Suggestion: Save Last Width Selected for a Resource’s Table of Contents Pane

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 155
Willie | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 17 2016 8:57 PM

I’ve recently submitted the following UserVoice suggestion.  If you agree with this suggestion, please consider clicking on the link and supporting the idea with your UserVoice vote.

After a User Adjusts the Width of a Table of Contents Pane, Allow the Program to Save that Setting for that Particular Resource   https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-7/suggestions/16664737-after-a-user-adjusts-the-width-of-a-table-of-conte

Within either the Reader View mode or a wide single tiled layout, a resource’s Table of Contents (TOC) Pane is useful not only for its informational and navigational benefits but because by expanding the TOC Pane to the right a user can narrow a resource’s lines of text in the main part of the panel to a more comfortable reading width.  Unfortunately, after adjusting a TOC Pane’s width, if a user closes and then reopens the Reading View mode or the same single tiled layout, the resource’s TOC Pane reverts back to its narrow default width.

I suggest once a user has adjusted the TOC Pane’s width for a particular resource within either the Reader View mode or a single tiled layout, the program automatically save that position so that the next time the resource is opened, its TOC Pane will open to the last width selected.  The last width selected would become the TOC Pane’s default width for that resource until the user readjusts it.

I further suggest the TOC Pane be made easier to adjust.  Currently, a user places the cursor on the TOC Pane’s right edge, left clicks with the mouse, and then either drags the edge to the right or uses the keyboard arrow keys to control the TOC Pane’s width.  The first two steps of this process (resting the cursor on the pane’s edge and left clicking the mouse) require slow and very careful mouse movements.  As an alternative, I propose adding an optional keyboard shortcut key to enable TOC Pane adjustment.  This would work well with the subsequent use of the keyboard arrow keys to resize the pane.

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 18 2016 1:08 AM

Willie, I use layouts to save windows relative positions and the sort of things you described here. Have you tried it? If you have, why is it not suitable for your purposes?

Posts 155
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 18 2016 2:45 PM

Francis:

Willie, I use layouts to save windows relative positions and the sort of things you described here. Have you tried it? If you have, why is it not suitable for your purposes?

Hi Francis,

Since my suggestion primarily pertains to the Reading View mode, I will use that as an example.  I use many two tiled layouts with each tile taking up half the screen.  Within one of the tiles, let’s say I open six resources.  I then select “show reading view”.  Only one resource at a time will be displayed but all six resources will be available by clicking on their tab within Reading View.  The default width of each resource’s TOC Pane will be about five inches.  I adjust this to about eight and one half inches for Bibles.  For everything else, I normally adjust it to between seven and seven and one half inches.  In this example, since six resources are available, that’s six TOC Panes to adjust.  (No problem so far) 

If I turn off Reading View, remain in the same layout, and then return to Reading View, my customized widths remain the same, but if I save the layout, close it, return to the same layout, and select “show reading view”, the TOC Pane for each of the six resources will be displayed in the original default width of about five inches.  At that point, I routinely have to resize each one again.  This is what I’m trying to avoid with my suggestion.     

Since a slightly different width is routinely needed for each resource’s TOC Pane, adding a option to universally change all TOC Panes’ width would not be helpful.  This is why I suggest allowing the program to automatically save the last TOC Pane width selected for each particular resource.  

In addition to using the Reading View mode a lot, I also have a couple of single tiled layouts.  The single tile is expanded to take up the whole width of the screen.  If I resize the TOC Pane of each resource, select “update active” to save the layout, then return to the same layout, each resource’s TOC Pane will be displayed in its original default width.  Just like the Reading View example above, I then have to resize each one.    

My suggestion only applies to Reading View mode and wide screen single tiled layouts.  Thanks a lot for your question.  It caused me to consider some important details which I did not make clear before. 

Posts 155
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 18 2016 6:37 PM

I’ve replaced the UserVoice suggestion reflected in my initial post above with the following version which I hope explains the suggestion more clearly.  The link in my first post no longer works.  Please use the link below instead.  Thank you!  

After a User Adjusts the Width of a Table of Contents Pane, Allow the Program to Save that Setting for that Particular Resource   https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-7/suggestions/16715956-after-a-user-adjusts-the-width-of-a-table-of-conte

Within the Reader View mode, a resource’s Table of Contents (TOC) Pane is useful not only for its informational and navigational benefits but because by expanding the TOC Pane to the right a user can narrow a resource’s lines of text in the main part of the panel to a more comfortable reading width. 

Unfortunately, after adjusting a TOC Pane’s width, if a user saves and closes the layout, reopens it, and then selects “show reading view”, the resource’s TOC Pane will be displayed in its original default width causing the user to have to resize the TOC Pane again.  The same thing occurs when working in a single tiled layout which has been expanded to take up the whole width of the screen. 

I suggest once a user has adjusted the TOC Pane’s width for a particular resource within either the Reader View mode or a wide screen single tiled layout, the program automatically save that position so that the next time the resource is opened, its TOC Pane will open to the last width selected.  The last width selected would become the TOC Pane’s default width for that resource until the user readjusts it. 

I further suggest the TOC Pane be made easier to adjust.  Currently, a user places the cursor on the TOC Pane’s right edge, left clicks with the mouse, and then either drags the edge to the right or uses the keyboard arrow keys to control the TOC Pane’s width.  The first two steps of this process (resting the cursor on the pane’s edge and left clicking the mouse) require slow and very careful mouse movements.  As an alternative, I propose adding an optional keyboard shortcut key to enable TOC Pane adjustment.  This would work well with the subsequent use of the keyboard arrow keys to resize the pane.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2016 9:10 AM

This should be reported as a bug rather than a suggestion. My TOC's always used to keep their widths. Now they don't.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 155
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2016 5:14 PM

fgh:

My TOC's always used to keep their widths. Now they don't.

Hi Fgh,

This is very interesting.  After receiving your reply, I spoke with a Customer Service rep by phone and forwarded him the UserVoice suggestion.  He promised to have it evaluated by the appropriate Faithlife folks and then let me know their determination.  I'd be thrilled for them to confirm it's something the program is already supposed to be doing but is not.  That situation would obviously be way better than hoping for the implementation of a new idea.  Once Faithlife re-contacts me with their recommendation of how to proceed I will share that info here in this thread.  

Thank you

Posts 155
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 29 2016 5:35 PM

fgh:

This should be reported as a bug rather than a suggestion.

A Faithlife Technical Support Rep confirmed to me today the Logos program is not currently capable of saving the last width a user has selected for a TOC pane after a particular layout is closed.  He therefore recommended against submitting a bug report and instead advised the only chance one might have of eventually seeing this capability added to the program would be through a Uservoice suggestion.

In view of the above, to reiterate my earlier solicitation, if anyone agrees with the following UserVoice suggestion (see link), please consider supporting it with your vote.

After a User Adjusts the Width of a Table of Contents Pane, Allow the Program to Save that Setting for that Particular Resource   https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-7/suggestions/16715956-after-a-user-adjusts-the-width-of-a-table-of-conte 

Thank you

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS