Personal Books - "you don't have a license to view this resource"

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
Adrian Holdsworth | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 9 2016 12:06 AM

I have a number of personal books in my library, compiled from lecture notes that I wrote for my students. Most were compiled between 2012 and 2015 on a PC.  Today I tried to open them on a macbook and found that I "do not have a license to view this resource."

What's the solution to recovering these resources?

Thanks.

Posts 11936
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2016 12:22 AM

Adrian R Holdsworth:

I have a number of personal books in my library, compiled from lecture notes that I wrote for my students. Most were compiled between 2012 and 2015 on a PC.  Today I tried to open them on a macbook and found that I "do not have a license to view this resource."

What's the solution to recovering these resources?

Thanks.

Hi Adrian, welcome to the forums!

Regarding your books: you need to go to the PC and in the Personal Book tool hit the upload button for those books you want to access on the Mac. Then they will sync to the cloud and automatically download to the Mac machine. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 29609
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2016 6:32 AM

Adrian R Holdsworth:
I tried to open them on a macbook and found that I "do not have a license to view this resource."

To add just a little to what Mick wrote: Personal books automatically sync the metadata (title, author, etc.) between installations, but the actual compiled book is not synced. If you want to access the book on multiple computers (but not mobile, as personal books aren't currently available on mobile), you need to either upload the book (as Mick suggested) or compile the book on the other installations. The former is probably best.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2016 9:47 AM

Adrian R Holdsworth:
I tried to open them on a macbook and found that I "do not have a license to view this resource."

Welcome Big Smile

alabama24:
If you want to access the book on multiple computers (but not mobile, as personal books aren't currently available on mobile), you need to either upload the book (as Mick suggested) or compile the book on the other installations.

Third option is manually copying *.LBSPBB resource files from one installation followed by using SCAN command in another installation to copy and index them, which is useful for any personal book(s) that are too large for upload.

FYI: compiling personal book updates metadata that syncs so different installation can have mismatch between compiled personal book resource file and metadata last update.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3
Alvin Litonjua | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 2:34 AM

Hi! I purchased 3 resources from Logos and  it's saying "I don't have a license to view the resource" it's just showing a preview. Thoughts?

Posts 32973
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 2:50 AM

Welcome to the forums:

1. It is better to start your own thread with a problem especially when your problem is unrelated to personal books or Logos 6.

2. How long did you wait for the licenses to sync and the resources to download? It can take a while depending on the load on the servers.

3. If you've given it 20 minutes or so and its not showing, enter update now in the input box and the top and wait for a response.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3
Alvin Litonjua | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 9:16 AM

1. Gotcha. Thanks

3. I purchased the books on Oct 31 and its still saying the same thing. I can access it though through the Logos Wen App but not on the dowloaded app.

Posts 1831
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 9:25 AM

Alvin Litonjua:
I can access it though through the Logos Wen App but not on the dowloaded app.

To me this strongly suggests that you have accidentally created multiple Logos accounts. Please verify that the email address for the desktop application found for the account under "About Logos Bible Software" is the same as you used to purchase the books which you can read on the web.

Whatever you find, you will probably need to email support@logos.com (iirc) since we are volunteers and not Faithlife employees who can do anything. If they are different accounts, ask for the accounts to be merged, which is pretty routine from all the WORDsearch accounts imported recently.

If they are the same, then it may be more complicated...

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 3
Alvin Litonjua | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 8:28 PM

Thanks guys, very helpful! Turns out a friend's account was logged on my desktop. Just switched to my account and all resources are intanct.

Posts 32973
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 9:28 PM

Alvin Litonjua:

Thanks guys, very helpful! Turns out a friend's account was logged on my desktop. Just switched to my account and all resources are intanct.

Having your avatar in the upper right is designed to prevent this sort of problem ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS