New Academic Blog post is up: Revisionist History of Exodus 32-34

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 98
LogosEmployee
Tavis Bohlinger | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 7 2017 1:45 PM

Joey Dodson has just published an exceptional post that examines a number of early interpretations of Israel's golden calf debacle, including Matthew, Barnabas and Wisdom. He'll be presenting on this topic at ISBL in Berlin this August, so here's a chance to critically engage with his research beforehand:

https://academic.logos.com/revisionist-history-exodus-32-34-in-and-around-the-first-gospel/

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 7 2017 1:52 PM

Tavis Bohlinger:
an exceptional post

Yes

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 7 2017 2:30 PM

I'll probably get whacked over the head.

But none of the referenced authors proposed to be historians writing 'histories' (nor do we even know the authorship). I'm not sure how 'revisionist' is applicable. Choosing and rejecting is part/parcel of any conversation absent a non-stop writer. Hopefully the paper is not the over-simplification of the blog. 

So's to keep this in Logosland, my perspective from the Exo 34 discussion at the moment is from Etienne Nodet's Origens of Judaism, specifically the Danites and associated priesthood (from Moses). This volume also available in Logos.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1803
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 7 2017 2:55 PM

Denise:
I'll probably get whacked over the head.

Surprise  You wont get wracked if you give a link Big Smile 

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 7 2017 3:49 PM

Whew!

https://www.logos.com/product/14900/a-search-for-the-origins-of-judaism-from-joshua-to-the-mishnah specifically chap 3.

I think I've mentioned this book before. My guess is folks get leery when the book summary describes a theory. But the discussion is quite good.

And humorous, when Eusebius and Jerome are battling Josephus over the details, with Bethel and Gilgal looking awfully generic.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 98
LogosEmployee
Tavis Bohlinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 8 2017 1:42 AM

No whacking over the head from me, except to say that it would be great if you could repost this comment, and the corresponding link, on the actual commends thread of the blog. That will allow Joey Dodson a chance to respond, and perhaps benefit from reading Nodet's volume prior to getting whacked over the head at ISBL! Thanks in advance, Denise. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS