'New Tab' Voted Longest Surviving Bizarre Feature in Logos

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 10330
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 22 2016 11:57 AM

I made that up. And if the feature has been fixed in 7.0128 or 7.143 (I made that up also), please ignore. Or just ignore.

--

I've watched New Tab now, for almost 7 years. It's a feature that could be one of Logos' best. Unfortunately, not.

Looking at mine (NASB previous tab, from Cynthia's issue still in place):

- Some big covers on the left; some little ones on the right. They seem to overlap, though neither in any apparent order. No header as a clue.

- The left group starts with some Logos tools, but then the tools dribble down, to include a random passage guide, an old word study, highlighting, and near the bottom, a sense lexicon.  The irony is that none of the old BWS and passage guides are in my Guides section ... deleted long ago.

- The left-panel has a scrollbar to the far-right; the right panel doesn't. Since the right list exceeds the left list, you literally can't select any below the viewable list.

- On the larger covers side (left) the titling varies ... some an abbrieviation, others the long-title (abbreviated).  Or a commentary with a series name.

- I thought the resources were parallel, but the NASB is said to be paralleled by 'Age of the Sages' ... a monograph and totally unrelated. Who knows.

--

I say it could be one of the best, if it had a text box to pull up possible resources to add (one or more). But not.

What are we shooting for .... Logos9?

EDIT: Actually the vote for longest bizarre feature was close. The runner-up was the scroll-bar tracks. That one failed within minutes of L4's release, with everyone adviced to turn it off. It's like detectives walking all over the tracks they're trying to analyze.  Kindle's tracks demo the correct approach ... displays the most recent.

Posts 275
Greg F | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 12:49 PM

Agreed, I've never been able to understand how and why the new tab button functions the way that it does.

Posts 27040
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 2:05 PM

TIP of the day: New Tab Panel

Resources listed when opening new tabs

As for the wear marks and search marks, I actually like them but wish they could be cleared at the resource level.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 25109
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 2:37 PM

Denise:

- Some big covers on the left; some little ones on the right. They seem to overlap, though neither in any apparent order. No header as a clue.

- The left group starts with some Logos tools, but then the tools dribble down, to include a random passage guide, an old word study, highlighting, and near the bottom, a sense lexicon.

Next to ESV I get what appears to be recently used/opened panels on the left, then a list of 'parallel' bibles (no surprises)

Next to the Quran (September preview) I get the same covers on the left, then a list of Sacred Books from the other September 'Now' previews.

Next to Factbook I get the same covers on the left, then a list of Tools (not all)/Documents/Guides

Next to Info (in its unique tile) there is one column listing Lookup/Social/Passage tools that weren't listed next to Factbook.

TC, Passage Analysis, Highlighting and Ask the Author were not listed anywhere, along with two others that I don't miss!

There is some method, but slightly quirky.

BTW, this is the most I've ever used the 'New tab'!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 10330
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 2:52 PM

Well, having read MJ's reference > Mary Ellen, I think the UI bizarre-ity vote count should be kicked up a notch. I didn't know it doesn't 'new tab' relative to the tab you're in. 

I notice the accessibility to the right side of the panel varies in everyone's screen shots. In my layout only the top is accessible, even with the left fully scrolled.

I'm happy we were able to locate Dr Livingston (MJ, as a user of the scroll tracks).

Posts 27040
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 2:59 PM

Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 4:02 PM

Denise:

I made that up. And if the feature has been fixed in 7.0128 or 7.143 (I made that up also), please ignore. Or just ignore.

--

I've watched New Tab now, for almost 7 years. It's a feature that could be one of Logos' best. Unfortunately, not.

- The left group starts with some Logos tools, but then the tools dribble down, to include a random passage guide, an old word study, highlighting, and near the bottom, a sense lexicon.  The irony is that none of the old BWS and passage guides are in my Guides section ... deleted long ago.

- The left-panel has a scrollbar to the far-right; the right panel doesn't. Since the right list exceeds the left list, you literally can't select any below the viewable list.

- On the larger covers side (left) the titling varies ... some an abbrieviation, others the long-title (abbreviated).  Or a commentary with a series name.

- I thought the resources were parallel, but the NASB is said to be paralleled by 'Age of the Sages' ... a monograph and totally unrelated. Who knows.

--

I say it could be one of the best, if it had a text box to pull up possible resources to add (one or more). But not.

What are we shooting for .... Logos9?

EDIT: Actually the vote for longest bizarre feature was close. The runner-up was the scroll-bar tracks. That one failed within minutes of L4's release, with everyone adviced to turn it off. It's like detectives walking all over the tracks they're trying to analyze.  Kindle's tracks demo the correct approach ... displays the most recent.

DENISE!

The majority of the time you either

A.  Speak computer jargon that is WAAAAY too far over my head or

B. Talk about stuff that is so far out there for me (in a good way Big Smile) that I just ask myself..."WHAT THE HECK IS THE QUESTION...NEVER MIND THE ANSWER!

This post...it had me chuckling (I wonder if that was even your intent.) Wink

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 10330
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 4:54 PM

Well, Cynthia, rumor has it, I'm a bot. 

And admittedly I'm not sure why I get so amused.

I can't figure out, if Logos is trying to sell to their existing base ('More features!!! Locate words that no one knows what they mean!!'). Or potential new customers ('Sure our software isn't easy, but watching 57 videos, you'll love it!'

Well, at least next week, my 4th copy of Philo will be shipping!! And tagged too!

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 4:57 PM

Thank you!  I just had a full belly laugh! Big Smile

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS