Hillary Clinton on the Home page of Logos

Page 4 of 6 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 104 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 2763
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 12:34 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
The homepage should be focused on helping you get into Bible study, and Faithlife News doesn't fit that objective. If you want to continue to use Faithlife News, you'll need to visit the website or choose one of the other methods.

The alternative option is a pain!

If users currently do not want any news feed there is an option to turn it off in the software, so i honestly do not see what the problem is. Are we going to remove Community Pricing, Pre-Pubs and adverts etc from the drop down option as well?

Customers can simply turn off the options they do not want to see in the software.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 29098
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 12:48 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
We're removing Faithlife News from the Logos desktop homepage.

This is unfortunate. I would have preferred that you expand the service adding in many of the denominational news sites so that the news was more explicitly something one would not find in your normal news sources -- and more explicitly something that one selected the channels relevant to you. I also want a similar channel for the Verbum/liturgical users. Again (remember Dracula?) you are pandering to a radical minority which is not the side of Faithlife I want any association with.

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
 Unfortunately, that affects only what you see at the website, not the feed that shows up in the software on the homepage.

This however is a major shortcoming. Fixing this is a far better solution than the one you have chosen.

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
The homepage should be focused on helping you get into Bible study, and Faithlife News doesn't fit that objective.

This represents a very specific hermeneutic that is not shared by a significant group of your users many of whom have a more social and less individualistic understanding than you original core audience. This, like your over emphasis on language and grammar, betrays your theological roots and make the broader Christian community uncomfortable.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 12:48 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

I'm sorry that unhelpful content was showing up on your Logos desktop homepage.

I'll briefly summarize what we're doing about it and how it happened.

We're removing Faithlife News from the Logos desktop homepage. While it was disabled by default, many people turned it on not knowing what it was. They thought it was news from Faithlife and about Faithlife, or at least news that Faithlife endorsed.

Faithlife News was an attempt to provide a free Christian news aggregation service, similar to Google News or Apple News. We did select the news sources, but we're merely piping in the RSS feeds from these sources. We're not reviewing the articles and selecting which ones to feature.

We added a feature to the website to allow you to customize which news sources show up for you. This helps to ensure that you're not seeing news from sources you don't value. Unfortunately, that affects only what you see at the website, not the feed that shows up in the software on the homepage.

The homepage should be focused on helping you get into Bible study, and Faithlife News doesn't fit that objective. If you want to continue to use Faithlife News, you'll need to visit the website or choose one of the other methods.

(There's currently a known issue with the site that we're looking into. It stopped updating with the latest news 10 days ago.)

I actually think this is sad and extreme.  COMPLETELY REMOVING IT?  I think that instead of completely removing it, if it were better titled (which many of us admitted the title alone did not explain that it wasn't coming from Faithlife.  Specificity seems to be a bit of a challenge for FL (I say that in all love!).  Instead, if it were made clear WHAT it is and give the user control over the feed from the desktop, it would be great.

Just my .02.

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 285
Roger Dittmar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 1:01 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Having Faithlife News on my homepage was never an issue of concern for me.  I could control whether it was there, or not. The decision to remove the option completely is quite disturbing. 

Posts 285
Roger Dittmar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 1:08 PM

MJ. Smith:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

This is unfortunate. I would have preferred that you expand the service adding in many of the denominational news sites so that the news was more explicitly something one would not find in your normal news sources -- and more explicitly something that one selected the channels relevant to you. I also want a similar channel for the Verbum/liturgical users.

Yes

Posts 1
Charles A. Wood | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 1:35 PM

I totally agree.  Hillary Clinton is reprehensible, morally corrupt, voraciously self serving, etc.

She seeks power to serve her own interests, continuously lies, and on numerous occasions has violated the public trust to benefit herself and her worthless husband. 

Posts 29098
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 1:50 PM

Charles A. Wood:

I totally agree.  <rest censored>

Why deliberately flaunt the rules and taunt those who disagree with you on political, ethical and factual grounds?

Since this is your first post, I welcome you to the forums, ask you to read the guidelines Forum Guidelines, and remind you that these forums are for the discussion of software. However, Logos does provide a forum http://www.christiandiscourse.com/ intended to allow posts such as this.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 932
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 1:53 PM

Removing Faithlife News is an excellent decision. Great companies devote themselves to what they can be the best at. This was sideways energy.

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 2:14 PM

MJ. Smith:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

This is unfortunate.

I'm with MJ on this one. There are a number of things here that I find somewhat disturbing. 

1. A furious reaction from users of one political and theological stripe has provoked a response from Faithlife that sets a worrying precedent. I sincerely hope that Faithlife will not react in this way every time one political/theological group in the user base starts flexing its muscles. 
  2. There are many evangelicals in the rest of the world (which is actually rather larger than the USA) who are of more left-wing persuasions. It is a false assumption that all evangelicals, let alone all Christians, have to be Conservative in their politics. 
  3. Some of the opinions expressed in this thread belong, not here, but at ChristianDiscourse.com. They are linking theology and politics in a way that (I think) contravenes the Forum guidelines. I would have preferred Faithlife to point that out and ask them to take the discussion elsewhere. 
  4. I am from Faithlife's traditional evangelical user base, and as a non-American don't envy any of you the choice you have to make between candidates I wouldn't want to have to choose between. Anything that is seeking to inform voters has to be helpful. I noticed that Christianity Today this week published a series of pieces from Christians advocating for each of the candidates. That, to me, was very helpful.
  5. If Faithlife were to publish something advocating for Donald Trump, I can assure you that large numbers of non-American customers would be cancelling their pre-pubs (which seems to be the protest of choice around here nowadays). 
  6. Some of the personal anti-Hillary vitriol in this thread is pretty disturbing, and I would hate any of my non-Christian friends this side of the Atlantic to see some of it. She is a fallen human being, as are all the other candidates. They just manifest that brokenness and fallenness in different ways.

EDIT: MJ posted her response while I was typing mine. I think she probably said it much better. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 2:53 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

The homepage should be focused on helping you get into Bible study, and Faithlife News doesn't fit that objective.

I agree. The number one Forum Guideline  is:  1. Please keep your discussions focused on Logos Bible Software: : our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc.

If that is true for the forum it certainly should be true for the software.

edited to fix link and add rest of #1

Posts 10954
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 3:49 PM

Well, Robert, I guess talking about books is out, right?

Actually, I suspect the guy that left Logos, didn't code the selection part, or too messy .... and Logos is under the gun to produce more NOW features (plus some they already sold).

So, kill the News, and tell folks to study their Bible (from the Shades of Gray team, remember ... I assume on Faithlife software).

Actually, I like Hillary ... I know, I know ... we Christians have to out the few sinners we're able to locate.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 6588
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 4:07 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

I'm sorry that unhelpful content was showing up on your Logos desktop homepage.

I'll briefly summarize what we're doing about it and how it happened.

We're removing Faithlife News from the Logos desktop homepage. While it was disabled by default, many people turned it on not knowing what it was.

Another non-american chiming in. Leave the news feed on the homepage. Make it easier for the user to choose what shows up there from the software. In another update disable it for everyone if need be, with a popup notifying the faithful of what was done, and how to turn it on and configure it from Preferences.

Some think Logos should not be selling resources from several denominations, because its adherents are not Christians. Bob has said some have even complained that about the Dictionary being in Logos.

We will never please everyone. Give your customers a choice. Some want it, others don't. Let the user choose.

Don't touch my news feed.

Lynden Williams Commu

Posts 6588
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 4:08 PM

I want you to add more denominational news feed not less. I am with MJ on this one.

Lynden Williams Commu

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 4:10 PM

Denise:

Well, Robert, I guess talking about books is out, right?

That is funny  Wink - I always enjoy your humor. I had to edit the link which somehow went bad and added the rest of the #1 text.

Perhaps they can put the news on christiandiscourse.com

And, yes, I wanted Dracula published by Logos.

Posts 285
Roger Dittmar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 6:32 PM

Lynden Williams:

It's been touched.

Faithlife News is no longer on the homepage and the selection option has been removed, also.

Posts 142
Stephen Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 6:44 PM

I'm apathetic to the removal.  But I will say that anyone who thinks it is being removed because article was for Hillary is making a big assumption.  If article was pro Trump and someone drew attention to it I suspect the reaction would have been the same. 

agree with those who would have thought the news would have been about the company etc given the name of it. 

Posts 6588
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 7:32 PM

Roger Dittmar:

Lynden Williams:

It's been touched.

Faithlife News is no longer on the homepage and the selection option has been removed, also.

Disappointed. Hope it comes back.

I study the Bible to not only know what happened back then, but how does it apply to people today. How do world events fit in with scripture, what are other believers doing around the world. The news feed served this purpose.

I can think of several things that other Christians do, or not do that I believe are contrary to scripture. Should their news feed be banned because I disagree with them?

Give the user the choice to choose some, all or none at all.

Lynden Williams Commu

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 7:46 PM

Is Faithlife News still functioning correctly? I've noticed the RSS feed hasn't been updating for me.

It seems to have gone down shortly after the Hillary post made it to the Logos Desktop home page keeping it "stuck" there until the Faithlife News feed refreshes.

Just wondering if this feature is even sticking around or getting pulled completely.

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 1886
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 7:53 PM

Nathan Parker:

Is Faithlife News still functioning correctly? I've noticed the RSS feed hasn't been updating for me.

No. It stopped updating 10 days ago. We're looking into it.

Nathan Parker:

Just wondering if this feature is even sticking around or getting pulled completely.

We're evaluating what to do with it and how important fixing it is relative to other priorities. It's currently pretty low on the list. If you'd like to advocate for it, I'd encourage you to request it via UserVoice.

Posts 6588
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 7:59 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
We're evaluating what to do with it and how important fixing it is relative to other priorities. It's currently pretty low on the list. If you'd like to advocate for it, I'd encourage you to request it via UserVoice.

Done. Vote for News Feed on Uservoice.

Lynden Williams Commu

Page 4 of 6 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS