Will FL please fix the "Total value if sold separately" math?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3219
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 29 2016 7:32 PM

This has repeatedly been brought up in numerous other threads, without any general resolution.

In this particular case, the "value" of the Oxford History collection is used instead of an individual item's "value," making the total value of these 7 books be off by hundreds of dollars.

While I realize that FL prefers to display the value of something, rather than the true cost (to make it appear that their bundles are worth far more than they would cost, if you bought everything individually), can't we agree that these 7 books don't have presently have a "value" of $646, never mind a cost of $646?

Posts 3219
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 26 2017 10:42 PM

Bumping this, since Glenn has been replying to many other store issue threads today.

The last I read, FL's detailed explanation of "Total value" implied that the sum wouldn't be changing. Perhaps FL would consider fixing the collection-in-a-collection pricing issue at least, which accounts for many discrepancies?

Posts 272
LogosEmployee
Glenn Airoldi (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 26 2017 11:08 PM

This is a known issue, and an area where we are working on shipping incremental improvements.

The collection within a collection is the most significant problem currently.

In this section of the website, we are using the "cost" figure, not a SRP or Regular price "value".  We do display the price you would pay for the resource shown, inclusive of discounts, so that it's easy to see when sale pricing on individual resources may make purchasing parts of a collection more cost effective than buying the collection itself.  

Please note that we use the terms "value" and "if sold separately" because there are instances where the resources included in a collection are not sold individually, so we can't responsibly say "Price if purchased individually", because it's not true 100% of the time.

The improvements coming will be suppressing the "Total value if sold separately" sum when partial collections are present, and adding explanatory text when items on sale make the "Total value if sold separately"  a better deal than "Your price" on the collection.

Posts 3219
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 26 2017 11:36 PM

Thanks for the reply, Glenn. It is good to know that improvements will be coming at some point!

Glenn Airoldi:

suppressing the "Total value if sold separately" sum when partial collections are present,

Since this will affect libraries and many expansions, wouldn't the suppression of the total make it more difficult for us to determine how much we are saving?

We already have many existing collections (e.g., essential reference bundle) that don’t have individual pricing or totals, making it tedious or unlikely that we'd look up up all the individual new-to-you costs to see if the bundle price was a good deal.

It would be wonderful if FL would plan to add more totals to pages that are missing them, instead of removing more of the totals.

In the long term (predicated on some future overhaul of the site/system), do you envision consistently providing (automatically generated) individual titles and prices for every bundle page? I think we would all appreciate seeing that information automatically added to pages that are missing it, instead of someone having to manually generate and/or correct it.

Posts 26530
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2017 1:49 AM

PetahChristian:
make it more difficult for us to determine how much we are saving?

You could adapt my attitude - I save only when I don't purchase.Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS