Search for entities that interacted with Jesus.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 954
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 21 2017 6:09 AM

Hi all L7 power users, God bless:

I wonder if there is a way to search for passages that show entities Jesus interacted with (more interested in natural and supernatural persons).

I tried the following, but got too many hits by using morph search, and too little by using clause:

I was thinking of using as reference the following:

https://blog.logos.com/2014/07/logos-5-combine-clause-passage-list-and-ln-numbers-for-a-unique-search/ 

But I am not sure how to know all the LN ranges that need to be in the search string (so entities are not left out due to manually picking them).

Thanks ahead of time for any tip shared.

The purpose of the search is to try to ascertain the attitude Jesus had towards different entities, and try to elucidate the possible reason for it.

Blessings.

Posts 9528
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 9:17 AM

Hamilton,

If you have Bible Browser as a tool, you can take advantage of Logos' coding of speakers and addressees. Here is an example from Matthew:

The highlighted text is that which was spoken to Jesus.

You could also find all the times Jesus was the speaker. You'll then have a list on the left of all the labeled addressees.

You could search for Jesus as the Addressee:

You could also search for Jesus as the Speaker.

(The advantage of the Bible Browser it it gives the context of the results, not just the hits themselves.)

Is this going in the direction you want?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 954
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 10:49 AM

It seems that clause search: Agent:Jesus Patient:any 

yields better results, although some entities seem to be missing.

Concordance tool seems to serve well to explore entities, I just need to learn to send certain verses to a passage list, so they can be filtered for Jesus in the interaction.

I am still interested in good input. The context for the search was a precept inductive study of Philippians, where a "living demonstrations of the attitudes of Christ" chart was to be used to find applications for our lives.

Peace and grace.

Posts 954
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 10:59 AM

Thanks Mark for the excellent input. 

I do not have Bible browser, as is not yet available for stand alone in L7, I think it requires subscription.

I thought of doing the Bible search as you mentioned, but I was wondering if there was a way to include more actions than speech (that is why I tried @V in morph search, but got too many hits.

It would be awesome if there was a way to search for interactions of Jesus not only talking, but rebuking, healing, knowing what was in mind, etc. with respect to natural and supernatural persons (entities).

I hope Bible browser will get to be available for independent of subscription purchase some time.

Thanks for the help.

Blessings.

Posts 25223
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 11:07 AM

Hamilton Ramos:
I do not have Bible browser, as is not yet available for stand alone in L7, I think it requires subscription.

It is available for purchase in the Extended Feature Set - https://www.logos.com/product/136012/logos-7-extended-feature-set 

What things do you think you are missing when using the "agent:Jesus patient:Any" search?

Posts 954
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 3:16 PM

Hi Graham, God bless:

Logos 7 extended feature set: thanks for the link, excellent.

Graham Criddle:
What things do you think you are missing when using the "agent:Jesus patient:Any" search?

For some reason the interaction of Jesus with the devil in the desert when Jesus was led by the Spirit is not in the results.

Thanks for the input, now quick to get the extended set LOL.

Blessings.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS