Personal Book Dictionary Headwords in Information Panel?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 21
JRM | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 16 2017 8:07 PM

Hi,

I've searched everywhere for an answer to this question, but still not luck.

How can I get entries from a Personal Book Dictionary/Encyclopedia to appear in the Information Tool panel when I float over a word in another book?

I have a personal book that I have created from a Public domain dictionary. I'm hoping that it will help me to read the Bible in a language that I am studying. I have inserted Headword milestones and I have prioritized the resource as my favorite dictionary. I would like to float over the word with my mouse and have it appear in the Information Tool panel under "Definition" or even some other section, but I can't seem to make this happen. Right now, the Information Panel returns no results under definition (because its a different language and a completely different character set, none of my other Logos provided dictionaries return any info either)

What am I missing?

Posts 11161
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 17 2017 12:51 AM

JRM:
What am I missing?

from your description it seems you created a PB dictionary for what we would call lemmas in e.g. Greek - entries as headwords in a specific form. Such a dictionary would work even for Greek only if the surface text was by chance in lemma form (otherwise you'd need a database entry for the lemma in the resource, i.e. morphological tagging) - otherwise you'd need to build an 'analytical' lexicon that contains all words in all grammatical forms that appear in the text, which is virtually impossible in many languages. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1813
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 17 2017 2:20 AM

JRM:

Determine if this is analogous to your situation:

I coverted a Kindle format Fr-En dictionary for my wife to use with French resources in Logos. It was a pain in the hind parts, but Logos didn't have such an animal (probably still doesn't). If I set the headwords in MS Word to "French", it works in the Info window. If you have the headwords in a Word Style, you can modify the style for Language, and that should do it. If the headwords aren't in a Word Style, but have unique formatting, you select the first one, choose Home--Select--similar formatting, then apply the style, then modify Languge in the style. If neither of those conditions, just select the whole docx and set to the foreign language, This would kill the English words in the dictionary for lookup on themselves, but it might be the only solution.

Life is much simpler when Logos sells the dictionary you need.

Win 10 | Android 9 | Fire OS 5

Posts 21
JRM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 17 2017 12:08 PM

Thanks. The language is Chinese, so I think it should be quite simple because there are virtually no grammatical forms. I don't think an extensive database is needed.

Posts 1813
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 17 2017 12:20 PM

Also, if your docx is in Unicode characters, and since your foreign language is non-Western, you should be able to isolate for language-marking with techniques in this post:  https://community.logos.com/forums/p/136855/886048.aspx#886048

Posts 21
JRM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 17 2017 12:32 PM

Thanks for your help. I had set the language for each headword milestone, but had not manually set the language in the MS Word formatting for the foreign language text. However, when I checked, Word did a perfect job of automatically detecting the language of my text (since Chinese is a completely unique character set. So, still nothing appears in the the Info panel

Still,  I went ahead a tried setting the whole document to Chinese, still nothing in the info panel.  Any other ideas?

Posts 1813
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 17 2017 12:53 PM

Sorry, I'm out of ideas, other than to speculate whether or not the resource(s) you're reading were properly marked, or do many variations in a language complicate the issue?

Posts 21
JRM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 17 2017 8:18 PM

Anyone else out there have ideas. I'm attaching a screen shot of the docx file in case anyone can notice something that is really off. I used blue formatting to make sure the language formatting was applied only to the Chinese characters.

Posts 21
JRM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 17 2017 8:25 PM

NB Mick, are you saying I should simply set the Type of my book as Lexicon instead of Dictionary? Since there are no grammatical forms, I wonder if it makes a difference.

Posts 21
JRM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 17 2017 9:23 PM

One quick correction: I think I was supposed to set the language in the headword. Is that correct? ("zh" is the abbreviation for Chinese). It still doesn't work, so I wonder if there is something completely different to look into.

Posts 351
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 17 2017 10:46 PM

There could also be a problem here with the word boundaries in Chinese? If you have a single Chinese character with spaces before and after in your book, where the individual character also exists as a headword in the dictionary, does it work then?

Can you get to the dictionary by right-clicking the text in a Chinese resource (or by first selecting the 2 or 3 characters which might be considered a word and then right-clicking)?

One more thing to try: The character mark behind the headword seems to have a different format than the text - can you make them all the same and try again?

Did you check, if Logos actually list Chinese headwords? To see, open the dictionary in Logos, click on the circled 'i' in the top right corner and go down to indexes. It should say "Chinese headwords".

Posts 351
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 17 2017 11:37 PM

As I had been planning to convert a Chinese dictionary to Logos format for a while anyway, I just did a quick try with a mockup test dictionary. I can confirm that the info panel will not show entries from the Chinese dictionary for multi-character words, but it does work for individual characters. The only way to lookup words with more than one character is to select the complete word, right-click and then select the dictionary from there.

There was a similar discussion about Thai in this thread with the same result:

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/99804/690431.aspx#690431

I wonder if the result would be different with Chinese dictionaries produced by Logos, I don't own any (actually, there seems to be only one available right now: 英漢神學名詞辭典 A Dictionary of Theological Terms).

Posts 21
JRM | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 18 2017 5:56 AM

Hmmm. . . I'm glad the issue is becoming more clear, and thank you for running the test. Does anyone else out there know how to get Logos to correctly parse multi-character words in a sentence? In my Chinese Bibles, there are hardly any individual characters with space on both sides. I'm a little surprised the the Chinese Bibles that I purchased from Logos don't have the parsing data already imbedded. One of them has original language reverse interlinear data, which I think would be far more complex.

Posts 351
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 18 2017 8:29 AM

JRM:
In my Chinese Bibles, there are hardly any individual characters with space on both sides.

Actually, I found that even without spaces, the info tool works for individual characters. But I agree that this would seem to be a matter that would need to be addressed.

I just posted in the Chinese forum with a link to this thread - maybe there will be an official answer there, see  https://community.logos.com/forums/p/140732/897161.aspx#897161

Posts 21
JRM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 4 2017 7:05 PM

I've returned to watching both this forum and the one you posted too. Doesn't look like there has been any reply yet. Is there any hope of reviving this thread and finding a solution? or should I start a new thread?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS