BUG - verse numbering in Psalms

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 413
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 17 2017 11:51 AM

I've noticed a few resources that don't show up properly in reports on a project I'm doing on a Psalm.  It looks like the verse numbering is off, because these resources count the superscript as a separate verse:

Book of Common Prayer Psalter 1928

Book of Common Prayer Psalter 1662

"Jewish School and Family Bible"

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Trekstor Primebook/Celeron/4GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Posts 958
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 17 2017 1:01 PM

I don't know that that what you're seeing is improper.  Some bible translations number the superscriptions (NABRE for example) to coincide with the Hebrew text and because of their liturgical use in Jewish tradition.

I'm not sure if you could influence this by some prioritization ... someone with more expertise may be able to advise.  You may want to do some research on your own to identify the source of the underlying data for the Psalters you mention.

Here is the note I see in Vol. 19 of the WBC:

There are some differences in the numbering of verses between the Hebrew Bible and most English versions. In the Hebrew text, titles which consist of more than a word or two are normally set off as the first verse of the psalm (e.g. Ps 3:1) and on one occasion as the first two verses (Ps 51:1–2). In most English versions (e.g. KJV or RSV), the titles are separated from the psalms and the verse following the title is numbered as the first verse. Thus Ps 3:2 (Hebrew) = Ps 3:1 (English).

Peter C. Craigie, Psalms 1–50, 2nd ed., vol. 19, Word Biblical Commentary (Nashville, TN: Nelson Reference & Electronic, 2004), 43.

Hope that helps a little.

Posts 413
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 18 2017 4:57 AM

When I run, e.g., a Text Comparison on Psalm 98:2 in all my Bibles, typically the same verse is retrieved, no matter the numbering system in the particular version.  I'm guessing that those that use the Hebrew numbering system are realigned "under the hood" to match the English numbering system for searching and reports.  But these three resources don't "realign" (I have given many resources my own "short titles," but the three highlighted resources are the ones I'm writing about):

Posts 1085
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 18 2017 8:48 AM

These Psalters are unique and extremely difficult to create verse maps that have 100% precision

The first half of Psalm 98:2 aligns with Psalm 98:1 (or 97:1) in many translations. However the second half of Psalm 98:2 aligns with Psalm 98:2. So we could have mapped it to 98:1 but then the back half would be off.

Posts 413
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 18 2017 10:00 AM

Thank you, Kyle, for the very interesting insight!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS