Recommended Reading in 2017 that is available in Logos

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 235
Alexxy Olu | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 27 2016 12:28 PM

What is your recommended Reading in 2017 that is available in Logos?

I wish to put my Logos library to better use in 2017.

As part of this I would want to read some books within my library.

Please help me with your recommendations as to what is available in Logos that I could put on my reading list for 2017.

Thanks.  

Posts 5947
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 27 2016 1:09 PM

All the books from the Counterpoints series are good reads. I will be busy with them. Here's the link in case you're interested:

https://www.logos.com/product/53799/zondervan-counterpoints-series 

DAL

Posts 235
Alexxy Olu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 28 2016 11:48 AM

Thanks Dal.

I think it an opportunity to look at some of the volumes in that collection.

Posts 12825
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2016 2:48 PM

Alexxy Olu:

I have 274 Logos books on my 'to read' pile. I will not get through them all in 2017! If you might want to browse the list:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/5668120-mark-barnes?shelf=logos%2Cto-read&sort=avg_rating 

This year I only managed to read through 18 Logos books cover-to-cover, compared to 59 on Kindle. I'm looking to change that ratio in 2017.

Posts 732
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2016 3:52 PM

Alexxy Olu:

I wish to put my Logos library to better use in 2017.

As part of this I would want to read some books within my library.

If you have Logos 7, you might want to look at the Courses tool.  It will present topics to you where material will be provided on that topic from several of your Logos resources. 

I am currently going through a course about John Calvin.  The first few readings were from a variety of books.  I am currently on selections directly from The Institutes of the Christian Religion.

So you could be putting your library to good use and becoming familiar with several of your resources at the same time.

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2016 4:02 PM

I'm taking the great books challenge in 2017. Reading the GBWW over the next 5 to 7 years. I even created a Faithlife group with a reading plan for the Homer volume. 

Posts 235
Alexxy Olu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2016 1:09 PM

Thank all for your responses.

I have 189 books om my "ToRead" list. I usually have a good reason for tagging a book "ToRead" The problem now is that I have forgotten the reasons for tagging many of those books and since they are so many, it is difficult to decide which ten to pick for my immediate reading plan for 2017.

I will browse Marks list. Any book on his list and mine will move up the list towards "immediate read" and possibly part of the ten I will read first in the New Year.

David, I have Logos 7 with Logos Now, so I will take a look at those courses. Am presently thinking of a broad category of resources that I will read straight through. I have read three different "types" of The Institutes of the Christian Religion, the last one being the two-volume edited by John T. McNeill using a reading plan earlier in the year.

James, I guess GBWW refers to great books of western world (60 vols.)?  I own the collection and will now take a look at them.

Posts 956
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2016 1:37 PM

James C.:

I'm taking the great books challenge in 2017. Reading the GBWW over the next 5 to 7 years. I even created a Faithlife group with a reading plan for the Homer volume. 

Is this a group anyone can join? If yes, do you mind sharing the link. I want to get down to tackling the great books but I have no idea where or how to start. The reading plans I'm finding online seem to have you reading bits here and here from different books, or the plans include the Gateway books as well. I have read Apology and Crito (from the Dialogues of Plato), and I started Clouds (Aristophanes) but didn't get far (I'm not keen on the translation).

I had found a reading schedule online (which I turned into a personal book) which has you finishing in 10 years, but I don't like it.

Posts 2708
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2016 1:54 PM

I recommend Church Fathers, but in modern translations like those of the Fathers of the Church or Ancient Christian Writers, not the old and harder to read ones (like Schaff).

From the Fathers of the Church, my recommendations for those new to reading the works of early Christians would be The Apostolic Fathers, Saint Augustine: Confessions, Early Christian Biographies (especially the lives of St. Anthony and Paul the First Hermit by Sts. Athanasius and Jerome), and Ecclesiastical History, Books 1–5 & Ecclesiastical History, Books 6–10 by Eusebius.

Posts 563
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2016 4:43 PM

Mark Barnes:

Alexxy Olu:

I have 274 Logos books on my 'to read' pile. I will not get through them all in 2017! If you might want to browse the list:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/5668120-mark-barnes?shelf=logos%2Cto-read&sort=avg_rating 

This year I only managed to read through 18 Logos books cover-to-cover, compared to 59 on Kindle. I'm looking to change that ratio in 2017.

Thank you, Mark, for letting the rest of us see your reading list. I was impressed that I have several of those resources in my Logos Library which I had never encountered (except to tag them for future reading). You introduced me to Kenneth Bailey's work today (and I have the one on Jacob/Prodigal)...now I want to get more (Thank you Logos for having them available for purchase). I've put two of Bailey's books on my wish list and hopefully after the New Year, they will become a part of my New Year's reading list.

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2016 5:06 PM

Yasmin Stephen:

James C.:

Is this a group anyone can join? If yes, do you mind sharing the link. I want to get down to tackling the great books but I have no idea where or how to start. The reading plans I'm finding online seem to have you reading bits here and here from different books, or the plans include the Gateway books as well. I have read Apology and Crito (from the Dialogues of Plato), and I started Clouds (Aristophanes) but didn't get far (I'm not keen on the translation).

I had found a reading schedule online (which I turned into a personal book) which has you finishing in 10 years, but I don't like it.

Yes, anyone can join. Here is the link.

https://faithlife.com/the-great-books-challenge/activity

Posts 5947
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2016 5:12 PM

I'll be reading this ONE: https://www.logos.com/product/32342/paul-through-mediterranean-eyes-cultural-studies-in-1-corinthians  on 1 Corinthians by Kenneth Bailey. Out of curiosity I read the first essay on the cross early this year, but got sidetracked with another book I was reading that I totally forgot to continue this one. It was very good!

Posts 956
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2016 4:24 AM

James C.:

Yasmin Stephen:

James C.:

Yes, anyone can join. Here is the link.

https://faithlife.com/the-great-books-challenge/activity

Thanks!

Posts 562
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2017 4:13 PM

Hi Alexxy,

I am going to be re-reading foundations of Christian faith by Boyce. It pulls together a lot of Theology and for me presents in very clearly in a way my very small brain can comprehend :-)  I am also going though Daniel blocks course on Judges which I got on community pricing - really looking forward to this because I love the way Block puts information accross.  Have a great 2017 

Trying to be as noble as a Berean , Acts 17:11

Posts 938
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2017 4:20 PM

From Heaven He Came and Sought Her.

The definitive work on definite atonement (at least modern work).  Each chapter stands alone which makes it much easier to get through.  This is also the only book that I campaigned to get in Logos and actually made it. ;)

Posts 235
Alexxy Olu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2017 6:52 AM

Hi Dave. Just to clarify.

Dave Thawley:
I am going to be re-reading foundations of Christian faith by Boyce.  

Do you mean “Foundations of the Christian Faith" by Boice, James Montgomery? It's on my "ToRead" collection.

Or there is a similar title by Boyce?

I also have "Abstract of Systematic Theology" by Boyce, James Petigu which is on my “ToRead” collection.

Thanks.

Posts 235
Alexxy Olu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2017 7:02 AM

Your responses have been very helpful.

You have helped me to discover more books worthy of straight read-through in my Library and have now made a collection of them.

Thanks Mark for sharing your extensive reading list. Am only a third of the way checking through it.

Wish you all a year of closer walk with our Lord Jesus Christ with all the attendant blessings. 

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS