Logos on Mobile

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1609
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 2 2017 1:19 PM

I have been a Logos user since Libronix 2 in 2002 or so and my library has grown larger than I thought it would over the years :) I now find myself in the market for a smartphone. I see that there is a free app for both iPhone and Android, but am wondering what I should be aware of about these applications. Of course, I cannot expect the phone stores to know these details, but figured you all would know more.

I do know that Logos came to iPhone first, but it looks like both are mature apps. Is there any difference I should be aware of?

From what I understand, both apps do allow reading my library when offline. Of course, this takes some storage. Should I be concerned about storage capacity on various phones?

There is a bit of variety in devise size. I do have middle age eyes and bifocals... I assume that on a larger devise I would be able to read easier, but how really is it reading from various devises? How are the various displays when it comes to reading things?

Is there something else that I should be aware of before making a decision?

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Orthodox Silver, Lutheran Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 28047
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 2 2017 1:35 PM

Ken McGuire:
I do know that Logos came to iPhone first, but it looks like both are mature apps. Is there any difference I should be aware of?

At one time, the iOS app was more mature. They are not identical apps, but very similar. Users of both platforms will have to chime in, but one difference I know about is that the iOS app allows for the iOS dictionary to be used, which is helpful for looking up words in non-reverse interlinear resources. 

Ken McGuire:
Should I be concerned about storage capacity on various phones?

You should NOT download all of your resources, unless you are in an extreme situation. The app doesn't perform as well, and the "best fix" for many issues is a complete reinstall. Not a big deal with a few (or even 100) resources, but a HUGE deal when dealing with thousands. 

Ken McGuire:
There is a bit of variety in devise size. I do have middle age eyes and bifocals... I assume that on a larger devise I would be able to read easier, but how really is it reading from various devises? How are the various displays when it comes to reading things?

How much reading will you be doing on your phone? I do use Logos on my iPhone 6s. I will be due for a new phone in the fall, and <may> migrate to a "plus" size... but not because of Logos. Unless you are doing a lot of reading, I think other considerations should be examined first. For example... some friends <must> be able to put their phone in their pants pocket. A larger phone isn't good for that! Wink I have big fingers and liked moving from the 4s, to 5s to 6s. Each were larger in size. 

Ken McGuire:
Is there something else that I should be aware of before making a decision?

Even though there may be a few differences in the Logos apps on these platforms, I think the real issue lay outside of any FL considerations. Personally, I love being in my Apple ecosystem... I have always wanted my "calendar in my pocket" and now it is. No matter if I am on my MacBook, Mac Mini, iPad, iPhone or AppleWatch, I always have access to my calendar. Others have reasons to get Android... but not me. Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2698
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 2 2017 1:47 PM

Have to agree, platform is nowadays down to your personal preference, both apps are indeed pretty mature, the differences are minor IMO

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 5262
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 2 2017 3:48 PM

I have had minimal contact with Android... Android as I understand it doesn;t support external storage, so Logos must be installed on your internal memory This means you will want to look with a device with 32GB or more of internal storage (my iPhone is a 128 GB). And while it is true you do not want to have all your resources on your device, I have about 1200 resources on my iPad and have had no real issues... Yes 3 times in several years I have had to redownload the files but I often am offline and want a substantial core of my Library always accessible. I have heard within the past year someone complaining about not being able to do something on android that is on iOS but do not remember what it was, if you prefer the android OS to apples iOS you will have as mentioned a virtually identical functioning app.

-Dan

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 2 2017 5:13 PM

Here's a list of the differences:

Features only available on Android:
- Report Typos feature 
- Keep screen on setting
- Margins are adjustable
- Always show book panel controls setting
- Complete color scheme implementation
- The Store allows direct in-App purchases from Faithlife

Features only available on iOS:
- Prayers appear on the Home page
- Reading Reminders
- Screen brightness setting
- Individual Interlinear lines can be turned on/off (Resource specific)
- Individual Note Documents can be turned on/off (Resource specific)
- Individual Community Note Groups can be turned on/off (Resource specific)
- Individual Reading Plans can be turned on/off (Resource specific)
- The Tab Bar can be set to always appear on iPhone devices

Features better on iOS:
- Smooth scrolling is much smoother
- Startup time is faster

Features better on Android:
- Color Schemes; if you use low-light mode a lot it's a much better experience.

Other info:
- SD Cards are not supported (Android)

Posts 5262
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 2 2017 5:41 PM

Kevin any chance the iOS version will see report a typo anytime in the near future?

-Dan

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 2 2017 6:04 PM

Dan Francis:

Kevin any chance the iOS version will see report a typo anytime in the near future?

-Dan

Hi Dan,

I don't know if there are plans to add this in the near future. We rarely make announcements about possible new features until they are coded, tested and ready to ship - then we announce any new features in the Beta release notes.

Posts 5262
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 3 2017 6:32 AM

Very understandable I just hadn't been aware of report typo on android, which would be handy. But I do understand until it's in beta no point in getting hopes up, 

dan

Posts 1511
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 3 2017 7:21 AM

Kevin Byford:

Features only available on iOS:

Features better on iOS:

One more advantage to iOS you forgot to mention... for me this is by far the most important difference between the two apps currently:

- Bible pop-ups can display multiple verses, as well as longer verses

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 6 2017 12:46 PM

Fr Devin Roza:

One more advantage to iOS you forgot to mention... for me this is by far the most important difference between the two apps currently:

Thanks for mentioning this, although multiple verses are only shown if the resource is downloaded on iOS.

Posts 1511
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 6 2017 12:55 PM

Kevin Byford:

Fr Devin Roza:

Thanks for mentioning this, although multiple verses are only shown if the resource is downloaded on iOS.

What do you mean? I've never seen that.

I just tested with a Bible commentary that wasn't downloaded to the iOS device, and it displayed multiple Bible verse pop-ups just as well as the commentaries I have downloaded. 

That's what I meant to refer to, anyway.

Android can't do that, which is really, really frustrating given almost all the books in our library are about the Bible and are constantly referring to Bible verses.

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 6 2017 1:03 PM

Fr Devin Roza:

Please see https://monosnap.com/file/PQBGAqNkwBU9wVdHW3tR57omb8gD9R .

Fr Devin Roza:
I just tested with a Bible commentary that wasn't downloaded to the iOS device, and it displayed multiple Bible verse pop-ups just as well as the commentaries I have downloaded. 

Is the Bible that's shown for those verses downloaded locally?

Fr Devin Roza:
Android can't do that, which is really, really frustrating given almost all the books in our library are about the Bible and are constantly referring to Bible verses.

Thanks Devin, I've written up a case.

Posts 1511
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 6 2017 11:11 PM

Kevin Byford:

Fr Devin Roza:

Please see https://monosnap.com/file/PQBGAqNkwBU9wVdHW3tR57omb8gD9R .

Is the Bible that's shown for those verses downloaded locally?

Thanks. That makes it clear what you were referring to. I always have my preferred Bible downloaded locally (and would even suggest the app automatically download the preferred Bible).

Kevin Byford:

Thanks Devin, I've written up a case.

Thanks.

Posts 1919
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 4:53 PM

Kevin Byford:

I love the text to speech feature on my iPhone for listening to Vyrso books.

I run the Vyrso app on my Nexus 7 tablet but haven't figured our how to do text to speech.

I don't know if this is an Operating System limitation, a device limitation, or user ignorance Embarrassed

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2698
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 9 2017 8:48 AM

Lack of Android TTS in Faithlife App is not a Android System issue, but sadly a FL Implementation problem, I posted 5 or 6 years ago how it could possibly be implemented on android, however for whatever reason FL have chosen not to, admittedly my suggestion may at that time also have been flawed.

I am also waiting for the promised Personal books on mobile platforms I was given back in Logos 4/5 days, I realise there are a limited pool of developers, but sometimes 4+ years seems like an eternity, seemed like it may happen soon when syncing across desktops was implemented, however...  those of us with odd libraries and non standard/traditional  documents are still keeping the faith and hoping.. but am resigned to fact it may never get implemented, this is one of the main reasons I am not prepared to invest further funds at this time in Faithlife

I appreciate the response is vote for it on uservoice, but I already have and am still waiting

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS