Hillary Clinton on the Home page of Logos

Page 3 of 6 (105 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 104 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 29102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2016 1:49 PM

Roger Dittmar:
I unsuccessfully searched for a previous posting of your recommended newsite list. Would you be wiling to share your list in the forums?

On the page where you select the newsfeeds you want there is an option to suggest additional newsfeeds. That is what I used. I don't recall specifically which ones I recommended ... only that I decided 6 suggestions was a limit. I's sure I would have included http://www.anglicannews.org/ , likely http://religionnews.com/ ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 29102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2016 2:03 PM

Lee:
I get angry when I see Logos / FL posting something like this with Clinton when her stand is not Biblical, but anti she also has and continues to support LGBTG just like Obama which I also have not use for. These people are not our brothers & sisters in the faith regardless of what the claim to be. As the Bible says "You will know them by their fruits". And their fruit is anti-Christian.

And this is the type of post that annoys me. Should I write Faithlife and demand that they take down the forums? Of course not, despite the fact I believe it to represent a non-Christan view. I should either stop reading once I see what the post is - irrelevant to the forums and personally offensive - or if I read it, simply remember that there are others on the forums with tightly held beliefs that I disagree with. Perhaps even chuckle a bit sometimes at the abuse of reasonable hermeneutics ... sometimes cry a bit about the state of education and the culture of fear in our nation. But as long as the post is not abusing the guidelines in the sense of abusing a group of people, I have no reason to complain. I simply don't want Logos to play censor ... I'm still annoyed about Dracula. Logos users should be their own censors.

Note: if I were to install Logos on every desk of a grade school, then I would censor what was visible to the students while assuming that the children were being taught to censor their own reading.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 29102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2016 2:08 PM

Cynthia in Florida:

Dennis Edward Bean:

Thanks Lynden. I thought Faithlife news was news about Faithlife and their products. I never knew there was a way to select channels or that channels even existed. I clicked on the link you posted. The channel selection was on the top right corner. I turned off the Gospel Herald.

I have to say I didn't know this either!  Thanks!

See you need to read ALL of the tips of the day TIP of the day: Christian News your way

Posts 286
Roger Dittmar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2016 2:39 PM

MJ. Smith:
On the page where you select the newsfeeds you want there is an option to suggest additional newsfeeds. That is what I used. I don't recall specifically which ones I recommended ... only that I decided 6 suggestions was a limit. I's sure I would have included http://www.anglicannews.org/ , likely http://religionnews.com/ ...

MJ - Thank you for the feedback.

Roger

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2016 3:05 PM

MJ. Smith:

Cynthia in Florida:

Dennis Edward Bean:

Thanks Lynden. I thought Faithlife news was news about Faithlife and their products. I never knew there was a way to select channels or that channels even existed. I clicked on the link you posted. The channel selection was on the top right corner. I turned off the Gospel Herald.

I have to say I didn't know this either!  Thanks!

See you need to read ALL of the tips of the day TIP of the day: Christian News your way

It's hard keeping up with you girlfriend!  Like I asked before...DO YOU EVER SLEEP????

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2016 3:36 PM

fgh:

Would Faithlife Newsfeed be a better name?

YES, because I have to admit that the lines get blurry when they call it Faithlife News.  It makes it sound like it's coming from them, especially if, like me, one didn't even know that it was a feed.  I don't click on them a lot, but today I learned I can actually CHOOSE the feeds.  

Always learning!

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 6588
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2016 6:21 PM

Perhaps a link in the gear to take you to the website. Once you get to the website, video instruction on how to choose the different news feed. 

I would love to have my denomination's news feed come up on the Homepage.

Lynden Williams Commu

Posts 6588
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2016 6:25 PM

Having news feed from official denominational sites in one handy place would be quite convenient for me. Since they are optional (make it easier to configure) those not interested can turn the feature off, or unsubscribe form them.

When setting up the software for the first time, the user can be given to option to configure which feeds show if any at all.

Lynden Williams Commu

Posts 1083
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2016 9:53 PM

And this is the type of post that annoys me. Should I write Faithlife and demand that they take down the forums? Of course not, despite the fact I believe it to represent a non-Christan view

MJ how is it non-Christian to call SIN what it is SIN? I think it is more non-Christian to not point out what God condemns as Sin in the Bible.

We only need to look and the Word is very clear Rev 2:14 and 2:20 and here it is Jesus speaking, Romans 1:21-32 is even more detailed. I am sorry but I will follow what the Bible calls Christian or non-Christian.

I don't always agree with what you say but i don't make statements either like maybe i should write to faith life and have demand that the remove your post.

What annoys me is when people call themselves Christian and then do things that are clearly non-Christian.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 450
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2016 10:44 PM

Lee:

And this is the type of post that annoys me. Should I write Faithlife and demand that they take down the forums? Of course not, despite the fact I believe it to represent a non-Christan view

MJ how is it non-Christian to call SIN what it is SIN? I think it is more non-Christian to not point out what God condemns as Sin in the Bible.

We only need to look and the Word is very clear Rev 2:14 and 2:20 and here it is Jesus speaking, Romans 1:21-32 is even more detailed. I am sorry but I will follow what the Bible calls Christian or non-Christian.

I don't always agree with what you say but i don't make statements either like maybe i should write to faith life and have demand that the remove your post.

What annoys me is when people call themselves Christian and then do things that are clearly non-Christian.

Lee - What has being Christian really to do with the issue? You disagree with a newsfeed for your own reasons and the solution is for you to take action to switch off your own access to it. The solution is in your own hands.  

As to changing what should come along the Faithlife news feed - there may be Christians who disagree and wish to receive the newsfeed undisturbed. It is not sinful for them to wish to know something Clinton might be saying. People who disagree with Clinton may also like to keep abreast of her speeches for their own reasons. A spread of ideas, even ones we disagree with, is part of the fabric of freedom. And what of Faithlife which sells many types of books which people of different faiths may read and also access the newsfeed. People of those faiths also need to be considered before anyone interferes with what comes along the newsfeed. Think for a moment - why should Faithlife newsfeed be confined to what is Christian?         

The debate about the scope of material that comes through the newsfeed is healthy and means people are thinking about how they may be impacted by what comes into their homes and offices via their electronic gear. These days its easy for us as committed Christians to get annoyed by politicians and particular news items, but hopefully when we actually meet those with whom we disagree, we will hear them and try to win them over with gentleness and patience. Keep well Paul 

Posts 29102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 12:16 AM

Lee:

We agree on this ... however, let me give you a bit of context:

• my niece and my aunt carried on the name of Anne Marbury (Hutchinson) who was kicked out of Boston Colony for preaching the losing theology (Antinomian Controversy). Obviously we have not forgotten the injustice
  • I am a direct descendant of Rebecca Nourse - executed as a witch by the Salem Colony. Again obviously we have not forgotten the injustice.
  • A high school friend (and table tennis partner) was murdered together with his family for slander still promoted against his parents some 23 years after our community found it to be slander in court.
  • I can list several cases of governmental mistreatment or individual prejudice against Native Americans that family members were party to and outraged by ... and was personally harassed by police in college for dating a person whose skin didn't match mine.

Therefore I feel very strongly about certain American values:

• free press
  • equal standing under the law
  • government independent of religion
  • freedom of religion

So yes, I get annoyed when people try to censor what I can read, try to judge others without actually knowing the people and talking to them about their actual views (e.g. it is possible to be strongly pro-life without believing that secular law is the best way to achieve moral behavior), hide behind their personal religious beliefs when those beliefs lack historical and cultural depth (e.g. being pro-life while ignoring the related issues of euthanasia, death penalty and just war) ... I am personally conservative in a very rural sense but that conservatism is built on a very strong base of freedoms and responsibilities.

Lee:

I assume that you recognized the rhetorical device being used ... one used frequently to evoke the response "of course not" as a way to point out similarity and hence, self recognition.

Posts 286
Roger Dittmar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 5:04 AM

Hear, hear!

Posts 1082
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 6:53 AM

It's discussions like this that make me wonder why FaithLife made the design decision to include news feeds on the Logos homepage.  I suspect they found it was technically simple enough with the tools they were using, and it sounded really neat.  But it has nothing to do with the core function of the software, and has an outsized capacity to create needless outrage.  It's not as if users can't get newsfeeds without FaithLife's help, or that by including the newsfeeds Faithlife will create an all-encompassing computing "ecosystem" so that users will never need to pop out of Logos and use another company's software.  In my last job I lived and died in Microsoft Excel - literally spending 6 to 10 hours a day in it - but I would have been completely baffled had they put a newsfeed feature on the opening screen.

Posts 6588
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 7:50 AM

Maybe the newsfeed can be off by default and when turned on, you have to check which feeds you desire to see.

Lynden Williams Commu

Posts 819
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 7:50 AM

EastTN:

In my last job I lived and died in Microsoft Excel - literally spending 6 to 10 hours a day in it - but I would have been completely baffled had they put a newsfeed feature on the opening screen.

On the other hand, my current job requires me to spend my hours in Microsoft Visual Studio, and they do have a news feed on the home screen.

Posts 1082
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 8:59 AM

Lew Worthington:

EastTN:

In my last job I lived and died in Microsoft Excel - literally spending 6 to 10 hours a day in it - but I would have been completely baffled had they put a newsfeed feature on the opening screen.

On the other hand, my current job requires me to spend my hours in Microsoft Visual Studio, and they do have a news feed on the home screen.

Really?  Interesting.  I suspect there's less potential downside for Microsoft doing that.  It isn't viewed as a "Christian" company, and most of its users probably don't expect it to be faithful to any particular world view.

Posts 1886
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 11:55 AM

I'm sorry that unhelpful content was showing up on your Logos desktop homepage.

I'll briefly summarize what we're doing about it and how it happened.

We're removing Faithlife News from the Logos desktop homepage. While it was disabled by default, many people turned it on not knowing what it was. They thought it was news from Faithlife and about Faithlife, or at least news that Faithlife endorsed.

Faithlife News was an attempt to provide a free Christian news aggregation service, similar to Google News or Apple News. We did select the news sources, but we're merely piping in the RSS feeds from these sources. We're not reviewing the articles and selecting which ones to feature.

We added a feature to the website to allow you to customize which news sources show up for you. This helps to ensure that you're not seeing news from sources you don't value. Unfortunately, that affects only what you see at the website, not the feed that shows up in the software on the homepage.

The homepage should be focused on helping you get into Bible study, and Faithlife News doesn't fit that objective. If you want to continue to use Faithlife News, you'll need to visit the website or choose one of the other methods.

(There's currently a known issue with the site that we're looking into. It stopped updating with the latest news 10 days ago.)

Posts 142
Stephen Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 11:56 AM

Well to be clear, the news feed in Visual Studio is all technical news.

Posts 1082
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 12:09 PM

Stephen Smith:

Well to be clear, the news feed in Visual Studio is all technical news.

That makes sense.  Thanks for clarifying.

Posts 2758
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 12:12 PM

Using it from the web is a pain. You have to click twice to read any article. That's a terrible user experience.

Page 3 of 6 (105 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS