Find Lemma Use Tagged by a Specific Preaching Theme

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 323
Andrew | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 21 2017 1:20 PM

What is the syntax for finding a lemma tagged by a specific preaching theme?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 2:04 PM

Right click on a word or lemma includes preaching theme(s) tagged to that verse.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 323
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 2:31 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Right click on a word or lemma includes preaching theme(s) tagged to that verse.

I realize that, but I get no results when I search for

{Section <PreachingTheme = Marriage>} lemma:ἔχω

I get nothing and

{Section <PreachingTheme = Marriage>} ἔχω

does not bring up my original verse (1 Cor. 7:2)

...I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

Posts 2166
LogosEmployee

Andrew:

{Section <PreachingTheme = Marriage>} lemma:ἔχω

The "lemma" syntax is only valid in a Morph search. Either use a morph search, or try the following search (which will be automatically filled in if you use the auto-completer to select your lemma:
{Section <PreachingTheme = Marriage>} <Lemma = lbs/el/ἔχω>

This is actually not what you want to search for though, as this shows all verses that are marked with the Preaching Theme and also contain the lemma. But, the entire verse might not be marked with the Preaching Theme. Instead, you want all the places where the text marked with the Preaching Theme intersects the lemma. Try this:

{Section <PreachingTheme = Marriage>} INTERSECTS <Lemma = lbs/el/ἔχω>

Andrew:

{Section <PreachingTheme = Marriage>} ἔχω

This doesn't find your verse, because the manuscript form of the text at that location is ἐχέτω.

Posts 323
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 3:25 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

This is actually not what you want to search for though, as this shows all verses that are marked with the Preaching Theme and also contain the lemma. But, the entire verse might not be marked with the Preaching Theme. Instead, you want all the places where the text marked with the Preaching Theme intersects the lemma. Try this:

{Section <PreachingTheme = Marriage>} INTERSECTS <Lemma = lbs/el/ἔχω>

Perfect - Thank you!

The LEB footnote tags ἐχέτω with "I.e., in the sense of 'have sexual relations with'".  I was expecting the above search to yield some examples of this indicated euphemism, but I don't see any in the results.  Can anyone offer some ancient examples that would support seeing this verb as a euphemism?

Posts 2166
LogosEmployee

You might find the Figurative Language dataset useful. Looks for details on the limitations of this dataset in The Lexham Figurative Language of the Bible Glossary.

Check out some of these searches:

{Section <FIgurativeLanguageCategory = Euphemism>} INTERSECTS <Lemma = lbs/el/ἔχω>

{Section <FigurativeLanguageType = To Have Someone as To Have Sexual Relations With>}

{Section <FigurativeLanguageTerm = To Have Sexual Relations With>}

Posts 323
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 22 2017 8:59 AM

You might find the Figurative Language dataset useful. Looks for details on the limitations of this dataset in The Lexham Figurative Language of the Bible Glossary.

Check out some of these searches:

{Section <FIgurativeLanguageCategory = Euphemism>} INTERSECTS <Lemma = lbs/el/ἔχω>

{Section <FigurativeLanguageType = To Have Someone as To Have Sexual Relations With>}

{Section <FigurativeLanguageTerm = To Have Sexual Relations With>}

Thank you - That is exactly what I was looking for.

All three searches only bring up 1 Cor 5:1.  Is there a reason that these searches don't bring up 1 Cor. 7:2 or is that simply an oversight?

Also, {Section <PreachingTheme = Sex>} INTERSECTS <Lemma = lbs/el/ἔχω> should bring up 1 Cor. 5:1, right?

Posts 22284
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 22 2017 9:21 AM

Some speculation - Faithlife would need to comment definitively

Andrew:
All three searches only bring up 1 Cor 5:1.  Is there a reason that these searches don't bring up 1 Cor. 7:2 or is that simply an oversight?

Looks like an oversight to me.

Andrew:
Also, {Section <PreachingTheme = Sex>} INTERSECTS <Lemma = lbs/el/ἔχω> should bring up 1 Cor. 5:1, right?

It is tagged with the Preaching Theme "Sexual Immorality" but not "Sex" - I assume this is a deliberate choice.

Posts 2166
LogosEmployee

Andrew:

Thank you - That is exactly what I was looking for.

As indicated in the limitations section of the resource linked above...

Lexham Figurative Language of the Bible Glossary:

...the ubiquity of figurative language in the New Testament prohibits an exhaustive annotation of figurative expressions in the New Testament at this stage. The dataset is therefore limited to the most noteworthy instances.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS