How can old tags be cleared from the search tab?

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 33 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 24 2010 11:07 PM

I tagged some resources in my library, and later I changed my mind and removed them.  I just noticed that they still show up as search options on my search tab.  Of course they don't function, but they do take up space and clutter my options list. How can I clear them?

Posts 27918
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 11:13 PM

They should disappear within, say, 6 hours!  Let us know.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 11:16 PM

Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I deleted the tags several days ago...is something happening in the next 6 hours that hasn't happened in past few days?

Posts 27918
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 12:00 AM

DHG:
I deleted the tags several days ago...

Let's be clear we are talking about mytag: names that appear in the resource picker for Basic Search?

I just checked mine and the picker included the tags I have in Library when I click the My Tags column. I had deleted one tag a few days ago and it was not in the list. The 6 hours is sufficient time for changes to percolate thru the system, so it looks like there could be a problem:-

• what is the tag name
  • is it listed when you click the My Tags column?

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 12:33 AM

Thanks for the help.

I deleted all my library tags. So, as you'd expect, when I sort by tags, none are listed. However, on my search tab I still see the following tags:

• mytag:Calvin's Commentaries
  • mytag:Harmonies of the Gospels
  • mytag:Works by A.W. Pink
  • mytag:Works by Alexander MacLaren
  • mytag:Works by C.H. Spurgeon
  • mytag:Works by Jonathan Edwards

I tried to replicate the error, but couldn't.  I tagged my 15 Berkhof resources, sorted by tags, no problem.  I selected all 15 resources, cleared my tags, and it was automatically cleared from my search tab.  For some reason these 6 mytags remain.

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 12:47 AM

Posts 27918
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:48 AM

DHG:

• mytag:Calvin's Commentaries
  • mytag:Harmonies of the Gospels
  • mytag:Works by A.W. Pink
  • mytag:Works by Alexander MacLaren
  • mytag:Works by C.H. Spurgeon
  • mytag:Works by Jonathan Edwards

Add one of the above tags to one resource, repeat for the other tags on different resources and wait a few minutes. Check what appears in the search picker. Then delete the tags.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 2:49 AM

Tried it several times, even variations, no change.

Posts 27918
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 10:51 PM

DHG:

I've created this Bug report - http://wiki.logos.com/Bug$3a_Some_Tags_are_not_removed_from_lists

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 27918
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 10:54 PM

DHG:

How do you remove the tags?

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 12:29 AM

I removed them 2 ways. I selected more than one title in my library and then used the "clear tags" button. I also tried selecting a single title, highlighting the tag itself, and then deleteing it by leaving the field blank.

Is that what you were asking?

Posts 19642
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 12:37 AM

Something I noticed about all these mytags entries in your Search resources list is that they all have spaces in them but no quotes around the phrase. I thought maybe that was the clue, so I tagged one of my resources with a multi-word tag. I verified that it showed up in my Search resources dropdown. Then I removed the tag. It was gone from the Search list. So that blows my theory!

It does tell me that there must be something weird about those few tags you can't get rid of from your Search dropdown though. Do you remember if they were they created in a beta version, or all around the same time? Maybe there was a bug in the version you created those tags in which is gone now.

Maybe there is some databse file you can delete that will remove these. It might require a Logos employee to respond to that possibility.

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 1:01 AM

Nope, I wasn't using a beta version; I've never installed one.

I could be wrong, but I suspect it happened while I was tinkering. I remember selecting all my resources and clearing the tags I was experimenting with. Logos crashed. I restarted and didn't notice any problems.  Much later (probably a couple days) I noticed the residual tags in my search picker.

Posts 2765
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 1:45 AM

There is no seperate database for these user-tags Rosie Sad its held in the main catalog.db in 2 seperate tables.

I have not found the table which holds the search history(yet)

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 19642
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 2:00 AM

DominicM:

There is no seperate database for these user-tags Rosie Sad its held in the main catalog.db in 2 seperate tables.

I have not found the table which holds the search history(yet) 

Maybe his catalog.db file is corrupted then. Dominic, if you are able to read this database file and see what's inside it, would you be able to debug DHG's catalog.db and see if it still refers to those deleted tags? Is the catalog.db file something that could get rebuilt from scratch by Logos the way the index can be? I wouldn't recommend deleting it to find out! Otherwise, maybe they need to implement some integrity checks on it in Logos and be able to fix it on the fly if it gets corrupted.

Posts 2765
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 2:07 AM

[EDIT]

Ok, if I add new tag to 1 book and then search it it appears, but when I delete it (by clicking pencil and removing tag) it is deleted from the table.

searching for that tag again, from history brings up no results.. same for 2 books

If searching for that tag brings up results then AFAICT there is still a book(s) tagged.

Posts 19642
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 2:09 AM

DominicM:

I could however will add a tag to a book mine and delete it

I've tried doing that already and couldn't reproduce his bug. I think it had something to do with the fact that Logos crashed while he was tinkering with these tags.

Posts 2765
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 2:18 AM

[EDIT] without someone at Logos looking at the file I would say some corruption has occurred..

Posts 19642
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 2:25 AM

DominicM:

[EDIT] without someone at Logos looking at the file I would say some corruption has occurred..

That file is likely to be enormous. Mine is 37 MB. Not something you can easily email to Logos or post here to get feedback on whether it is corrupt. DHS, since nobody from Logos has noticed this thread and it's not likely to get noticed because it isn't a bug report in the PC Beta forum, you might need to call or email Customer Support and tell them you think you have a corruption in your catalog.db file (include a link to this thread for the background on why you think that), and ask if you can send it to them on a CD for diagnosis. Or maybe they have a private ftp site that you could upload it to for that purpose. I think we've done all we can do to help you.

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 2:37 AM

Thank you so much for trying! I emailed CS, explained the issue, and included a link to this thread. God bless!

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS