PC vs Android comparison

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
Eric Stishan | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 8 2017 7:30 AM

I'm brand new to the Logos world and I was wondering if there's anything I would be missing by using the Android version of Logos instead of the Windows version. The reason I ask is I have a Chromebook, which supports Android that I typically use for seminary and church-related functions, whereas the PC is much larger and heavier and was bought primarily for video production.

I have access to both, obviously, but I'm wondering if I could just install the Android application on the Chromebook and end up with the same experience, more or less, than if I were to install the Windows version. Thanks!

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 8 2017 8:02 AM

The Android version is a glorified reader with considerably less functionality than the PC version. And it has restrictions. For instance, you cannot lookup lemmas or guides offline in the Android version. Not all resources are readable from the Android version either. The list of differences is actually quite long. The PC version is the full deal. The Android version is a "mobile" step-down, more useful as a mobile companion than as a substitute. 

Posts 30876
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 8 2017 10:22 AM

First, welcome to the forums Eric!

Francis did a good job answering. The mobile apps aren't intended to be a replacement for the desktop app. The mobile apps do a great job of basic tasks like reading & highlighting. I would much rather use my iPad for those functions than my MacBook. Deeper study or content creation (i.e. writing sermons) require (or at least cry out for) the desktop version. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 8 2017 10:35 AM

A desktop app like experience can be achieved I am told on a chromebook via the WEB APP... which currently is only available to NOW subscribers. I think they are coming close to parity to the actual desktop app with that... Unlike the the Android app which has limited use offline of books you can download to your device the WEB APP requires an active connection to do anything.  Also Web APP/Mobiles apps have no personal book support. and there are a handful of books that are not mobile enabled (contracts do not allow usage except on traditional desktop/laptop operating systems). Although two that most affect me the Jerome Biblical Commentary and the Oxford Bible Commentary have not been available for purchase for well over a decade. So a Chromebook with the Android APP installed and utilizing the WEB APP may give you a good experience but I have yet to use the WEB APP not being a NOW user but alabama24 might be able to tell you more of the WEB APP's abilities.

-dan

Posts 26058
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 8 2017 11:11 AM

Dan Francis:
the WEB APP... which currently is only available to NOW subscribers. I think they are coming close to parity to the actual desktop app with that

It is developing well - and there have been a lot of enhancements in the last few months. But it still doesn't provide the full functionality of the desktop app and the focus is on providing the best functionality for the web which might be different - see https://community.logos.com/forums/p/140482/896027.aspx#896027 for some context around this

For example - as you can see below - while you can execute a Passage Guide not all the sections in the desktop are available

Similarly not all the desktop tools are available

While it does support notes these do not currently sync with the desktop environment - with the last I heard it being intended that these will merge with the current notes environment into something new. Again see https://community.logos.com/forums/p/139811/891714.aspx#891714 for context.

So it is coming along really well but not yet close to parity - and my guess is that both will evolve together.

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 8 2017 11:33 AM

As said earlier, the Android version is a glorified reader; but being a glorified reader, it is also a slow reader. LOGOG really needs to make an app that is optimized for reading, not part reader- part study tool. It is too slow to read and too hindered to use for study.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 2861
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 8 2017 5:44 PM

The problem with the Android version is that it is highly dependent on a decent tablet. I have it on three tablets, but only one is fast enough to use reasonably well. If you are shopping for an Android tablet get at least 1.5 GB (2GB or more preferable) RAM if you want to do anything other than read.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 30876
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 8 2017 6:18 PM

Floyd Johnson:
it is also a slow reader

What makes it slow to you? 

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 8 2017 8:33 PM

alabama24:
What makes it slow to you?

Compared to the Kindle or Book - either the device or the apps - it is slow as it loads books, turns pages, inserting mark-ups, etc. It tries to do too much. We need a good reader, not another study tool.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 30876
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 8 2017 8:38 PM

I am curious about your experience. I can't tell any difference between the Kindle and Logos apps in terms of "speed" on my iPad. What device do you have?

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 8 2017 10:55 PM

Even Kevin mentioned the Android had poor performance scrolling and such compared to the iOS so this doesn't surprise me any, even in iOS under an iPad Pro I have issues scrolling. Trying to get o where I want scrolling a long I can often hit jams where it won't go and have to wait a moment, this is far beyond any reading speed but often the passage guide has. Book opened to the start and you want ro get to a different section. 

-dan

Posts 1192
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 9 2017 5:26 AM

I'd like to offer a slightly different perspective - it depends on what you want to do.  If you primarily want to read books, and perhaps look up an occasional work or reference, then the Android app on a tablet is perfect.  If you want to write an academic paper, or translate from the original languages, the desktop is a much better tool.  I use both depending on what I happen to be doing at the time.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS