Bible Word Study Phrases Queries

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 447
PJ | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 2 2017 9:14 AM

When doing a BWS for υἱός the results under Phrases Section have very long queries. For instance the query for υἱοῖς Ἰσραήλ = (<Lemma = lbs/el/υἱός> BEFORE 1 WORD <Lemma = lbs/el/Ἰσραήλ>) OR (<Lemma = lbs/el/υἱός> BEFORE 1 CHAR <Lemma = lbs/el/Ἰσραήλ>) OR (<Lemma = lbs/el/υἱός> BEFORE 1 WORD <Lemma = lbs/el/Ἰσραήλ>) OR (<Lemma = lbs/el/υἱός> BEFORE 1 WORD <Lemma = lbs/el/Ἰσραήλ>) OR (<Lemma = lbs/el/υἱός> BEFORE 1 CHAR <Lemma = lbs/el/Ἰσραήλ>) OR (<Lemma = lbs/el/υἱός> BEFORE 1 WORD <Lemma = lbs/el/Ἰσραήλ>)

The Search returns 104 results in 13 verses.

When I delete the duplicates from this query to make it shorter (<Lemma = lbs/el/υἱός> BEFORE 1 WORD <Lemma = lbs/el/Ἰσραήλ>) OR (<Lemma = lbs/el/υἱός> BEFORE 1 CHAR <Lemma = lbs/el/Ἰσραήλ>)

The Search returns 26 results in 13 verses.

Obviously 104 means that the query was repeated 4 times?

Are there any hidden reasons why these queries are presented like this or are the shorter version correct.

Posts 3708
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 2 2017 11:00 AM

Hi Pieter,

I'll take a look at this. 

Posts 3708
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 2 2017 1:11 PM

Hi Pieter,

Both quries should display the same result count. I'll get a case written up.

Posts 3708
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 2 2017 2:19 PM

Hey Pieter,

After talking with someone else on our team, they confirmed that this is actually the correct behavior for "OR" searches. The matching results are overlayed over each other.

Posts 27247
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 2 2017 3:27 PM

Perhaps so, but why have duplicated and overlapping expressions and veil the real count? 111 in 40 verses is surely better than 311 in 40 verses.

Why have terms with CHAR units which return no results?

It would also help if the correct options were set in the Search tab; especially the bible, which should not be an RI.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 447
PJ | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 2 2017 11:06 PM

I suppose this is correct?

13 hits for: <Lemma = lbs/el/υἱός>

13 hits for: <Lemma = lbs/el/Ἰσραήλ>

Does all queries in the Verses View count the number of hits for each separate term or do they sometimes count the complete concatenation of terms as a single hit?

Should I then use Analysis view Grouped by Lemma to interpret the HitCount?

If analysis view is the way to go then my initial question about the hitcount is partially answered.

I also agree that it is the correct behavior for "OR" searches, but, that doesn't imply that the initial query created by the software is correct? Why would I want to duplicate terms, is there a type of nesting of terms (reason) that could influence results for queries in general that I don't grasp?

Posts 3708
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 3 2017 2:35 PM

Pieter and Dave,

In digging further it does look like there is a bug with this feature. I'll get a case written up.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS