Help, please Introduce me to the Background of Surveys

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 8 2016 1:31 PM

I need help understanding the following: Introductions, Backgrounds, Surveys - what are they exactly/how are they different from each (if they're not the same)? And maybe some not-too-technical recommendations for both the OT and NT as well? Thanks in advance!

Posts 26800
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 8 2016 2:31 PM

Yasmin Stephen:
what are they exactly/how are they different from each

It varies from author to author and publisher to publisher but my rough guess is:

• introduction - written for someone unfamiliar with the material
  • background - focus on the parallel written materials and culture rather than on the text
  • survey - a high-level view for a particular take on the material; audience may or may not be beginners

A decent set in Logos:

• Drane, John William. Introducing the New Testament. Completely rev. and updated. Oxford: Lion Publishing plc, 2000.
  • Drane, John William. Introducing the Old Testament. Completely rev. and updated. Oxford: Lion Publishing plc, 2000.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 8 2016 3:11 PM

Thanks MJ., this is very helpful.

Posts 10582
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 4:33 AM

MJ. Smith:
A decent set in Logos:

Another good resource

Geisler, Norman L., and William E. Nix. A General Introduction to the Bible. Rev. and expanded. Chicago: Moody Press, 1986.

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 6:43 AM

MJ. Smith:

• background - focus on the parallel written materials and culture rather than on the text
  • survey - a high-level view for a particular take on the material; audience may or may not be beginners

I agree with MJ. Another way of looking at it (in very general terms) would be:

• Introduction: Read this before you read the text, and it will help you put the text in context.
  • Background: Read this as you read the text, and it will fill in some blanks.
  • Survey: Read this instead of reading the text, and it will give you a summary.

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 7:57 AM

Jack Caviness:

MJ. Smith:
A decent set in Logos:

Another good resource

Geisler, Norman L., and William E. Nix. A General Introduction to the Bible. Rev. and expanded. Chicago: Moody Press, 1986.

Thank you - this one I have!

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 7:58 AM

Mark Barnes:

• Introduction: Read this before you read the text, and it will help you put the text in context.
  • Survey: Read this instead of reading the text, and it will give you a summary.

Thanks - this is a good complement to MJ.'s post because it helps me understand at what stage in my study they would come into play.

Posts 8977
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 11:19 AM

Mark Barnes:

This is not new to me but I love the simplicity of how you framed it. Thanks.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 18 2016 8:45 AM

Mark Barnes:

MJ. Smith:

Mark, the explanation of this is fantastic!

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 18 2016 10:34 AM

Mark Barnes:

Jumping on the bandwagon - this is concise, illustrative, and effective. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS