The forums are becoming less than effective for me....A thread of encouragement.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 6 2010 5:01 AM

DISCLAIMER: I am not criticizing the forums, nor do I want this thread hijacked into criticism of the forums!

The vast majority of posts in the forums deal with bug reports or requests for features, while these are necessary, they don't help me use Logos to study God's Word. (For the most part)

I would really like to learn from those of you out there as to how you are using Logos (which ever flavor) to study 

I would like to see examples of how you used Logos to answer a question that came up in discussion or bible study.

I would like to see people post questions that they have and have other people respond with examples of how they would use Logos resources to answer those questions.

I am not looking for theological debates, although with this group that you are going to have a hard time resisting, I am looking for real word examples (start your own thread, don't post to this one).

An example of what I am talking about can be found in this thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/11956/93445.aspx#93445

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2010 5:13 AM

Terry,

I agree wholeheartedly, since I have no huge bug reports to file, and we all know what the missing features are... :) I'm inclined to agree with you...

I really get a lot out of these threads since I have never been to seminary and I live by no Logos users...

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2010 6:26 AM

Terry Poperszky:
The vast majority of posts in the forums deal with bug reports or requests for features, while these are necessary, they don't help me use Logos to study God's Word.

Terry

I think that we will see a change over the next few months and that the forums will start to offer more of the kind of help that you are looking for. The dominance of bug fix and feature requests is a natural outcome of the recent release and on going development of Version 4 and looking at the missing features schedule you can expect them to be around for a while.

Another factor is that in some ways this is still a new community made up of some old timers from the News Groups and a lot of new people and it will take a while to develop a real sense of community. That's not a criticism of the change its just a fact, there are a lot of new names here and a lot of the frequent posters from the news groups have become occasional posters on the forums.

You might also want to consider creating a few posts that specifically ask questions about how people approach study with Logos. In the news group days asking George a question about original languages or addressing a question to another expert was a common way to start a thread.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2010 7:26 AM

Graham Owen:
I think that we will see a change over the next few months and that the forums will start to offer more of the kind of help that you are looking for.
Graham, I agree and my post was designed to help facilitate/accelerate this change. Big Smile

Graham Owen:
In the news group days asking George a question about original languages or addressing a question to another expert was a common way to start a thread.
Asking George about the benefit of interlinears is much more entertaining. But I agree with your point.

Graham Owen:
You might also want to consider creating a few posts that specifically ask questions about how people approach study with Logos.
 There have been a couple, Mark's video series on sermon prep was excellent, but I am looking for smaller bites. I have a study methodology,  but on a question that  asked last night concerning a specific issue, David came back with using Logos in a fashion I hadn't considered to answer that specific question. Now based on that, I won't change my methodology, but I will learn more about the technique that he suggested so that I can use it in the future.

So, I in essence, I want to learn from the questions of others as well.

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2010 8:29 AM

I agree with you guys on that and I hope we will get there sooner or later. As you see even mentioning interlinears doesn't provoke George to the proper reaction so obviously something is not working as it should Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2010 8:38 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
...even mentioning interlinears doesn't provoke George to the proper reaction so obviously something is not working as it should

Makes you wonder whether he's seen the light and is now using them. Wink

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2010 9:23 AM

Terry Poperszky:

I would really like to learn from those of you out there as to how you are using Logos (which ever flavor) to study 

I would like to see examples of how you used Logos to answer a question that came up in discussion or bible study.

I would like to see people post questions that they have and have other people respond with examples of how they would use Logos resources to answer those questions.

I agree.  Right now you have to wade through scads of bug reports and problems and Mac issues (not relevant if you're a Windows person & vice versa) to find any useful topics.  I try to post my questions to the proper sections but there are not enough sections for all my questions.  That being said, maybe it would be helpful if the forums were divided into a few more sections. 

The forum could be divided into 2 major sections, one for the Windows Edition and the other for the Mac Edition.  If you use the Mac edition they would go in the Mac Only section, if the Windows Edition they'd go in the Windows Only section, and so on. 

Then (for each Edition) if you have bug reports, they would go in the Bug Reports section.  If you have questions about actually using Logos to find specific information they would go in the How Do You . . . section - there could be one for L3 and another for L4.  If you have beta issues they would go in the Beta Only section. There could even be an Off Topic section just for theoligical debates.  And these are just a few examples. 

The way the forum is set up right now there are 11 sections to post to.  But there could easily be 25.  That way it would be a lot easier to locate specific subjects that a user would want to find without doing a search.  Plus you would still have the Recent Topics sections where the latest posts are just jumbled together by date & time.

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2010 9:29 AM

If bug reporters are more careful where to report bugs (for L4 report them under L4 Beta) then the L4 and general forums should be clear for discussion like you're looking for. We currently don't ahve any other option on iPhone and Mobile web than to post bug reports in the main section. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 10832
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2010 9:47 AM

Stein Dahl:
The forum could be divided into 2 major sections, one for the Windows Edition and the other for the Mac Edition.  If you use the Mac edition they would go in the Mac Only section, if the Windows Edition they'd go in the Windows Only section, and so on. 

There are already two Mac forums. Once L4 Mac reaches parity with the Windows version, there will be little need for separate forums as both versions will operate in essentially the same manner. The L4 Mac forum is presently primarily bug reports for the Alpha version. Operational questions will still be the L4 forum no matter which version is being used.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2010 10:20 AM

Jacob Hantla:
If bug reporters are more careful where to report bugs (for L4 report them under L4 Beta) then the L4 and general forums should be clear for discussion like you're looking

So true.  The technical posts are so pleantiful it buries the general posts.

I would enjoy a thread (or many) dedicated to specific methods of applying the tools available within Logos. An experienced Pastor or Professor could give us step-by-step guidance on methodologies and power-user tips that may be presently undocumenyed. I have learned several new ways of tailoring searches that I would never have dreamed up on my own. If necessary, create a new section called "LogosUniversity" (name already taken?) and even cover topics of Historical, Managerial & Practical in nature. I used to come to the forums looking for technical answers (Thanks Dave Hooten, et al) and ended up learning things I did not even know existed. I'd like to be able to find those types of posts again. Geeked

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2010 11:51 AM

Matthew C Jones:

Jacob Hantla:
If bug reporters are more careful where to report bugs (for L4 report them under L4 Beta) then the L4 and general forums should be clear for discussion like you're looking

I would enjoy a thread (or many) dedicated to specific methods of applying the tools available within Logos. An experienced Pastor or Professor could give us step-by-step guidance on methodologies and power-user tips that may be presently undocumenyed. I have learned several new ways of tailoring searches that I would never have dreamed up on my own. If necessary, create a new section called "LogosUniversity" (name already taken?) and even cover topics of Historical, Managerial & Practical in nature. I used to come to the forums looking for technical answers (Thanks Dave Hooten, et al) and ended up learning things I did not even know existed. I'd like to be able to find those types of posts again. Geeked

Agreed!

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2010 4:11 PM

I would like to add or verify something to this "bug reporting."  Of course bugs go separate from how to posts.  I would lump the "L4 has stopped" or "my indexer is not stopping"  posts with these "bug reports."

Posts 26953
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 9 2010 3:07 AM

Matthew C Jones:

This is one of my infrequent forays into General ..  I didn't know about UserVoice until today!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS