Martin Luther - which works do I want?

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1779
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 8:30 AM

Virgil Buttram:
I knew that we have been talking past each other since the Reformation, and I knew that Luther was trained in the tradition of Biel, but I had never put the two together before. Thanks for the insight!

Some of that understanding is from a ex-Lutheran who has "swam the Tiber". I think it was Wilken, but not sure. Also from David Steinmetz who pointed out the drastically different ways St. Thomas Aquinas has been read over history, and his argument that Luther never really experienced the way Aquinas has been received by the Roman Church. Add in the development that both sides have had since then, and it is easy to miss each other's point. I know when I hear criticisms of Jansenism I often cringe - and yet, as a Lutheran I have to admit that that I would also want to criticize a Jansenistic separating of Grace from the sacraments...

Speaking of David Steinmetz, it would be nice to have his Luther in Context in Logos.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS