Christmas Sale is Starting

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 56 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1855
Rick | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 1 2016 2:29 PM

The Christmas sale page is up. It looks as if the 12 Days of Christmas will have some Zondervan products. https://www.logos.com/christmas 

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2016 3:01 PM

...looks fairly useless and overpriced so far.  To those who thought I just wrote "bah, humbug" that was unintended. Smile

Posts 1088
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2016 3:01 PM

That's great, thanks.

Does anyone happen to know if the CCCBv3 is a superset of the CCCBv2? It seems like it is, but it's hard to tell definitively.

Posts 1855
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2016 3:03 PM

JoshInRI:

...looks fairly useless and overpriced so far.  To those who thought I just wrote "bah, humbug" that was unintended. Smile

My thoughts as well. I think the days of good quality sales are over with at Faithlife. It is almost as if they are having sales because they feel like they have to put something out there.

Posts 1088
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2016 3:03 PM

William Gabriel:

That's great, thanks.

Does anyone happen to know if the CCCBv3 is a superset of the CCCBv2? It seems like it is, but it's hard to tell definitively.

Looks like it is: got v3 at 75% off and v2 grayed out.

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2016 3:04 PM

...is it me or does Logos tend to feature more and more Anglican products of late.  Maybe the Baptists just aren't writing enough good material these days - gasp.

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2016 3:17 PM

Rick:

Zondervan

Really hoping I can save on the WBC!

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2016 3:40 PM

JoshInRI:

...is it me or does Logos tend to feature more and more Anglican products of late.  Maybe the Baptists just aren't writing enough good material these days - gasp.

Number of resources in Anglican Portfolio: 2,503

Number of resources in Baptist Portfolio: 3,642

Perhaps you're not seeing many Baptist products because so many of FL's Baptist resources are already included within their Baptist libraries!

Posts 1608
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2016 4:45 PM

I agree with you JoshInRI

Such exorbitant prices...just about everything is way over-priced.

I mean "The MacArthur New Testament Commentary" - only 20% off. You mean that is the best FAITHLIFE can do. That should have been at least 50% off. And another thing, no dynamic pricing on this set??????? This is a real disappointment!

Posts 36072
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2016 5:07 PM

Kenute P. Curry:
I mean "The MacArthur New Testament Commentary" - only 20% off. You mean that is the best FAITHLIFE can do. That should have been at least 50% off.

Whereas I would say if they could afford 50% off, that would mean that the base price was either phony for the purposes of the sale OR indicative that Logos had an unreasonable profit margin built into their productions. I expect large discounts only on temporary sales stock (does not apply to Logos) or discontinued items (rarely applies to Logos).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9081
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2016 5:18 PM

Seems like FL is starting to get into a straitjacket with customers.  Honestly, the tagging excuse is not enough to charge so much. e-sword is not sophisticated but you click on a verse and a commentary still opens to the right page. Same with other resources. But anyway, tools are tools and Snap-on tools are better than Mac Tools.

DAL

Posts 36072
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2016 5:48 PM

DAL:
but you click on a verse and a commentary still opens to the right page.

But can you click on "he" and get the correct person? Can you click on a figurative phrase and see the rhetorical figure? Can you click in a sermon I find the basic information on who-what passage - when ...?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2016 6:01 PM

MJ. Smith:

DAL:

But can you click on "he" and get the correct person? Can you click on a figurative phrase and see the rhetorical figure? Can you click in a sermon I find the basic information on who-what passage - when ...?

I think that was the lack of sophistication about e-sword that DAL mentioned. There's no question that Logos is far more sophisticated, with regard to its datasets.

Still, there's a hefty price tag on these (features and) bundles, and even from sale to sale, it still costs a lot to eventually acquire what we want, without breaking the bank in the meantime. Stick out tongue

Posts 9081
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2016 7:31 PM
MJ. Smith:

DAL:

Wow 😳 so when the Bible says, "...God saw everything that He had made..." (Gen. 1:31), you mean to tell me you need a speaker label to know the pronoun "He" refers to God? Wow 😳 From what I remember several people submitted reports that the speaker labels were not accurate on many occasions. Also when you click on a reference sometimes it takes you to an entirely different resource (it even happens on their website when you're trying to purchase something). Again, some extra functions are cool, but do not justify hefty price tags. I have paid for Logos because I like quality but sometimes the quality is not there (e.g. Tagging on John G. Butler's alliterated "commentaries" that are pretty much overpriced ebooks with links to Scripture and that's it - one among many basic tagging overpriced books). Is Logos the best? Yes, but maybe being the best is getting over their heads a little and that's not good, especially when they're where they're at thanks to customers who buy from them so they can stay in business. Anyway, as Petah said, my use of sophisticated "implied" the extra functions you mentioned...ah, but you already know that since implication is something you studied in Logic class 😜😁👍 Goodnight! TGIF tomorrow! DAL
Posts 1608
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2016 7:50 PM

I will state this MJ. Smith

I bought the HARDBACK COPIES of "The MacArthur New Testament Commentary (33 Volumes) for $300.00 - Brand-spanking new. And you are trying to tell me that FAITHLIFE cannot do better than this. I'm not buying into that foolishness!!!!!!! 

And also, I am not the only person who has stated this here in the forums!

End of discussion!!!!!

Posts 1608
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2016 7:54 PM

DAL you really nailed it down on your last post!!!!

YesYesYesYesYes

Posts 63
greypilgrim | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2016 8:34 PM

What would Christmas be without the retail apartment of logos using old ideas to generate new income. I thought they had exhausted itself in November with Black Friday and Black Monday sales. But I guess they were just warming up. What were they hoping but those two sales would create such a fine frenzy but we would not be paying attention to the price gouging

John H Pavelko

Crossroads Presbyterian Church

Walled Lake MI

Posts 36072
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2016 8:34 PM

DAL:
From what I remember several people submitted reports that the speaker labels were not accurate on many occasions

There are errors and there are ambiguious cases where I disagree with the FaithLife coding. The point is that the reference coding is not particularly what we pay for as it is easily automated. It is the Bible Place/Things/Events/People tagging, the morphology and syntactic tagging etc.

I try to ignore all the posts speculating/anticipating/complaining about etc. prices as I believe the following things:

• I am not a business oriented person - I am a customer who decides what a resource is worth to me not its general worth
  • Because I've taken several economics classes, I know I don't have the information necessary to set a reasonable price
  • It's Bob's company - he can do what he wants and he seems to be reasonable competent in his decisions

However, I do object to misleading information, misleading by ommission,  in posts about prices - because misinformation drives me nuts. I do wish that there was a separate forum on pricing issues so I could easily bypass the posts without fear of missing something relevant.

Posts 410
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2016 8:51 PM

Kenute P. Curry:

I will state this MJ. Smith

I bought the HARDBACK COPIES of "The MacArthur New Testament Commentary (33 Volumes) for $300.00 - Brand-spanking new. And you are trying to tell me that FAITHLIFE cannot do better than this. I'm not buying into that foolishness!!!!!!! 

And also, I am not the only person who has stated this here in the forums!

End of discussion!!!!!

Even at Christianbook.com the entire set (hardcover) is selling for $449.99 right now. Well, presumably FL assumes that there will be customers seeing the worth in buying the Logos edition with a premium pricing, albeit more expensive than the printed hardcovers despite the Christmas "sales."

Director

Elyon Family Clinic & Surgery Pte Ltd

Singapore

Posts 5130
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 2 2016 4:47 AM

I agree with a lot here but two additional thoughts. 1) The mntc is currently selling for $530 on his GTY website.

https://www.gty.org/products/commentaries/4333plus/The-MacArthur-New-Testament-Complete-33Volume-Commentary-Set-Plus-Index-Hardcover

I bought it originally for $300 as well but I'm guessing that was intro pricing. 2) We have to remember logos' relationship with Moody is tentative at the moment. I don't know why they split but they are back together at moment so it is possible Moody may have a hand in the pie.

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS