What Tablet - Amazon Kindle?

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 25
Colin Bleakney | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 11 2017 6:43 AM

I cannot get to work on my desktop PC at the moment.

I am studying the book of Jonah with the latest Logos study courses.

How much study could I do with the Amazon kindle, as I'm quite sure that I could not download the full Logos software?

I would appreciate any replies as I'm basically bound to my chair in the living room suffering Sciatica and want to complete the studies in Jonah if possible.

thanks to all for your replies, I appreciate it so much,

colin

Posts 2427
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 11 2017 7:08 AM

You can basically read most if not all of your books, search when connected to the Internet, view documents, courses, do passage, exegetical, bible word and topic guides. It also has text comparison, access to media and atlas tools and you can highlight and create notes. It also handles reading plans and prayer lists. It has a dumbed version of the Home page too. You can tap on hyperlinked words, notes, cross references. It has dual window display.

Posts 25
Colin Bleakney | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 11 2017 7:32 AM

Brilliant reply thanks

Posts 114
LMAM | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 11 2017 7:39 AM

Hi Colin,

I recently purchased a Kindle Fire 7 and use it all the time for Logos. Kevin as already given an exhaustive run down of all the features so here are my 2p on usability.

I find it fine for what I need, reading scripture, reading books, reading plans, making notes and doing bible studies (I attach my studies notes via document to the passage itself) and preaching. In fact I was using it for a bible study this morning and it worked a treat, even offline, documents are stored locally so I simply downloaded the bible version I would be using.

On the study front, I am using it atm to read through Calvin's Institutes in a year. As a prodigious note taker and highlighter I find that sometimes highlighting is a little slow to save/sync and occasionally 'drag to highlights' don't register correctly. You also cannot add more than one reference to tag to a note.

The precision of the touch screen is not as exact as an iDevice (you gets whats ya pays for). Also, the screen resolution is not as crisp but this isn't a deal breaker for me. One slightly annoying feature (bug?) is that text doesn't stretch to fit the screen in landscape orientation.

Some have complained of battery issues - I've never experienced any (but that's anecdotal evidence at best).

Feel free to get back to me with any specific questions you might have.

Blessings, Liam

Posts 25
Colin Bleakney | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 11 2017 7:47 AM

Hi Liam thanks for ur reply, really encouraged.

thanks,  Colin

Posts 25
Colin Bleakney | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 30 2017 3:01 PM

Hi Kevin, sorry Its been a while since I last posted due to Sciatica and other mitigating circumstances.

Just to clarify re your answer to me re using Logos on My Kindle Fire.

Am I right in saying that I can use most of the applications and Books, Commentary's etc, just so long I have access to the internet?

Forgive my lapse of memory here, its been quite a long time since I was able to use my PC again,

Thanks so much,

Colin

Posts 2427
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 30 2017 3:31 PM

You can use everything in the mobile app if you have Internet access. However, you can download books and use them offline if needed, you just can't run certain features like some guides.

Try this: Downloading on Android, which is what Kindle Fire uses.

Posts 2025
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 30 2017 4:26 PM

Fire Tablets are good BUT Amazon does not allow access to the Google Play store. 

They require that all apps get approved by Amazon and available on a Amazon store.

Verbum is one app that runs fine on the Fire tablet BUT is not available through Amazon. 

Logos in both English and Spanish are.   

Posts 195
Kevin Olson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 30 2017 7:50 PM

David Ames:

Fire Tablets are good BUT Amazon does not allow access to the Google Play store. 

They require that all apps get approved by Amazon and available on a Amazon store.

Verbum is one app that runs fine on the Fire tablet BUT is not available through Amazon. 

Logos in both English and Spanish are.   

I have the Google framework loaded on my Kindle Fire.  I use apps from the Google Play Store.  

https://newatlas.com/how-to-install-google-apps-kindle-fire-hd-hdx/30736/

As far as running Logos, I use it all the time, but basically as a reading device.  I rarely use it to do in depth Bible study.   The battery gives me about 3-4 hours of reading time, but I have a battery pack if I need to extend that time.  For a $40 tablet, I love it.  

Blessings, 

Kevin 

Posts 2025
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 31 2017 5:48 AM

I have Verbum 4.6.5 453 side loaded on my Kindle Fire but have not been able to find the file to load more recent versions. [[current 5 17 1?]]

It works fine but I also mostly use it as a reader app.

Posts 308
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 31 2017 9:54 AM

I have an older Kindle Fire HD 8" that has slowed down, even after doing a wipe and reload. After it powers up, it's still a little slower than when it was new. I only use it for reading.

The new Kindles are quite a bit better and have more storage. I'm thinking about getting a new 8" or 10" if the black Friday prices are low enough. They're currently priced at $125 and $205 for the larger models with no commercials. I would then attempt to do more than just read with it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, Dale Heath

Posts 3457
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 31 2017 3:24 PM

Ditto other users' comments. I'll add only that I like my late model Kindle Fire 10" tablet for everything but its camera, which IMO isn't very good at all (nowhere near its multi-megapixels potential--mostly blurry pix; I've given up on it). I'm ok with everything else. I do my study leave (deep dive on a Bible book using several Logos commentaries) on the tablet, which I've learned to prefer for reading.

I've used it a time or two for my sermon, but for that I find that I still a prefer paper manuscript.

I'm learning to prefer the tablet for devotional reading of Scripture, as well. For my old eyes, its text is easier to read than the tiny text in my Bible.

Blessings!

The Grace & Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you!
Bill

W8.1 64bit, Office 2016
i7, 2.40GHz, 1Gb graphics, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD
Samsung Galaxy S7, Android 7.0

Posts 390
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 5 2017 4:10 PM

Hiya, I use a kindle 10" HD and love it. I bought it for the sole purpose of using it for Logos. I can read and highlight text etc. Its relatively straightforward to jump down links as well. I it after looking around and it was a lot cheaper than the samsung tablet I had to replace after dropping it.  I have no probems with it and recommend it. There are some things its not so good at which the desk top is, like displaying multiple windows with different resources open in it but if your main joy is just reading and jumping between your resources then the Kindle is ideal. 

Posts 390
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 5 2017 4:12 PM

I've noticed that some people have mentioned the kindle slowing down - I have noticed that if I add too many books mine does to so I am selective of what i load on. I  have about 50 books on and it works very well. If i need any more just remove a couple and add what I want. 

Posts 114
LMAM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 8 2017 12:57 AM

Hi all, 

By way of an update, I recently upgraded to a new Kindle Fire 8 (7th Gen) and can highly recommend it. The crisper text and larger screen make it far superior to my old 7.This is especially noticeable with a second window open. I haven't used it for preaching yet so cannot offer any insights on reliability in the pulpit over against the KF7.

All we need now is the ability to filter which interliner lines display like on iOS.. *cough* Faithlife...?  *cough* ;-)

Posts 308
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 13 2017 5:38 PM

The Staples Black Friday ad has the Kindle Fire HD 10 at $99.99 32GB with ads.

I think you can pay $15 to get the ads removed. I hope Amazon will match these prices on all their Kindles.

Dale Heath

Posts 60
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 14 2017 3:04 PM
How I wish there were an easy way for Logos and Kindle e-readers to get along. The new Kindle Oasis (if I could afford it) and a Logos library would go so well together.
Posts 637
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 14 2017 9:04 PM

It's not as easy as it once was when you could send to Kindle from within Logos, but Mark Barnes wrote up a good tutorial about how to do it manually now.

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/124007.aspx 

I just got the new Oasis and I manually ported over a few books using Mark's instructions. It works well and only involves a few minutes per resource.

Posts 308
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 17 2017 4:37 PM

Dale E Heath:

The Staples Black Friday ad has the Kindle Fire HD 10 at $99.99 32GB with ads.

The same ad has the 7" at $29.99 and the 8" at $49.99. 3 days, Th., Fr., Sa.

Dale Heath

Posts 308
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 18 2017 9:31 AM

The Amazon ad has the same prices as Staples on Kindle Fire HDs. Their timing might be different.

Dale Heath

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.