Bob and Faithlife Dream Team, please do just ONE thing for me,,,,,Just ONE

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1486
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:31 AM

I continue to be amazed with all of the features that Faithliife has rolled out. Just when you think there's nothing left to bring to the table, you guys come up with more stuff. Thank you for all the advancements you guys continue to make.

I just have one request. With all the amazing features you guys are developing, this should be very easy to do, and I know that there are many people who would be thankful...

I can't help but think that the developers of the Visual Copy feature don't use the feature much, or at least are not pastors who teach on a regular basis. I say this because, although the refresh to Visual Copy in Logo 7 is very nice, you guys left out an important feature. It would be so very nice if Visual Copy would take an entire passage and create one slide for each verse. It's a hassle to have to do this manually now. It would be nice, for example, to select all of Romans  8, click on Visual Copy, and have L7 produce a slide for each verse individually. Without this feature, Visual Copy is only partially beneficial.

I've discussed this with Bob before, and he has pointed me toward Proclaim. Our church does use Proclaim, and we enjoyed it. But I teach in a couple of colleges and universities, and other places that don't use Proclaim. I also don't use Proclaim for Sunday night teachings at my church. In all of these circumstances, I must make slides one verse at a time. Please consider adding the ability to make multiple slides with just one click in Visual Copy. I know there's probably a million reasons why this is difficult to accomplish, but it's got to be much easier than the difficulty level experienced in developing all of these amazing features that have came out of Logos 6 and L7. 

So please, please put this feature enhancement into consideration and then implementation. I would forever be in your debt. 

God bless!

Myke

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 2002
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:39 AM

Agree..I've been asking for the ability to change the font-size and font-color for a long time...

How could a big software like Logos not include font-adjuster for Visual Copy, when things like these are so commonly used.

Posts 6775
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:42 AM

I highlighted Acts 18 and sent to visual copy, it created slides of the first two verses.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 25762
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:43 AM

You can get pretty close to this using the Sermon Tool.

Create a new Sermon Document and enter "Romans 8" on a blank line and press Enter.

This will automatically populate the document with the chapter and automatically create slides.

These can then be exported to Proclaim or PowerPoint.

Having just tried this it looks as though most verses are on individual slides, they are just a couple of cases with two verses per slide.

You don't get verse numbers - although you could add these if exporting to Proclaim.

Worth looking at as I think it gives you a lot of what you are asking for

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:45 AM

mike:

I've been asking for the ability to change the font-size and font-color for a long time...

In addition to this, I would like the ability to align text to my preference (center, justify, right-align etc). And it is just me, or is Visual Copy no longer showing under the Tools menu?

Posts 25762
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:46 AM

Yasmin Stephen:
And it is just me, or is Visual Copy no longer showing under the Tools menu?

Replaced / enhanced with the Media Tool

You will still see "Visual Copy" in the right-click menu

Posts 30473
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:47 AM

Myke Harbuck:
I can't help but think that the developers of the Visual Copy feature don't use the feature much, or at least are not pastors who teach on a regular basis.

I agree with your suggestion (it SHOULD be implemented!), but I think that is pretty harsh... Especially since not everyone who preaches or teaches would have need for the feature. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:51 AM

Graham Criddle:

Yasmin Stephen:
And it is just me, or is Visual Copy no longer showing under the Tools menu?

Replaced / enhanced with the Media Tool

Thanks Graham - I see it now. I know about the right-click but I also used Visual Copy to create slides with my own text, so I used it from the Tools menu as well.

Posts 6775
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 10:01 AM

Graham Criddle:

You can get pretty close to this using the Sermon Tool.

Create a new Sermon Document and enter "Romans 8" on a blank line and press Enter.

This will automatically populate the document with the chapter and automatically create slides.

These can then be exported to Proclaim or PowerPoint.

Having just tried this it looks as though most verses are on individual slides, they are just a couple of cases with two verses per slide.

You don't get verse numbers - although you could add these if exporting to Proclaim.

Worth looking at as I think it gives you a lot of what you are asking for

Thanks for the work around.

Posts 1486
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 10:03 AM

alabama24:

Myke Harbuck:
I can't help but think that the developers of the Visual Copy feature don't use the feature much, or at least are not pastors who teach on a regular basis.

I think that is pretty harsh... Especially since not everyone who preaches or teaches would have need for the feature. 

I sincerely apologize. I never want to come across harsh, argumentative, or condescending in these forums.  It really bothers me when I see those types of attitude expressed in the forums, and I never want to be guilty of, or misunderstood as, having conveyed those attitudes in my posts. 

That wasn't my intention and wasn't even a consideration when I wrote this. But this does serve as a reminder to be careful so as to write in such a way that my comments cannot be misconstrued. 

My apolgies everyone. 

Myke Harbuck

Posts 30473
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 10:11 AM

Myke Harbuck:
That wasn't my intention and wasn't even a consideration when I wrote this.

I didn't think it was. Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 819
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 10:22 AM

Myke Harbuck:

We have had a number of bi-vocational developer/pastors. They tend to leave us to become full-time pastors, though!

Myke Harbuck:
t would be so very nice if Visual Copy would take an entire passage and create one slide for each verse.

Agreed! This feature is planned for 7.x incremental release, basically as soon as we can finish it. (There were a number of sub-features for the Media tool that didn't make the 7.0 cut that will appear in 7.1, 7.2, and so on. This is one of them.)

Myke Harbuck:
I know there's probably a million reasons why this is difficult to accomplish,

Not really difficult on its own, but has to be done in a certain order. We had to update the old VC rendering service to allow for overflow onto multiple slides first (which shipped) and rearrange the VC user interface fairly significantly to allow for previews of said overflowed renderings (which also shipped), and only then is it even possible to start on building various slide rendering styles such as one slide per verse.

Hope that helps!

Posts 5
Pastor Shawn D | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 10:24 AM

Absolutely not Myke! That was not harsh at all! FL has asked for feedback and this is a very practical way to improve their product. I am a Pastor and use "Visual Copy" every week. It is very laborious in how it works and your suggestion would speed up my work time considerably. Thank you for putting this out there and I give a heartily +1

Posts 6775
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 10:27 AM

Eli, while we have your attention, may we have a template that allows us to import a photo and have it look like it came from Faithlife. Too many authors that the user may want to put in visual copy.

Posts 819
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 10:36 AM

(FWIW, I heard "passion" not "harshness." We're very grateful for the feedback, as always.)

Posts 819
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 10:39 AM

Lynden Williams:
Eli, while we have your attention, may we have a template that allows us to import a photo and have it look like it came from Faithlife. Too many authors that the user may want to put in visual copy.

Uploading your own background images to the Media Tool is on the 7.x roadmap, but I can't say exactly when yet.

Uploading foreground images (a photo to lay on top of a template) is a feature of Proclaim today, and might be a feature of Media Tool in the future, but that's less certain. I expect foreground images to come some time after custom backgrounds.

Posts 6775
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 10:42 AM

Thanks Eli. It is on the road map. Hope it stays on the road and not get bumped off. Will wait. I know these things take time, and there are many irons in the fire.

Posts 1486
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 1:23 PM

alabama24:

Myke Harbuck:
That wasn't my intention and wasn't even a consideration when I wrote this.

I didn't think it was. Smile

Thanks man,,,and thanks esp for pointing that out to me. I really get discouraged with the attitudes that some (a few specific repeat offenders come to mind), and that often keeps me off the forums. People can be very rude and cruel on these forums, eps when they are lashing out at Bob or at FL employees. And when their cruelty is pointed out, they could care less. I guess Im naive, but I am of the opinion that if we offend others it should bother us and prick our hearts so that we want to make it right and correct our attitudes. IDK...like I said, maybe I am naive. 

But I don't ever want to be thought of in that vein, so I will be careful about how I word my posts, even when I am frustrated (I actually wasn't here, though). 

Thanks again for the gentle reminder. Big Smile

Myke Harbuck

Posts 1486
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 1:24 PM

Pastor Shawn D:

Absolutely not Myke! That was not harsh at all! FL has asked for feedback and this is a very practical way to improve their product. I am a Pastor and use "Visual Copy" every week. It is very laborious in how it works and your suggestion would speed up my work time considerably. Thank you for putting this out there and I give a heartily +1

Thanks for the vote of confidence brother....glad to know others can relate. :-) 

Myke Harbuck

Posts 1486
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 1:30 PM

Eli Evans:

This feature is planned for 7.x incremental release, basically as soon as we can finish it. (There were a number of sub-features for the Media tool that didn't make the 7.0 cut that will appear in 7.1, 7.2, and so on. This is one of them.)

MAN, YOU JUST MADE MY DAY...no, my week...no, my month...no, my year! Seriously, thank you so much for the information. I am super excited. I have been praying and asking for this feature for several years (literally!). I even had it on a prayer list for a season (really!). 

Can you disclose, in generalities, any other the other enhancements (sub-features) that are coming with this enhancement. And will the multi-slide sub-feature (is there a better name for this sub-feature) come first? In other words, is it highest on the priority list as far as Media Tool enhancements are concerned. 

THANK YOU AGAIN! I really am super excited! 

Myke Harbuck

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS