Best approach to start library

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 4
Jeffrey Williams | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 6 2016 1:26 PM

So I know there are the base packages.  And the crossgrades (witch have some datasets of some sort).  I like the software over all better than other bible software (using the free core).  

I can't am not really wanting (nor can I afford) jumping into a base package right now. Based on a lot of reviews I have read the base packages tend to include a lot of material that just won't get used much. I am just looking to be able to get deeper study than what things like your vision and bible gateway offer.

I am thinking to just pick up a couple of the most useful resource individually for now (not sure if student discounts apply to individual resources). Just wondering how people would suggest building up a library.  Of course I am thinking a couple bible versions, a couple commentaries, some of the better rated free resources (not sure how to decide what would be useful). What do you guys find to be the most usefull for just doing basic bible study?

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 6 2016 1:49 PM

Your budget?

2 resources. Word commentary and Anchor Bible Dictionary. You're done. Plus your fav Bible of course.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1593
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 6 2016 3:04 PM

Hi Jeffrey. I've been a Logos user since at least 2003. I still don't own a package, for a variety of reasons. But I own lots and lots of books, mostly acquired on sales, prepubs, etc. I think I started with the Anchor Bible Dictionary and the free KJV. Pick up your preferred translation, maybe a study bible (I like the Jewish Study Bible, though it's Old Testament only, obviously), and some dictionaries. The IVP dictionaries are excellent, and you can purchase them together. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 372
Stephen Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 6 2016 4:44 PM

Jeffrey,

Get all the freebies. Some are fluff but there are some goodies among them ....

The Lexham Intro Collection = Connect the Testaments: A One-Year Daily Devotional with Bible Reading Plan

Faithlife Study Bible

Lexham Bible Dictionary

Lexham English Bible (LEB) with Audio New Testament

The Greek New Testament: SBL Edition

Also .. Codex Sinaiticus by International Greek New Testament Project (IGNTP)

Crucial Questions Series (20 vols)

Codex Bezae Cantabrigiens

The Abridged Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew-English Lexicon of the Old Testament

Then there is a freebie each month. Some better than others. Get the emails to let you know what's available.

Check out ... https://wiki.logos.com/free_logos_books

The Google Logos App comes with 70 resources, all free.

Enjoy

Stephen Miller

Sydney, Australia

Posts 259
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 6 2016 5:25 PM

Crucial Questions Series (20 vols.)

by Sproul, R. C.

https://www.logos.com/product/45437/crucial-questions-series

...is free.

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 6 2016 7:58 PM

Jeffrey Williams:

So I know there are the base packages.  And the crossgrades (witch have some datasets of some sort).  I like the software over all better than other bible software (using the free core).  

I haven't used other stuff in so long, I wonder what it is you like about Logos compared to others (not looking for you to slam/expose others, just curious) For me, I got hooked by their library.  They simply had better resources.  I had a smattering of inconsequential resources, but really got rolling with "Series X" base package, circa 2002.  I got a good deal on it at a book store.  I think they made a mistake in the pricing. Surprise

Jeffrey Williams:
I am thinking to just pick up a couple of the most useful resource individually for now

All that depends on what your purpose is: are you doing lay counseling?  Then invest in a couple books or a set that deals directly with it.  Are you wanting to teach from a Bible book?  Then utilize their videos to understand how to use their wonderful digital search and study tools, maybe get a good book or two on good Bible study and perhaps invest in a couple commentaries that deal with that particular book.  etc.  

Jeffrey Williams:
I can't am not really wanting (nor can I afford) jumping into a base package right now.
 Been there. But don't count that out.  Even though you made this comment:

Jeffrey Williams:
base packages tend to include a lot of material that just won't get used much.

. . . base packages can still be a good buy.  True, there are a LOT of things I hardly use (either because it is not my current study focus, or I find it quite useless.  That said, I often tally up the sources in particular base packages that I definitely want and check out their price "if bought seperately."  If that total comes up more than the base package, I will likely buy the base package.  Check each one out--some offer different core resources--perhaps a good dictionary set or commentaries, ones that other base packages don't have.  For instance, the newer edition of ISBE (International Standard Bible Encyclopedia) is found in the Reformed and Methodist Gold base packages.  You might find other resources in those you really like that will end up making that purchase a good deal for you (still a chunk of change, for sure, but you get the idea.  The earlier base packages might have different offerings).  Just saying, don't count that out.  

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 283
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 6 2016 9:06 PM

Jeffrey,  I agree the first issue is how you plan to use Logos. For instance, some people only use Logos for daily devotionals and preparation for teaching a small group Bible study/Sunday school lesson each week. Others (like me) use Logos for many hours each week for indepth study and sermon preparation. How you will use Logos also affects my recommendations for commentaries, how to spend your money, etc.

For a person who perhaps only has $100 to spend in Logos.  I would probably advise them to download the free resources mentioned - particularly all of the Lexham resources and Sproul's crucial questions. This would give you a good Bible dictionary and a basic study Bible for free. Then I would buy three study Bible - the ESV Study Bible, MacArthur Study Bible, and the Zondervan NIV Study Bible. This would ineffect give you three good, solid commentaries on every book of the Bible - as well as some very helpful articles and references. To be very honest, you can do a great deal of study and learning with just these resources.

Finally, I would urge you to make sure that you do not buy resources individually that are included in the base packages.  If you aren't careful, you could pay $500 for a resource set that is included in a base package upgrade for the same money - along with scores of other resources.

Posts 1360
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 6 2016 9:46 PM

Jeffrey Williams:
I am thinking to just pick up a couple of the most useful resource individually for now (not sure if student discounts apply to individual resources). Just wondering how people would suggest building up a library.  Of course I am thinking a couple bible versions, a couple commentaries, some of the better rated free resources (not sure how to decide what would be useful). What do you guys find to be the most usefull for just doing basic bible study?

A lot depends on what you plan to do with your Logos resources. I use mine every week, primarily in preparing to teach a Sunday School class.

I started with a small base package and got hooked on what a Logos library could do, even though I already had hundreds of print resources.

Then I upgraded to the largest base pkg at the time (Gold), then to Platinum when it came out. I have added many resources over the years, by making a wish list and watching for recommendations and sales.

You never know when those resources that you didn't think you would use become handy at the right moment. I now have over 4700 volumes.

There are many key reference works that are never included in a base pkg. I would suggest making a list of the resources that you would like to have and reviewing how that compares to some of the base pkgs.

I love dictionaries. The IVP 8 vol. set is excellent, unduplicated by any other. You should also have either the Anchor Bible Dict. and/or ISBE.

There are many good commentary sets, depending upon the depth and theological position you want to follow. Each of the base pkgs have commentaries in them.

I would recommend getting at least 6 different Bible versions so you can use the comparison features. NASB/ESV/NIV/NET/NLT/Message plus your other favorites. 

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2016 1:44 AM

Concerning the freebies suggestion above, know the regular sources and keep tabs on them: free book of the month (logos and verbum), vyrso. Watch for posts on the forums bringing attention to freebies from time to time. 

Concerning packages, crossgrades vs. resources: the features are really great and useful IF you can realistically portray yourself doing the kind of studies that puts them to use. One of the great aspects of Logos, however, is that you can take your time to build up your library and manage your investment. Even if you don't take a package now, you can always do so later. Logos, as compared to some other Bible softwares that offer less upgrade, development options (or for which it is less affordable to do so) is something you build over time. Take a look at https://www.logos.com/features in order to learn about the features and datasets offered in packages and crossgrades and determine if and when you might need some of those.

No matter what you do, there are basics that are always of use: Bibles (at least what you use most), Bible dictionaries (basic all the way to academic), other reference tools you could find useful like topical Bibles (Nave's), cross-reference resources (NTSK), and some good commentaries corresponding to your readership level and discipleship or ministry needs. If you do original languages, it is very useful to have also a Greek NT (SBLGNT is free) and Hebrew-Aramaic OT plus at least one reliable lexicon for each language. 

It can be useful also to use the wishlist feature to flag those resources that you want but are too expensive right now. Every month, there is a month-long sale that goes on with good discounts and regular special sales: keep an eye on those and strike when the time is right (what you want is on sale and you have the money). These are usually advertised on the front page of logos.com and in the blog links on the right of forum pages. 

Posts 460
John Connell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2016 4:36 AM

If you are on FaceBook, there is a group called "Logos Resales" you might want to join.  Read through some of the old posts to see what is for sale on the "used Logos" market.

And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers (Mal 4:6a)

Posts 259
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2016 5:57 AM

https://www.logos.com/product/18480/1-and-2-thessalonians-triumphs-and-trials-of-a-consecrated-church

I picked this book at random.  On its page, look to the right near the top.  See ''Recommendations'' + the words:  ''This title is included as part of the following collections.'' 

Posts 3358
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2016 6:51 AM

Here is a good Example

I like to have this Book cost me 30$ on the right I see that a Collection is 70$ also with Books I like...so, instead of buying one Book I buy the Collection...OR

I could check also the Lutheran Base for just 60$ more...I get the whole Lutheran Commentary Series and many more Books (well I need to check if I realy want them all)

Posts 76
Average Joe | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2016 7:14 AM

It doesn't look like anyone has mentioned it yet, so I will mention it. Have you considered a Logos Now subscription? If you aren't looking to invest a lot of money, you can gain access to a large library through Logos Now. The drawback is that you don't own the resources (so once you stop subscribing, you lose access to those resources). But it is a low monthly cost rather that an up front larger cost with some of the base packages.

Even if you don't want to use Logos Now long term, you could use it for a month or two just to get the sense of what resources you use and would want to purchase.

Posts 25766
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2016 7:21 AM

Average Joe:

It doesn't look like anyone has mentioned it yet, so I will mention it. Have you considered a Logos Now subscription? If you aren't looking to invest a lot of money, you can gain access to a large library through Logos Now. The drawback is that you don't own the resources (so once you stop subscribing, you lose access to those resources). But it is a low monthly cost rather that an up front larger cost with some of the base packages.

This is actually Logos Cloud - https://logoscloud.com/  - as opposed to Logos Now which is designed to add functionality to an existing base package 

Posts 4
Jeffrey Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2016 11:38 AM

Fredrich, to answer your question on why I like Logos, it is really just the user experience, I found it easy to hit the ground running in the app.  It's just more polished.  That may be a stupid reason but for me it was important.

Ian putting a list of the resources I think i might buy separately and comparing that to the base package.  One of the things I wonder about is if the things that are only available in base packages are worth the investment.

Posts 4
Jeffrey Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2016 11:40 AM

I did already pick up the Hexham intro collection.  It is a great set of free resources.  I will look at the other you recommended thanks.

Posts 948
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2016 11:48 AM

If you told us budget, theological leaning, and future plans for Logos, we could probably tailor our recommendations for you.

I would tell you that the standard base packages have lots of fluff (or used to), but the denominational specific ones are much better.  For me the Reformed packages had minimal fluff.

As you can see above, recommendations range the gamut.  I personally would not by Word or ABD, just me and because of their price. I would tell you to get all the freebies and check them out.  Sproul has lots of great stuff that is free.

Posts 4
Jeffrey Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2016 11:50 AM

Thanks Greg. It is really more for me to delve a little deeper into the bible as I read it.  More for personal growth and reflection.  I already had picked up the Lexham resources, and just got Sproul's as it has been mentioned a few times here.  I also have the MacArthur study bible since my purchase of the Thomas Nelson eBible software has carried over. Although the library seems smaller than I remember (not as many bible translations as I remembered).

Thanks for the recommendation $100 is about were i set my limit. I do get a student discount on the base packages so much more $$ than that and the $200 starter packs I think starts making more sense.  Thanks for the recomendations.

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2016 1:18 PM

Jeffrey Williams:

I can't am not really wanting (nor can I afford) jumping into a base package right now. Based on a lot of reviews I have read the base packages tend to include a lot of material that just won't get used much. I am just looking to be able to get deeper study than what things like your vision and bible gateway offer.

The base packages have a lot of resources you might never use, but they are still your best deal. Save up to buy Gold if you can, but Platinum is where you want to be. Only after you get a base package should you start thinking about buying individual resources.

Posts 259
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2016 1:27 PM

In case someone else has not mentioned it, there is a 30 day money-back guarantee on purchased resources.  One phones customer service.

As well...https://www.logos.com/product/4466/tom-constables-expository-bible-study-notes

Here is 7,000 pages, dispensational, written in an easy-flow style U may wish to consider.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS