Horribly Slow Download of Update

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1397
Sean | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 12 2016 8:50 PM

I've got an update of 252 MB pending (the latest release of L6 + book updates). It's taking forever to download on my computer. The first time I tried, it got to 1% in about an hour. There were some pending Windows (10) updates so I rebooted and tried again. Half an hour later, it's not advanced past 3%.

My internet connection is pretty fast, about 30 Mbps. Yesterday I updated my tablet with no problems in just a few minutes. Is there something going on with the logos.com end? status.faithlife.com isn't showing any problem but it often doesn't even when there is.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Posts 28018
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 12 2016 9:23 PM

The Windows updates shouldn't impact Logos downloads, but have they (Windows) completed? It would also help to post some logs whilst this is happening.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1397
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 12 2016 9:37 PM

Here are the logs:0184.LogosError.log

7115.Logos.log

isitup.org also shows services.logos.com down, if that means anything.

Windows updates completed. I also downloaded an update for another program, about 44MB, in under 15 seconds.

Logos seems to have so many strange problems that just don't happen with other programs.

Posts 28018
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 13 2016 4:39 AM

There was a failed attempt to download an update to Logos v6.13. You could attempt this from this link, and then see what happens with other downloads.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1397
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 13 2016 4:56 AM

Dave Hooton:

There was a failed attempt to download an update to Logos v6.13. You could attempt this from this link, and then see what happens with other downloads.

Thanks, Dave. I may have to try that, except that little 537KB file took over a minute to download. I have a 125 Mbps connection (before the router & distance slow it down.) I'm not having any problems with it on other programs or devices. Something has to be wrong at logos.com. ETA: Or between here and there. I'm in Asia, FWIW.

Letting the downloader run almost all day I got less than 30MB downloaded. Again, is anyone else experiencing the same? I'd really like to know before I start experimenting.

FURTHER EDIT: I just downloaded the setup file on another system with a direct line of sight with the router. It still took a minute. That shouldn't be.

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 13 2016 12:43 PM

I experienced a slowdown too.

Posts 9205
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 13 2016 11:07 PM

Sean:
Something has to be wrong at logos.com. ETA: Or between here and there. I'm in Asia, FWIW.

FWIW all downloads (of program updates and resources) are served by a Content Delivery Network operated by Fastly. They provide a network map of their physical datacentre locations here: https://www.fastly.com/network-map 

There aren't as many POPs in Asia as, say, Europe, but hopefully there's one close enough to deliver good throughput.

Posts 1397
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 14 2016 12:20 AM

Thanks, Bradley. Looks like they were doing some maintenance around the time I was trying to update. Good to know for going forward.

ETA: Just completed dowloading the remaining 229MB in 2 minutes, so it looks like the problem is resolved.

Posts 1753
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2016 8:52 AM

My download in Finland was around 80...100 Mbit/s

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 11

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS