Logos on eInk/eReader Device

Page 5 of 7 (130 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next >
This post has 129 Replies | 15 Followers

Posts 67
Paulo Bechara | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2016 7:50 AM

is it possible to root the c67ml carta 2 with a mac?

Posts 67
Paulo Bechara | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2016 7:52 AM

does it accept 128gb sd card? If not, what is the maximum capacity?

thanks

Posts 113
Donnie Vick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2016 8:53 AM

Me too!

Posts 427
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2016 10:21 AM

Paulo Bechara:

does it accept 128gb sd card? If not, what is the maximum capacity?

thanks

The manual says that the C67 can accept a 32 GB sd card. I have tried a 64 GB card and it worked with no problems. I don't know about a 128 GB card.  

As far as rooting with a Mac goes, I don't know. I have a Mac, but also run Windows in VMWare Fusion on my Mac - so I use Windows for stuff like this because most rooting procedures are (unfortunately) designed for Windows or Linux.  There are apk files like Root Master or Kingo Root that you can install on the C67 and see if they will root the device. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. But going that route comes with a slight risk of getting malware or some other app installed as well. I actually used Root Master to root my C67 and it worked fine. The copy I had didn't have malware in it. I'll see if I still have it. You can also check with the Onyx Boox forum at mobileread.com. People there can give you some helpful tips.  

Posts 67
Paulo Bechara | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2016 10:40 AM

Mark, thanks very much for your help. I will wait for you reply on the file you might still have.

Posts 427
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2016 1:00 PM

Paulo Bechara:

Mark, thanks very much for your help. I will wait for you reply on the file you might still have.

In case you don't know this already - rooting may void your warranty for your device. If you are okay with that, read on. If not, stop right here. 

Here is the Root Master apk. The one I had, I could not find. I believe this is the same one. It's partly in Indonesian and partly in English. Install the apk. Then open the app. Once it's ready, click the middle button "mulai root". A few things will happen and then you'll be presented with two buttons to choose from. Click the right button (it should say "root" amid the other non-English words). It may offer you the same choice one more time. Then, if all goes well, you should see "Root!" among other words. You can then close the app.

Once you have root, you should install superuser or SuperSU next. You can get either free from Google Play Store. Then you should be good to go.  

Once you know you have root, and superuser or SuperSU is working properly, uninstall the Root Master app. 

If Root Master does not work for you, I'll see what other options I can think of.

Posts 124
Mark Ziebold | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2016 1:25 PM

I would purchase a Logos e-reader or purchase one manufactured by a different company if it had access to my library and was easy on the eyes like the kindle.  

Posts 2068
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2016 2:31 PM

Mark Ziebold:
I would purchase a Logos e-reader

Yes, so would I

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2016 3:37 PM

Mark:

Mark Ziebold:

Yes, so would I

Faithlife is not a hardware company and as far as I know there are no plans for it to enter the E-Ink business.

Posts 3711
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2016 4:10 PM

Kevin Byford (Faithlife):
Faithlife is not a hardware company and as far as know there are no plans for it to enter the E-Ink business.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 427
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2016 4:30 PM

Speaking of hardware...

Another e-ink option has found its way into my hands (with some help from my gadget budget, now depleted for the year). It's the Boyue T63. It has a 6 inch display, 300 dpi, and a microSD card slot. No headphone jack or audio capability. It has physical page turn buttons (they don't work with Logos, sorry). It runs Android 4.2.2. It has 8GB of internal storage. Similar in a lot of ways to the Onyx C67, but has a more refined look and feel. One big advantage: it has a 1 GB partition for user-installed apps. You won't need Link2SD with this one. One disadvantage: it does not have Google Play Store pre-installed. You'd have to root the device to do that (easy) or just install the Amazon App Store without needing to root. It runs Verbum very well. Very good battery life. Overall, I like it more than the Onyx C67, though the Onyx is very good. It can be bought through Banggood (from Hong Kong). Takes about two weeks for shipping. If the T63 continues to work well, I may decide to sell the Onyx C67. We'll see. 

I know that Logos/Verbum will no longer support anything < Android 4.3 after February 1, but Logos/Verbum should continue to work on these E-Ink devices for some time to come. A few resources may not work so well as they are upgraded, though. But the T63 is still a great way for me to read eBooks in general, and will be regardless of what happens with Logos/Verbum. 

I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Not every Android e-ink device can run Logos/Verbum. Besides the one featured at the beginning of this thread, only the Onyx C67 and the Boyue T61, T62 & T63 (and their rebranded clones on Icarus, etc.) can run Logos well (as far as I know, based on comments from various people). There are other Android e-ink devices out there, but you'd be taking a risk in buying one before finding out if someone else has been able to install and run Logos on it.  

Posts 2068
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2016 4:42 PM

Faithlife is not a hardware company and as far as I know there are no plans for it to enter the E-Ink business.

I know that Kevin.  But Microsoft was not a hardware company either...and they made a business decision...

It is something to keep in the back of the mind.  I am not for FL becoming a hardware company.  But if they felt there was a market (and I realize the market would be too small), then I would be interested.  I am not holding my breath.  I highly doubt it would be profitable at this point.

Posts 2624
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2016 7:30 PM

That's what outsourcing is good for. Onyx has produced branded deviced for other non hardware companies before.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2016 9:42 PM

Mark:

I know that Kevin.  But Microsoft was not a hardware company either...and they made a business decision...

It is something to keep in the back of the mind.  I am not for FL becoming a hardware company.  But if they felt there was a market (and I realize the market would be too small), then I would be interested.  I am not holding my breath.  I highly doubt it would be profitable at this point.

Mark,

I understand your point, but (in my opinion) Microsoft made one of the worst business decisions in the history of computing by thinking they could be a hardware company, which resulted in many billions of dollars of losses year over year. The only reason the company survived at all was their Windows vendor lock-in operating system licensing stranglehold.

That said, I understand what you meant (MS is just a bad example).

In short, I'm simply stating how things currently are as far as I know, with the goal of sharing the information I have. Currently, I don't believe it's in the back of anyone's mind here at Faithlife to become a hardware company or supplier of E-Ink devices. If something changes I'm sure you'll be among the first to know, but longing and hoping in vain can lead to great disappointment.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2016 11:02 PM

Mark:

Mark Ziebold:

Yes, so would I

Perhaps dream could be partnership of Faithlife (FL) with hardware vendor(s) for "co-branded" device (or one with FL apps preloaded) so FL buys a number of devices for internal use (e.g. development) while partner handles manufacturing along with hardware inventory (so FL avoids risk of unsold hardware).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2016 11:37 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Mark:

Mark Ziebold:

Yes, so would I

Perhaps dream could be partnership of Faithlife (FL) with hardware vendor(s) for "co-branded" device (or one with FL apps preloaded) so FL buys a number of devices for internal use (e.g. development) while partner handles manufacturing along with hardware inventory (so FL avoids risk of unsold hardware).

Keep Smiling Smile

KS4J,

Please see my previous post. False dreams can become nightmares when reality kicks in.

Posts 13407
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2016 4:19 AM

If you have very big pockets, the massive 13.3" Android e-reader from Good e-Reader will be offering a firmware upgrade to Android 5.0 shortly after release (probably in the next few months).

Posts 2068
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2016 4:42 AM

Thanks Kevin

Posts 427
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2016 6:33 AM

Mark Barnes:

If you have very big pockets, the massive 13.3" Android e-reader from Good e-Reader will be offering a firmware upgrade to Android 5.0 shortly after release (probably in the next few months).

But can it run Logos? There are several large E-Ink devices that, if you install Logos on them, all you get is a black screen when you open a resource. I'd want to know if it can run Logos before spending that much money on it. Besides, the 4 GB of internal storage is a bit cramped.  Otherwise, it has potential.  5.0 would be nice.  

I wish there was a way to tell if a device could run Logos without trial-and-error!

Posts 8648
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2016 6:56 AM

Yes Mark, it can run Logos.  That's the point of it, to run the Android ecosystem with an e-ink screen.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Page 5 of 7 (130 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > | RSS