Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 928
Matthew | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 2 2016 5:04 PM

I noticed that although I have the speaker icon where the app will pronounce a Greek word when I do a word study, this is not the case with Hebrew. Is this the expected behavior? When I am on the desktop word studies pronounce either, so it seemed odd that Greek works on mobile but not Hebrew. Running app version  5.6.2 and Android 6. Thanks.

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 12:16 PM

Which exact word (and resource) did you use to get the Hebrew word? Here's what I'm seeing:

Posts 928
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 1:30 PM

Kevin Byford (Faithlife):
Which exact... resource

By scrolling down through my library, it looks like the most recent Hebrew text I had open was:

Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia: with Werkgroep Informatica, Vrije Universiteit Morphology

LLS:WIVUMORPH
2012-10-12T01:14:41Z
WIVUMORPH.logos4

Kevin Byford (Faithlife):
Which exact word

When I opened the above resource back up, it was open to Psalm 119:2-10, which contains דֶּרֶך twice, once in verse 3 and once in verse 5. I cannot say with 100% accuracy which of the two instances I had used to launch the word study. However, using Logos 7 on Windows 10 I can confirm that I do have the speaker/pronunciation icon in the word study when launching from the occurrence in verse 5. I just used that exact word to launch the word study in the Android app and got the same result I posted above without the icon.

Having checked all that, I then opened the following resource to the same word and was consistently able to generate the icon in the word study as shown in your post:

Lexham Hebrew Bible

LLS:LHB
2016-05-04T18:37:55Z
LHB.logos4

I did this multiple times with each of the two resources, and I can consistently reproduce the results. Launching from one resource gives me the option to pronounce the word, but launching from the other does not. I then checked with this one and was successful in the results as well:

The Lexham Hebrew-English Interlinear Bible

LLS:1.0.199
2016-09-06T23:08:33Z
FHHEBINT.logos4

However, here is another resource that appears NOT to work when doing the same thing:

The Hebrew Bible: Andersen-Forbes Analyzed Text

LLS:1.0.196
2014-10-17T23:28:40Z
AFHEB10.logos4

In summary, I have two Hebrew Bibles where it works, and two Hebrew Bibles where it does not. For the resources where it does not work, I also tried several other words at random and was also unable to get get a pronunciation option. There is one more relevant piece of information here. Look at your screenshot and then look at mine. When I launch the word study from either of the two Bibles where I do not get an option to pronounce, the app only defines דֶּרֶך as "way" in the first line under the definition, but when I launch the word study from the other two Bibles where I do get the option to pronounce, I have the more complete definition shown in your screenshot of "way, road, distance, journey; manner, custom, behavior."

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 5:11 PM

Matthew:
In summary, I have two Hebrew Bibles where it works, and two Hebrew Bibles where it does not.

I can verify this, and what is strange is the iOS and Android mobile apps act differently. With iOS when using all of the resources you mention, the word in verse 5 always has a pronunciation, but never the one in verse 3. I'll write up a case.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS