Page 3 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 54 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2016 10:53 PM

Yes...but it will also show Resources in the future that will come new from Logos Now. These have to be tagged as LogosNow.

Posts 158
Paul L. White | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 22 2016 8:13 PM

I live in Texas and (tipping the cowboy hat) I'd never want *any* resources on my computer that I didn't examine first-hand First, outside of my computer, and approve before they downloaded.  That's even for temporary resources.

I'm ornery enough to not want to be told what is possibly a good resource, and what isn't, and have it force fed to my computer.  I want to control my own machine and its contents.

When I was a boy, my Dad was very much against salespeople appearing at our doorstep.  They gave us a wide berth.

So having the option to say "no" to automatic preview downloads would be a must for me if I were to ever consider Logos Now.  For those who want them, having the option to say "yes" would, of course, be to their liking.

Salute!  And another tip of the cowboy hat.

Paul L. White

Satisfied Logos User since 1.6

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2017 9:00 AM

What is the current status of this issue?  I just finally decided last week to give LN a try and thought it would be a good idea to take a look at the LN Forum.  After reading through this thread, I guess I should have checked the forum before joining, because I definitely don't want to deal with the automatic downloading and indexing of large volumes of resources without having any user control options available.  Bad enough if done on just one fairly new computer, but I work from three computers and two have standard hard drives.  Lack of download and indexing control is not an option I want to deal with.

I still have most of the 30 day period left to cancel my subscription so I'm not overly concerned at the moment, but would like to know where this stands.

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2017 8:36 AM

Rick Ausdahl:

What is the current status of this issue?  I just finally decided last week to give LN a try and thought it would be a good idea to take a look at the LN Forum.  After reading through this thread, I guess I should have checked the forum before joining, because I definitely don't want to deal with the automatic downloading and indexing of large volumes of resources without having any user control options available.  Bad enough if done on just one fairly new computer, but I work from three computers and two have standard hard drives.  Lack of download and indexing control is not an option I want to deal with.

I still have most of the 30 day period left to cancel my subscription so I'm not overly concerned at the moment, but would like to know where this stands.

Bump.

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2017 8:41 AM

This is something about which I've been unaware, Rick, and I've subscribed to LN since L7 was released. It hasn't created any adverse issues for me.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2017 9:13 AM

Having said that, however, I would prefer not to have temporary items in my library for which I've not asked. Maybe the Logos indexer wouldn't work so much.

Posts 3220
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2017 9:22 AM

Rick Ausdahl:

Nothing has changed.

The best you can do for now is to go into settings, and change the "Download between" times to happen when you are not using your computers, or completely turn off automatic downloads.

Some resources might not seem practical or useful, but I have actually benefitted from unexpectedly finding very useful search results in preview resources!

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2017 9:25 AM

Bill Moore:

This is something about which I've been unaware, Rick, and I've subscribed to LN since L7 was released. It hasn't created any adverse issues for me.

Thanks for the feedback, Bill.  It's encouraging, but leaves me a bit puzzled.  The OP's first post was in October (after L7 was released), and when Bradley (from Faithlife) responded, he didn't deny it was happening--only asked how people would like to see it handled.  I don't see any decision/resolution ever posted after Bradley's response though, so it left me wondering about the status.

Just out of curiosity--are you using largish SSDs on fairly new computers?  I ask because while that won't address the complaint some people have with library clutter, it would reduce the performance issue caused by indexing as well as any concern about disk space.  In my case, the SSD in my newest laptop is only 256GB, so while I'm not too affected by indexing performance, I do have to watch disk space.  And while I have plenty of disk space on my other laptop (now 6 yrs old) and my desktop (4 yrs old), those machines are obviously slower due to their older/slower CPUs, but the bigger performance issue is that they are running HDDs which take much longer for indexing.

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2017 9:31 AM

That's a good point about disk drives, Rick. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro with a 256GB SSD plus a Transcend 128GB JetDrive Lite storage expansion card for photos and music. For HDD's, the indexing is even more of an annoyance.

The Logos indexer goes at it a lot, it seems, on my computer--too much, in my opinion.

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2017 9:33 AM

PetahChristian:

Rick Ausdahl:

Nothing has changed.

The best you can do for now is to go into settings, and change the "Download between" times to happen when you are not using your computers, or completely turn off automatic downloads.

Some resources might not seem practical or useful, but I have actually benefitted from unexpectedly finding very useful search results in preview resources!

Thanks, Petah.  So I take it you still see large numbers of these resources.  I do have automatic downloads turned off on my computer so I do have some control.  Unfortunately (at least as far as I'm aware), when notified that downloads are available, there's no way to tell what will be included in the download (nor the size of it), and there's no way to say "yes" to updates for resources I own, but say "no" to the other stuff.

In any case, thank you for the input.

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2017 9:42 AM

Bill Moore:

That's a good point about disk drives, Rick. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro with a 256GB SSD plus a Transcend 128GB JetDrive Lite storage expansion card for photos and music. For HDD's, the indexing is even more of an annoyance.

The Logos indexer goes at it a lot, it seems, on my computer--too much, in my opinion.

Thanks again, Bill!  Many times when I open Logos, I may only have 30 minutes or so available and really don't want performance affected by indexing.  Maybe it wouldn't feel like such a hit if I could leave Logos up and running on the older laptop and desktop and just schedule the downloads to run when I'm not using them, but to my knowledge, I can't (or at least shouldn't) have Logos up and running on three machines at the same time.  That might get me some attention from Faithlife I don't want.  Wink

Posts 3220
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2017 10:07 AM

Rick Ausdahl:
to my knowledge, I can't (or at least shouldn't) have Logos up and running on three machines at the same time.

I often leave Logos open on my desktop, but might use a phone or tablet to lookup something on the mobile app. Unless someone other than you was using a different Logos computer at the same time, I believe you're fine.

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2017 10:28 AM

Rick Ausdahl:
Maybe it wouldn't feel like such a hit if I could leave Logos up and running on the older laptop and desktop and just schedule the downloads to run when I'm not using them, but to my knowledge, I can't (or at least shouldn't) have Logos up and running on three machines at the same time.  That might get me some attention from Faithlife I don't want. 

That shouldn't be a problem if they are all your computers.  Faithlife allows for that.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2017 11:21 AM

Rick Ausdahl:
Maybe it wouldn't feel like such a hit if I could leave Logos up and running on the older laptop and desktop and just schedule the downloads to run when I'm not using them, but to my knowledge, I can't (or at least shouldn't) have Logos up and running on three machines at the same time.  That might get me some attention from Faithlife I don't want.  Wink

Thankful can have Logos 7 and Verbum 7 open at the same on three of my computers while typically use one at a time.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2017 3:32 PM

Thank you Petah, Todd, and Keep Smiling 4 Jesus!  That's good news!  I've used the software since the Libronix days and always thought it would be an issue.

Page 3 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS