Preaching the Word or The Bible Speaks Today?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 17
Daniel | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 10 2016 7:53 PM

Right now, Preaching the Word and The Bible Speaks Today are both on sale for about  $10 a book. Both are non-technical commentaries, with PtW obviously aimed more at the preaching pastor. Several BST volumes get good reviews on BestCommentaries.

If you could only choose one set, which one would you choose?

Or, maybe try for the PtW set plus the highest rated from BST?

Posts 6004
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2016 8:03 PM

In regards to BST be careful and look at various Base Packages and your  dynamic pricing as BST sets do come in some of these if you are wanting to buy the whole set of BST NT Or BST OT

BST NT Is available as part of Anglican Sliver. Dependant up on your dynamic price for this collection you might get it cheaper  along with addtional resources buying the base package than you will buying it in the Christmas Sale.

https://www.logos.com/product/81157/anglican-bronze 

It is also included in other denominaltion base packages.  See the BST NT product page for all sets it is included:

https://www.logos.com/product/8587/the-bible-speaks-today-new-testament

BST OT is available as pat of Anglican Portfolio along with BST NT.

https://www.logos.com/product/53336/bible-speaks-today-old-testament-commentary-series 

Dependant up on your dynamic price for this collection you might get it cheaper  along with additional resources buying the base package than you will buying it in the Christmas Sale.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2016 8:38 PM

Preaching the Word is a homiletical commentary - actually it's mostly expository sermons redone to work in written form. They are usually very good at what they do: help the preacher see homiletical points he/she might have missed, or help to say things a better way. I think they're the best Logos has in homiletical commentaries.

I have less experience with BST, and it is limited to only the NT (and not all of that yet). It's hard to go wrong with John Stott though. Just about anything from his pen is worth a look. I'm less familiar with most of the other contributors, but the names I recognize are quite trustworthy generally good writers. Since I've not been preaching from the NT, and since I got these as part of my upgrade to a Logos 7 passage I can't say much more.

Not sure that helps you, but that's what I can say so far.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 17
Daniel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2016 11:00 PM

DOC: Good point. Anglican Bronze -- even without any dynamic pricing or feature set discount -- is currently cheaper than the sale price of the individual volumes of the BST NT.

Plus you get most of the N.T. Wright collection (NT for Everyone, Christian Origins), so the Bronze library probably makes more sense if someone is interested in that sale bundle, as well.

Posts 17
Daniel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2016 11:08 PM

Here are how some of the BST volumes currently rank at bestcommentaries.com among other commentaries on each book of the Bible. Looks like the Stott volumes are the must-haves. If you can't afford the full set, it looks like the books by Motyer, Webb, Kidner, and Wilcock are all definitely worthwhile, as are a few more from a couple other commentators.

I've appreciated other books by Christopher J. H. Wright, and so his volumes in the OT set are also intriguing.

3 Song of Songs (Gledhill)
3 Isaiah (Webb)
4 Ecclesiastes (Kidner)
4 Exodus (Motyer)
5 Hosea (Kidner)
5 Amos (Motyer)
5 Jonah (Nixon)
5 Zechariah (Webb)
5 Ezekiel (Wright)
6 Ruth (Atkinson)
6 Judges (Wilcock)
8 Leviticus (Tidball)
9 Psalms (Wilcock)

3 Acts (Stott)
4 Romans (Stott)
4 Galatians (Stott)
4 Thessalonians (Stott)
5 2 Corinthians (Barnett)
5 1 Timothy/Titus (Stott)
5 Hebrews (Brown)
6 1 Peter (Clowney)
7 2 Timothy (Stott)
7 Revelation (Wilcock)
8 2 Peter/Jude (Lucas/Green)
8 Colossians/Philemon (Lucas)
9 Ephesians (Stott)
9 Philippians (Motyer)
10 James (Motyer)

Posts 948
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 11 2016 7:12 PM

The package advice is always good info.  I have both and I vote PTW:

I find much more original content in PTW.  The layout of the commentaries flows much more smoothly (as another poster said they could be sermons).  I trust more of the authors in PTW vs BST.  The expositional nature of the commentaries lends itself greatly to my preaching style.  

This vote isn't even a question in my mind.

Posts 1084
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 12 2016 12:41 AM

Another route is adding the cheapest base starter package that you can at the same time as the PtW collection. 

Mileage varies as to whether this is cheaper ... or the starter resources become close to free etc.

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 9023
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 12 2016 4:38 AM

If value is what you're looking for, the PtW is by far the best! BST is awesome too! I own the whole set in my second "go to" software and only the NT in Logos. Too bad the OT is too pricey in Logos.

DAL

Posts 3337
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 12 2016 4:52 AM

DAL:

If value is what you're looking for, the PtW is by far the best! BST is awesome too! I own the whole set in my second "go to" software and only the NT in Logos. Too bad the OT is too pricey in Logos.

DAL

YesBeer

Posts 283
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 12 2016 6:46 AM

I have both and find them both very valuable. However, if I could only choose one, I would choose Preaching the Word because the information you will find in The Bible Speaks Today can be found in other commentaries.

Posts 371
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 12 2016 7:02 AM

I too would vote for Preaching the Word with an exception. Anything that Christopher Wright has comments on is useful for preaching- Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Lamentations in BST. (Thank you DAL for bringing Wright's Preaching the Old Testament for All it's Worth" to our attention.) I also bought the BST Daniel version by Dale Ralph Davis. He wrote the highly rated FOB commentaries on Joshua, Judges, Samuel & Kings. He was a preacher extraordinaire on the Old Testament.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS