Hillary Clinton on the Home page of Logos

Page 1 of 6 (105 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 104 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 10
Dennis Edward Bean | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 16 2016 8:21 AM

Is anyone besides me totally disgusted with an article singing the praises of Hillary Clinton as a person of faith on the Logos Home page? Political pandering gone wild! Logos promotes a candidate that endorses the killing of unborn babies for any and every reason is something I cannot support.

Posts 6588
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 8:37 AM

https://news.faithlife.com/ 

If you are not automatically signed in, then do so (top left corner) choose About and then Channels, and tell the software which news feed you are interested in seeing on your homepage.

The offending posts is coming from the Gospel Herald.

Lynden Williams Communi

Posts 28373
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 8:42 AM

Dennis Edward Bean:
Logos promotes a candidate

For clarification: Logos is not promoting anyone. As Lynden mentioned, the article comes from a news source. You can customize those preferences.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 8:45 AM

Here, as in many other instances, Logos is the neutral (non-filtering) channel of distribution. They have a customer base covering a wide range of Christian beliefs, and have chosen to offer content from a similar range of third-party providers.

So what you see on your Logos home page is not selected or filtered by Logos; they are not promoting anything. It is unfiltered, from one or more of the content providers, who are the ones doing the promoting. When we disagree with a position asserted by one of those providers, we can (as Lynden has outlined) remove that provider from our own Logos home page.

Ultimately, it is up to us to be the filters for ourselves (and our households, as relevant), and we should not expect that anyone else is going to do that task for us and according to our preferences.

Posts 10
Dennis Edward Bean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 9:08 AM

Thanks Lynden. I thought Faithlife news was news about Faithlife and their products. I never knew there was a way to select channels or that channels even existed. I clicked on the link you posted. The channel selection was on the top right corner. I turned off the Gospel Herald.

Posts 2579
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 9:22 AM

That's the reason why I've deactivated Faithlife News entirely from my Logos Home screen. When I want to read news, I do that elsewhere, and when I open Logos, I don't want to read news. Always too much anger stirring up when I start reading...

Politics is a very ugly business. I've made it a habit, in my own country (not USA), not ever to vote for a major candidate. The whole bunch of them is compromised in one way or the other in endorsing abortion, and if not abortion, then it's stem cell research or some other sort of disguised abortion. I usually pick a candidate who doesn't stand a chance, the more Chistian the better. My vote is lost, but my conscience is clear...

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 9:35 AM

If you are concerned about the lives of unborn babies (like I am) be sure to nix Gospel Herald from your news feed or cancel the news feed all together.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1082
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 9:44 AM

I never really understood why Faithlife wanted to put a newsfeed (other than Faithlife news) on the Logos homepage.  I'm sure it sounded like a nifty idea in product development meetings, but it is - at best - quite peripheral to the central purpose of the software.  It also inevitably results in questions like this one about why a particular story is included, whether it's appropriate, and whether or not Faithlife is implicitly endorsing a particular editorial point of view by including it in the feeds.  It seems to me to be creating unnecessary customer complaints without materially improving the value of the program as a study tool.

Posts 10
Dennis Edward Bean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 10:18 AM

Hey Matt, I did just that after reading how from another contributor.

Posts 932
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 10:33 AM

The news feed is definitely a relic of the weird drift from core competency from which they seem to have mostly recovered.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 10:36 AM

And yet how many times do we hear a request or fix is "on the list" or "not sure when we will get to it". It's rather maddening....

Posts 995
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 11:30 AM

Don Awalt:

And yet how many times do we hear a request or fix is "on the list" or "not sure when we will get to it". It's rather maddening....

I'm just grateful for what we *do* have already. Such a powerful tool for Bible study! 

On this issue of the Newsfeed, it's something I've only just discovered. The first thing I noticed is that on the home page there is no way of knowing (from what I can tell) what the source of the news item is without clicking on it.

It just says: Faithlife News, which can be misleading because this news has nothing to do with Faithlife! It would be good if there was a way of letting us know where this news is coming from before we click.

But I actually like this feature - I can choose where the news comes from, and even suggest news channels.

Personally, Babylon Bee is the only Christian news I need. I've suggested it to FL, although they might not be entirely happy with their coverage!

Posts 490
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 2:37 PM

yeah, I turned this "feature" off a long time ago!

Posts 29135
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 3:40 PM

Dennis Edward Bean:
I thought Faithlife news was news about Faithlife and their products. I never knew there was a way to select channels or that channels even existed.

That's why I highly recommend that people ask in the forums first before making suggestions or registering complaints.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1796
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 4:52 PM

Richard Wardman:
Personally, Babylon Bee is the only Christian news I need.

You got my vote Yes

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 7281
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 5:30 PM

Don Awalt:

Except with this you have the option to turn it off at your fingertips 😉

Like others said, I'm greatful for what we do have and can control.

DAL

Posts 2447
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 8:21 PM

Can I vote for the editor of the Babylon Bee in November...Geeked

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 451
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 11:30 PM

Its a wonderful thing to have leaders and the ability to switch off when you don't want to hear what they have to say. An alternative suggestion - keep the news feed going and pray for the salvation of that candidate? (Just an observation). Keep well Paul

Posts 584
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2016 11:28 AM

Yes

Posts 1737
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2016 12:39 PM

I have Baptist Silver 6.x and wonder where I would go to turn off newsfeeds featuring political liars and self-centered bigots please?

Dennis, thanks for your courageous stand on such issues and the desire that they NOT be randomly interspersed on any of our Logos homepage.

Can anyone show us where to actually turn off such feeds please.  Thanks.

God bless whoever successfully becomes President - She or He will certainly need our prayers - of this I am certain.

May whoever it is rely upon Jesus for guidance/care and become/remain a person of integrity and deep God-focused conviction.

Page 1 of 6 (105 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS