My brain hurts, please help me decide.

Page 1 of 3 (49 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 48 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 157
Donn Arms | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 26 2016 7:52 AM

I have Logos 6.14 Platinum (LE) (but I have no idea what the "LE" means). I have all the books I require, and more. To upgrade to the "Full Feature Set" will cost $299. I do not want to be locked into renting the software long-term. BUT, if I go with a Logos Now subscription for a year, that will cost $89. I can then use the 30% discount to purchase the full feature set for $209. Correct? That would be like purchasing the Full Feature Set and getting Logos Now free for a year. Correct? Or, I could just stay on Logos Now forever and be the hostage to whatever price increases Logos imposes each year.

I could wait until the end of a Logos Now subscription to purchase the Full Data Set but then I would only get a 25% discount off an unknown price.

I can't get through to sales. I'm going to take some aspirin.

Posts 227
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:00 AM

Not sure if this option is implied in your email above but:

You could take out a Logos Now subscription and spend a few days determining which of the new features in Logos 7 you want/need.

If the answer is none you could then wait for the free update to arrive which I believe will give you exactly what you have now in version 7.

You could also determine whether the Logos Now only features are something that you want in which case you might want to reconsider the rental option.

Of course if you then decide you want the new stuff but not the Logos Now only stuff, and you really don't want to rent, you are back to what is the best way to buy the features.

Posts 127
Russel Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:07 AM

Are you certain you're looking at the upgrade price properly?  I don't have a Platinum edition of anything.  The highest I purchased of any tradition was Gold.  But even still, in order for me to upgrade to the Full Feature set, I can purchase Verbum Bronze for $169.41.  Anything Bronze and up includes the Full Feature set.  So instead of looking at just the Full Feature set, you might look at the Bronze libraries from each tradition to see if you can get it cheaper.  I think that you should be able to.

Posts 157
Donn Arms | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:09 AM

Graham Owen:
If the answer is none you could then wait for the free update to arrive which I believe will give you exactly what you have now in version 7.

Thanks Graham, but let me get this straight. If I just wait I will be getting a free update to Logos 7 or just some of the stuff in Logos 7 added to my Logos 6? Is that a good long term solution?

Posts 1070
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:14 AM

Hello Don

Back in 2010 when i first got Logos 4 it was called Logos Leaders ( LE).

Did you ever buy a Logos 5 or Logos 6 ver? If not this could be it.

Also if you don't want any added books just get the "Full Feature Set" and you will have all the benefits of L7 with your current library.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 21572
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:16 AM

Donn Arms:
If I just wait I will be getting a free update to Logos 7 or just some of the stuff in Logos 7 added to my Logos 6? Is that a good long term solution?

The Logos 7 core engine is expected to be available for free in February 2017.

This will have some new "free features" but we don't know what they are yet. Otherwise, it will feel very similar to what you have now.

If you want the features in the feature sets - either Starter or Full - you would need to purchase them.

Posts 157
Donn Arms | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:17 AM

Russel Taylor:
I can purchase Verbum Bronze for $169.41.

This is why my head hurts so much. For me, going to Standard Bronze is $313. With that I get NOTHING I am interested in that I do not already have.

Posts 13116
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:21 AM

Donn Arms:
I have all the books I require, and more. To upgrade to the "Full Feature Set" will cost $299. I do not want to be locked into renting the software long-term. BUT, if I go with a Logos Now subscription for a year, that will cost $89. I can then use the 30% discount to purchase the full feature set for $209.

Yes, that's pretty much correct, bar some change.* Assuming you haven't rounded your $299 figure, I'd expect the Feature Set to cost $211.79 with membership, which would leave you $2.78 out of pocket after the subscription. Definitely worth it though, for a year of Logos Now.

* The difference is because you don't get a 30% discount with Logos Now. It's 25%. The current promo pushes that to 36.25%, but the promo also lets you have a 10% discount on the Feature Pack price without Logos Now. So you're still a lot better off, but not quite 30% better off.

Posts 13116
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:23 AM

Donn Arms:
This is why my head hurts so much. For me, going to Standard Bronze is $313. With that I get NOTHING I am interested in that I do not already have.

But it's still only $14 more than what you said the Feature Pack costs. Those extra resources might be worth $14 (or check out other Bronze offerings).

Posts 127
Russel Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:23 AM

Donn Arms:

Russel Taylor:
I can purchase Verbum Bronze for $169.41.

It sounds like you must have purchased your Platinum before Logos 6, right?  That would explain why the feature upgrade is higher for you than for me.

If you're not interested in any of the new features, you could just stick with what you have.  You'll get the free engine upgrade to Logos 7 when they release it.  However, once Logos 8 comes out the Feature upgrade will be even more expensive, if you decide you ever want to "catch up."

Logos Now kind of causes the same thing to happen, I think.  If you don't want to lose the newer features, you have to keep paying...

My plan is to upgrade to a Starter 7 soon.  I can do that for just over $50.  Then eventually upgrade to a Bronze edition to complete the feature set.

Posts 13116
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:26 AM

Russel Taylor:
It sounds like you must have purchased your Platinum before Logos 6, right?

Platinum LE was a Logos 4 base package.

Posts 227
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:28 AM

Donn Arms:
If I just wait I will be getting a free update to Logos 7 or just some of the stuff in Logos 7 added

My understanding is that if you wait you will get all of the features that you currently have in a version that is called "Logos 7 Free". My assumption here is that these will be updated to include at least some if not all the enhancements made for version 7.

You will not get all of the new stuff and, again based on my understanding, you will not get the new datasets. In the current architecture of Logos it is often the datasets that are the real value in the new features.

Whilst you may get some of the new features my assumption here is that if you do they will be fairly minor. So basically expect that Logos 7 Free will be what you have now made a bit prettier with a Logos 7 badge.

The point is that if you are happy with what you have, don't want the new stuff and basically want to upgrade for support/software currency issues then the free upgrade may be an option.

This is the core value of Faithlife's promise to keep the core engine "free". Personally I like playing with the new stuff, which is why I have a Logos Now subscription. The main downside I can see is that if you skip Logos 7 the cost of upgrading from 6 to 8 would be greater (possibly twice as much). 

Posts 157
Donn Arms | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:29 AM

Mark Barnes:
The difference is because you don't get a 30% discount with Logos Now. It's 25%. The current promo pushes that to 36.25%, but the promo also lets you have a 10% discount on the Feature Pack price without Logos Now. So you're still a lot better off, but not quite 30% better off.

Thanks Mark. The website says they are offering an additional 5% discount. Don't know how long that will last.

Posts 227
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:38 AM

Mine says Portfolio V5 IH and I think the IH here equates to the LE mentioned above.

There used to be an explanation in the FAQS about the two letter combinations, from memory one was the Library Level and the other was the feature set and one was ascending through the alphabet while the other descended. Don't think it was ever something to worry about it was just one of the ways that Faithlife tried to track things in the past.

Posts 13116
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:48 AM

Donn Arms:
Thanks Mark. The website says they are offering an additional 5% discount. Don't know how long that will last.

It's 5% above the 10% offered to non-members. So under the promo, non-members get 10% and members get 15%. But members already get a 25% discount on buying the Feature Set only, so they get 15%+25% which equals 36.25% (because you multiply, not add, percentage discounts).

Posts 13116
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:53 AM

Graham Owen:
There used to be an explanation in the FAQS about the two letter combinations, from memory one was the Library Level and the other was the feature set and one was ascending through the alphabet while the other descended. Don't think it was ever something to worry about it was just one of the ways that Faithlife tried to track things in the past.

The two-letters both mean the same thing. They belong together. 

1. RA: Libronix 1
  2. QB: Libronix 2
  3. OC: Libronix 3
  4. ND: Libronix 3 (maintenance update)
  5. LE: Logos 4
  6. KF: Logos 4 (maintenance update)
  7. JG: Logos 4 (maintenance update)
  8. IH: Logos 5
  9. GK: Logos 6

I presume Logos 7 packages are FL, but I can't see that anywhere.

Posts 157
Donn Arms | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 9:47 AM

Mark Barnes:
It's 5% above the 10% offered to non-members. So under the promo, non-members get 10% and members get 15%. But members already get a 25% discount on buying the Feature Set only, so they get 15%+25% which equals 36.25% (because you multiply, not add, percentage discounts).

It is only 5% but this is what I see on the Logos Now page:

• Always save at least 10% on Logos 7 Libraries
  • Always save at least 25% on Logos 7 Feature Sets
  • PLUS, Logos Now members save an additional 5% on top of our already great introductory discount
  • And always access every Logos 7 feature for no additional charge

I understand this to say that normally Logos Now members regularly get a 25% discount for now but they are giving an "additional 5%."

I still can't get through to sales at Logos. Is there anyone at Logos who can weigh in on this? Regardless of 25% or 30% is my original premise correct?

Posts 13116
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 10:06 AM

Donn Arms:

It is only 5% but this is what I see on the Logos Now page:

• Always save at least 10% on Logos 7 Libraries
  • Always save at least 25% on Logos 7 Feature Sets
  • PLUS, Logos Now members save an additional 5% on top of our already great introductory discount
  • And always access every Logos 7 feature for no additional charge

I understand this to say that normally Logos Now members regularly get a 25% discount for now but they are giving an "additional 5%."

No, it's not saying that, as I explained earlier.

1. Logos Now members regularly get a 25% discount.
  2. There's a "great introductory discount" for everyone of 10%
  3. Logos Now members save an additional 5% on top of the "great introductory discount", so save 15%.
  4. So non-members save 10%, whereas members save 25%+15% = 36.35%.

If you're price is $299 as a non-member, then the regular price would be $332.22.

If you were a Now member, you'd normally get a 25% discount on the regular price, which is $249.17. But at the moment you get an extra 15% (the normal 10% plus the additional 5%), which will bring your price down to $211.79. That's almost the same as 30% off your $299, but not quite.

Posts 157
Donn Arms | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 10:22 AM

Thanks Mark. So then I am correct to conclude that if I subscribe to Logos Now for one year, and then purchase the Logos 7 Full Feature Set, it would be approximately the same as buying Logos 7 and getting a year of Now for free. Correct?

Posts 13116
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 11:59 AM

Donn Arms:

Thanks Mark. So then I am correct to conclude that if I subscribe to Logos Now for one year, and then purchase the Logos 7 Full Feature Set, it would be approximately the same as buying Logos 7 and getting a year of Now for free. Correct?

Yes. 

Page 1 of 3 (49 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS