Making Community highlighting more useful

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 11
Jai Reid | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 18 2017 6:18 PM

I generally enjoy seeing what other people have highlighted with the light gray underlining, but this week I ran into a passage in the New American Commentary where for 273 pages, the text from John 1:1 to the end of chapter 6 is completely underlined, which make the underlining annoying rather than helpful. I think Logos needs to set a limit on how much text the community highlight will show. ie. if a large enough section is highlighted that it disregards the highlight, and if a lot of highlights occur in the same section, then the ones that are least high-lighted don't show up (or the underline is much more faint)

Also, I can't seem to find a setting in program settings to turn off this feature. (I tried turning off "show community tags" but that didn't help). If there isn't a way to turn off this feature, I think there should be.

Posts 13366
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 19 2017 2:41 AM

Jai Reid:
Also, I can't seem to find a setting in program settings to turn off this feature. (I tried turning off "show community tags" but that didn't help). If there isn't a way to turn off this feature, I think there should be.

It's in the visual filters menu, and called "Popular Highlights". You left-click can turn it off for a single resource, or right-click to turn it off for every resource.

Posts 13366
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 19 2017 2:46 AM

Jai Reid:
I think Logos needs to set a limit on how much text the community highlight will show. ie. if a large enough section is highlighted that it disregards the highlight, and if a lot of highlights occur in the same section, then the ones that are least high-lighted don't show up (or the underline is much more faint)

This actually happens already. The problem with the large portion you identify is that every paragraph appears to have the same number of highlighters — 20 — so the algorithm that excludes the least-highlighted isn't having an effect.

It seems very strange that exactly 20 people should have highlighted all that. I suspect that either (a) there's an error in the database, or (b) one of the Mobile Ed courses (NT221?) has caused lots of people to highlight the same text.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS