Theological Journals Collection?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 99
Christopher Powell | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 12 2010 1:51 PM

Hi Folks,

In L3 I could search all of my Theological Journals with a single collection.  How do I accomplish this in v.4?  Is there a collection file that someone would be willing to share? 

I'd also like to understand how I could search article titles.  For example I want all TLJ articles that have Psalm 8 in the title.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 12 2010 2:09 PM

To create the collection use type:journal in the 'start with' box in the collection dialog. That will get all but a couple (depending on what you have) which you can add manually to the collection or add some more in the 'start in' box.

To search headings use the syntax 'heading:xxx' in the basic search input box. So for Psalm 8 use heading:"Psalm 8". This brings up articles with Psalm 8 in any heading, not just the title. That's all that can be done.

The Galaxie journals allow searching by heading. Some others do not.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 19692
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 12 2010 2:17 PM

ChristopherPowell:

In L3 I could search all of my Theological Journals with a single collection.  How do I accomplish this in v.4?  Is there a collection file that someone would be willing to share? 

There's no such thing as a "collection file" in L4, but folks have been sharing their collection rules on the wiki, at the bottom of the Collections page: http://wiki.logos.com/Collections

Here's the one I put up there for journals:

Journals

• Library Size: 2,546
  • Collection Size: 113
  • Rule: type:journal OR title:Semeia
  • Manually Included Items: none
  • Manually Excluded Items: none
  • Note: The second clause in the rule is only needed as long as Semeia is mistagged as a Monograph

(I don't have "evangelical review" which Mark pointed out was another one that isn't tagged as a journal -- I don't have any of the Galaxie ones in fact; so you'd need to add that one too if you have it: the rule would then be: type:journal OR title:Semeia OR title:"evangelical review")

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 12 2010 2:23 PM

ChristopherPowell:
How do I accomplish this in v.4?  Is there a collection file that someone would be willing to share? 

Mark gave you some good advice. I just wanted to add my syntax: title:Journal, type:journal, title:Semeia 

This formula included the Evangelical Review of Theology that Mark accessed through using a portion of its title. If you don't own Semeia, you will not need to add it to the formula.

EDIT: I don't know how she does it so often, but Rosie posted once again while I was typing.  Big Smile

Posts 99
Christopher Powell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 12 2010 2:24 PM

Thanks Mark and Rosie, this is great! Sometimes I feel like I have to re-learn the whole package.  But so far it seems worth it.

Posts 99
Christopher Powell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 12 2010 2:26 PM

Thanks Jack

I don't own Semeia but I do accept donations if you're looking to offload yours...  Big Smile

Blessings,

Chris.

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 12 2010 2:39 PM

ChristopherPowell:
I don't own Semeia but I do accept donations if you're looking to offload yours...  Big Smile

I haven't gotten much use from the set, but I think it was part of a package, so I can't give it away without losing some very valuable resources. Sorry Geeked

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS