same as what I've been using for years)?

I'm using Logos 6.12 SR-2 (6.12.0.0038) on Windows 10.

TIA.

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2016 2:01 AM

Allen Browne:
A quick test confirms that this seems to work (just pulling the Ethernet plug without rebooting in off-line mode). Can I trust this for the future? Or should I revert to the old L4 format (which seems to be the same as what I've been using for years)?

For use within Logos itself, there's no reason why both shouldn't work in the same way for the foreseeable future. If they stop supporting existing links that used either method, or if ref.ly links started to switch to a browser, there would be an uproar from established users.

From a technical perspective, it's very easy to handle a ref.ly link without requiring a browser, so I can't see how this would break in the future in a way that couldn't easily be fixed.

Posts 1688
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2016 4:39 AM

Mark Barnes:
For use within Logos itself, there's no reason why both shouldn't work in the same way for the foreseeable future.

Thank you, Mark.

I'll continue to use URL.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS