Manipulating Greek text after copying and pasting into Microsoft Word

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3
Claud Spencer | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 19 2010 1:36 PM

Hi, Has anyone been successful in manipulating the Greek text after copying and pasting into Microsoft Word?  It comes over in gridlines.  When I try to move text around in a uniform manner, it doesn't work?

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 2:19 PM

Claud

I'm not sure what you mean here. I have been copying Greek text in MS Word (both 2003 and 2007) and then manipulating it (changing font, changing final accents when I use a word alone embedded in English text, etc.) for years and have never come across the gridlines you are referring to. However, I prefer not to use Copy and Paste but just Copy in the Copy Verses dialog and then switching to Word I Paste, because otherwise you get the Logos font in your Word document, which is not what I want, as for academic work I work with a Unicode font Palatino Linotype. Try using Copy instead of Copy and Paste and see how you get on.

Could you post a screen shot showing the gridlines so I can see what you mean?

FYI here is a screen shot I used earlier today to respond to another post.

Hope that helps.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 19706
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 2:48 PM

ClaudSpencer:

Hi, Has anyone been successful in manipulating the Greek text after copying and pasting into Microsoft Word?  It comes over in gridlines.  When I try to move text around in a uniform manner, it doesn't work?

Are you copying/pasting from an Interlinear with English and Greek text? In this case it will come over to Word in tabular format. If that's the case, you can use Word's "convert table to text" feature to get rid of the tablular format (you might also have to go in and Replace all Tabs with spaces). Bit of a pain.

If you're not doing that, then can you explain to us precisely what steps you're doing to select and copy the text from Logos? What version of the Bible are you copying it from?

If you could attach a screenshot of what it looks like once you've pasted it into Word, too, that would be helpful (and turn on all visible marks in Word before capturing the screen, by pressing Ctrl+Shift+8). Let me know if you need assistance capturing a rectangular portion of your screen and attaching the resulting image to a post here on the forum.

EDIT: Here's a screen capture of when I copied and pasted from a full screen interlinear (this feature is available only in 4.0c beta, so if you're using a prior version you couldn't have possibly gotten the gridlines this way):

Posts 3
Claud Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 8:49 PM

Hi Rosie,

Thanks so much for responding!

I guess I didn't make myself very clear. 

Your suggestion to convert table to text in Word did help alot.  I still have problems if I try to move separate words around.  I can now move an entire line down uniformly.  What I'm trying to do is paste Greek text with the identifiers under them and then enter a line below it with my own commentary.  I thought maybe I could even almost do some sentence diagramming (by manipulating the lines and words around) but it seems like if you try to move just one word, (with it's identifiers) it won't cooperate.  Does any of this make better sense?

Thanks again,

Claud:}

Posts 19706
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 10:22 PM

ClaudSpencer:

Your suggestion to convert table to text in Word did help alot.  I still have problems if I try to move separate words around.  I can now move an entire line down uniformly.  What I'm trying to do is paste Greek text with the identifiers under them and then enter a line below it with my own commentary.  I thought maybe I could even almost do some sentence diagramming (by manipulating the lines and words around) but it seems like if you try to move just one word, (with it's identifiers) it won't cooperate.  Does any of this make better sense?

After you've converted the table to text, how are you trying to move separate words around? This is becoming a Word support question, but I'm equally (if not more) qualified to answer those, as I was one of the developers of Word...  However I probably shouldn't take too much time on the Logos forum for it. Do you have a good reason to suspect that the reason you're having problems moving Greek words around in Word has to do with the fact that they came originally from Logos? If so, I'll keep working with you on this.

To help me troubleshoot this for you, once you've pasted the text in to Word, could you save that document and attach it to your reply here? (Just click the paperclip icon on the toolbar above the editing area when you're composing your reply, and browse to where you've saved the document, select it, click Open, remove the 550 and 0 from the Max Width and Height fields, and click Insert.)

Posts 3
Claud Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 1:13 PM

Hi Rosie,

I completely understand that you probably don't have the time to help me.  If so, please don't even respond to this email.  I am a compete novice in alot ways as to computers!

The attached has text in Greek and english from Logos.  When I attempted to move the whole line down you can see that it only moves the first word and the rest of the sentence moves farther away.  When I attempted to cut and paste the one word it ended up out of order.  It seems that the text can't be manipulated after pasting?

Thanks so much,

Claud

1817.Eph518Greek.doc

Posts 19706
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 5:11 PM

ClaudSpencer:

The attached has text in Greek and english from Logos.  When I attempted to move the whole line down you can see that it only moves the first word and the rest of the sentence moves farther away.  When I attempted to cut and paste the one word it ended up out of order.  It seems that the text can't be manipulated after pasting?

OK, I think I see where you've tried to "move" a couple of words "down" in this document. May I ask what you are trying to accomplish? Do you want to create some vertical space between two of the lines of text so you can insert in there your commentary? If that is the case, then you need to take advantage of the fact that the text is already in a table, and use table features to expand the space rather than just hitting Enter a bunch of times to add more space.

What you'll need to do is select an entire row in the table by moving the mouse to the left of the row (see where the pointer is in this screen shot) so that it turns into an angled arrow pointing towards the upper right, and then click with the left mouse button.

In the above table, I have selected the second row. I'm going to add another row above that, which will have the effect of opening up space where you could put your commentary text. (Select whichever row you want to insert a blank row above.)

Now, what version of Word are you running? If it's Word 2007, once you select a table row, a couple of new "Table Tools" tabs will show up to the right of all your existing tabs. Click on Layout, then click "Insert Above" and it will insert a row above the current one:

If you're using Word 2003, the command is on the menus: Table > Insert > Rows Above.

Here's what it looks like after I've inserted a row above:

Note that if you are planning to type free-form text in that space in between rows, it will be kind of hard to do it inside the table cells. You won't have the freedom to type the words wherever you want them to go -- they'll have to line up in columns. But you can fix that by "merging" all the cells in the new empty row which will make them into one long cell with no vertical dividers. In Word 2007, this command is on the Table Tools > Layout tab:

In Word 2003, the command is Table > Merge Cells.

After merging all the cells in that row, this is what I've got:

Note that the row is still selected. After I start typing something into it, it looks like this:

If you want that text left justified instead of centered within the width of the whole table (which format it inherited from the cells that were merged) just type Ctrl+L or click on the Left Justify icon. It's on the Home tab in Word 2007, or on the ribbon in Word 2003:

Tables are a rather complex feature in Word, so if you can't get them to do what you want after this message, I'm going to have to direct you to do some training in Word or follow an online tutorial on using Tables. Here's one for Word 2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAV9uJpziEo. For Word 2003: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29ZjfXXJP50, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAsy3Q1c-80, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN6wiiIsxHU, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgVIrAUDlk0.

One last thing, those vertical and horizontal dotted lines you see in the table won't print. They are gridlines (just to help you see where the cell boundaries are), not borders. You can add borders if you want -- the videos show you how to do that.

Signing off for now...

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS