Logos pricing??

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 0
William Emberley | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 3 2016 4:14 PM

I do not understand Logos pricing at all. It is suggested that F.F. Bruce's "Apostle of the Heart Set Free" is normally $77.00 Canadian. I could not find a single location that sells it for anywhere near that as a non-discounted price? It appears the price has been inflated while offering a significant discount. Where am I going wrong with this?

Posts 3300
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 3 2016 4:38 PM

I think all their comparative pricing is inflated- I can by almost all the resources they show for better than 50% of what they say.

Thats why I have become a paper man again. Even have bought some Brill titles for 75% off what they show for their product.

Posts 1028
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 3 2016 4:41 PM

Some pricing is not as bad. It really depends in my opinion 

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/therealkpang

Posts 32094
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 3 2016 5:15 PM

I suspect that, like my library management program, they let a computer look up the base price in theory set by the publisher ... but if the particular edition is out of print, it results in bizarre used book prices.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2878
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 3 2016 5:28 PM

William Emberley:

I do not understand Logos pricing at all. It is suggested that F.F. Bruce's "Apostle of the Heart Set Free" is normally $77.00 Canadian. I could not find a single location that sells it for anywhere near that as a non-discounted price? It appears the price has been inflated while offering a significant discount. Where am I going wrong with this?

Of course, that is an absurd price.  It sales new today on Amazon for less than $21.  Probably a computer error in an automatic lookup as has been suggested.

Though sometimes Logos has been known to  list a Logos resource "regular price" higher than what they actually charge for it, and they are the only people on earth who sell that Logos resource.  How can the regular price be higher than the price of the only seller?  And they base sale "discounts" on that higher "regular price".  Actually, I hope they stopped doing that, but I have not checked to see.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 32094
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 3 2016 6:20 PM

In Washington State where Logos is headquartered, I believe it is illegal to show as "regular price" a price that they have never sold it at.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 29345
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 3 2016 6:51 PM

Does anyone have a link to this book in Logos? I can't find it! 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 3 2016 7:01 PM

William Emberley:
I do not understand Logos pricing at all. It is suggested that F.F. Bruce's "Apostle of the Heart Set Free" is normally $77.00 Canadian.

Could you provide a link to this? I don't believe that Logos carries that resource any longer. I believe that has been replaced by Paul, Author of the Free Spirit https://www.logos.com/product/3112/paul-apostle-of-the-free-spirit However, the product description does not mention this.

From that impeccable source (Stick out tongue) Wikipedia

Bruce was a scholar on the life and ministry of Paul the Apostle and wrote several studies, the best known of which is Paul: Apostle of the Free Spirit (published in the United States as Paul: Apostle of the Heart Set Free).

Posts 29345
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 3 2016 7:11 PM

That isn't the same book. 

Posts 0
William Emberley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 4 2016 5:53 AM

alabama24, you are correct. Thanks for pointing that out. I am not sure that fact changes the point made though. The two works are comparable in price.

I guess it is a bit of useless point to make. I don't think it will change things. Love Logos! I find things a bit frustrating at times.

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 4 2016 6:14 AM

alabama24:

That isn't the same book. 

It is the same book. It was retitled.

The retail price is listed as $58.99 on Logos. It's a British book, that currently retails at £29.99 which is $39. However, it was included in Logos 4, which launched in 2009, shortly after a crash in dollar prices. I don't know when it was added to the Logos catalog, but if that was in August 2008 or earlier, before the crash, then the US equivalent of a £29.99 RRP would equate to around $59.

Posts 29345
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 4 2016 10:01 AM

Mark Barnes:
It is the same book. It was retitled.

Do you mean the original name was "Paul: Apostle of the Free Spirit" and was changed to "Paul Apostle of the Heart Set Free"? Is the later the "American" title? The product page is also confusing because it lists both 1977 AND  2005. 

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 4 2016 11:55 AM
alabama24:
Do you mean the original name was "Paul: Apostle of the Free Spirit" and was changed to "Paul Apostle of the Heart Set Free"?
Yes
alabama24:
The product page is also confusing because it lists both 1977 AND  2005.
Believe 1977 was the original release and 2005 is the revision date
Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS