Optimizing Logos for speed - collected tips

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 48
Cromwell | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 3 2016 10:07 AM

I love Logos.  I love the improvements Logos 7 has brought.  But I hate the way it can be slow to load up or can hang for a few seconds when performing some function when open.

Occasionally there are specific speed tips on the forums e.g. recently on deleting past layouts.

Can anyone give me/ point me to where there are collected tips on optimizing Logos for speed both on loading up and functioning when open?  (I'm not talking "buy and install an SSD", I use Logos on more than one device and slowness occurs both with and without SSD).

Any help welcomed!

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 6:06 AM

You may find the information on this wiki page helpful. I would be interested in knowing what the specs of the machines you are experiencing "slowness" on. It may also be helpful to have some examples of what is functioning slowly (i.e. startup time. loading layouts, etc)

I know you are not interested in discussing SSD's, but I can tell you that on both my desktop and laptop, swapping my standard HD for an SSD made a tremendous difference in the performance of Logos, and all of my other software.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2016 2:34 PM

Fredc:
You may find the information on this wiki page helpful.

Another Logos wiki page with many Tips => Getting Started with Logos

Simple idea of having less open tends to be more responsive, which is reflected in blog article => https://blog.logos.com/2016/10/make-logos-screen-look-like-pros/

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 284
Claude Brown Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 31 2016 7:17 PM

I still have a problem with the do less with Logos and it will respond better solution.

Posts 1109
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 31 2016 10:38 PM

Cromwell

Welcome to the forum.

Logos is a highly resource intensive program, so first the speed of your CPU, amount of Ram memory, and the type/speed of your graphics card are important. more is always better.

Also with Logos the number of resources you have, for example I have 5,400 resources which uses about 40gb on my pcie x4 SSD. But my CPU has 4 cores and with 16GB ram my system is almost never slow no matter what I do. 

A full index of my Library does take about two hours now, but on my old Asus i3 dual core CPU with 8GB ram and a pci x2 SSD the same index took close to 20 hours.

All this to say that the type system you have is very important to the performance of Logos.

It would be helpful for anyone to know what the specs of your computer are. 

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 1 2016 12:33 AM

Cromwell:
Can anyone give me/ point me to where there are collected tips on optimizing Logos for speed both on loading up and functioning when open?  (I'm not talking "buy and install an SSD", I use Logos on more than one device and slowness occurs both with and without SSD).

My tips on usage would be:

1. Limit the number of complex visual filters, particularly those applied to every resource.
  2. Limit the number of layouts, particularly those on the right-hand side of the layouts menu.
  3. Limit the number of very complex collections.
  4. Try not to link panels that constantly update (e.g. Guides, Text Comparison, etc.) to other resources.
  5. If there are sections in Guides that you don't use, either collapse them or create a custom Guide Template that excludes them.
  6. Only open resources/tools when you need them (and close them when you're no longer using them). Layouts with 20+ resources in background tabs, all intricately linked will inevitably be slower than a lightweight layout of the four or five resources you'll actually using at the moment.

And on hardware:

1. An SSD will make a big difference.
  2. I'd recommend a minimum of 4GB RAM, but 8GB is much better.
Posts 48
Cromwell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 5 2017 3:58 PM

An extremely belated thank you to all who helped me on this thread.  I particularly appreciated Mark's simple list as I don't want to have a fast Logos but not use its features.  The tips plus the Ngen change have been two significant steps up in speed.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS